Old 08-19-2015, 05:39 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Town , Iowa
I agree it's all personal choice. With me, I'm to tight and didn't want to spend the extra $$ to to put in another controller. I like a clean look and the dash display.

TinTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Augusta , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Aren't your brakes Electric drum brakes?
I will have to check. You may be correct, in which case my possitive reply could have been misleading. I just remember that everything I read prior to buying my truck, was possible non compatibility and I was pretty surprised when I hooked it up and all was good.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by submirj View Post
I will have to check. You may be correct, in which case my possitive reply could have been misleading. I just remember that everything I read prior to buying my truck, was possible non compatibility and I was pretty surprised when I hooked it up and all was good.
Yeah, all years of GM ITBCs work with electric drums....it's the discs that are incompatible as described in my prior post.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:17 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
I wonder if you could purchase a 2015 gm control and put it in my 2009 HD I really don't want to buy an aftermarket controller
Old 09-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfox45 View Post
I wonder if you could purchase a 2015 gm control and put it in my 2009 HD I really don't want to buy an aftermarket controller
No, it is a completely different electrical architecture. These ITBCs are in the software communication buss (LAN) and interact with ABS, Stabilitrac, throttle, etc. sensors. It's not a doable thing.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Splice an electric trailer brake magnet to the hydraulic hot lead. Ground it to the trailer chassis. Worth a try.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Thanks for all the replies I have passed up 2 Classics now because of the disc brakes not being able to work with my truck . I didn't know what year classics had disc brakes but I know all 06's do according to Airstream tec. support . I need to get this figured out soon before I miss another one .
Old 10-05-2015, 08:03 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
I chose to use a Direclink controller instead.
Did you bypass the stock controller? If so can you describe your technique?

Thank you.

ww
Old 10-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes, if you bypass the ITBC for any aftermarket controller you must cut the blue brake apply wire and install the aftermarket brake power output wire to the umbilical connector side of the previously cut blue wire. I usually do that all the way back at the rear bumper. It's easiest to access there. That means running a new (12ga) wire from under the dash all the way back to the connector.

The rest of the controller connections are attached to the provided blunt cut controller harness under the dash, just like any other install.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Yes, if you bypass the ITBC for any aftermarket controller you must cut the blue brake apply wire and install the aftermarket brake power output wire to the umbilical connector side of the previously cut blue wire. I usually do that all the way back at the rear bumper. It's easiest to access there. That means running a new (12ga) wire from under the dash all the way back to the connector.

The rest of the controller connections are attached to the provided blunt cut controller harness under the dash, just like any other install.
I hope you'll forgive my ignorance however if you can spare the time I would really appreciate a more detailed description of the wiring connections. If I understand correctly you ran an independent blue wire back to the 7 way connector. What I am unclear about is where exactly under the dash the other end is connected. I ran a separate 10 ga blue wire from the back of the DirecLink to the bumper and I get nothing, the factory blue blunt cut is unconnected and taped off. I have heard of others that spliced somewhere below the circuit breaker box, I have no idea where to do this.

I would pay $$$ for someone to guide me through this as I can't find anyone in the Seattle/Tacoma area that seems to have a clue as to what is going on here. I saw one of your earlier posts on this subject which was very illuminating however I still have no brakes.

Thank you for your patience.

ww
Old 10-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Up under the dash, in the area around the steering column, you will find, if your truck was built with the towing package, several blunt cut wires taped up to another harness.

I can't gain access to my technical database this morning, for some reason.....I'll post more when I can get into the system. Did you find them and connect them to your controller?

Old 10-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Up under the dash, in the area around the steering column, you will find, if your truck was built with the towing package, several blunt cut wires taped up to another harness.

I can't gain access to my technical database this morning, for some reason.....I'll post more when I can get into the system. Did you find them and connect them to your controller?
I found the blunt cut "harness" quite easily and connected all but the blue wire to the DirecLink controller per the instructions. I then connected an independent 10 ga blue wire to the controller and ran it back to the 7 way connector at the bumper. I think this must be wrong because I do not get any voltage when the brake is applied.

In your earlier posts you provided some very excellent quality photos showing your splice below the circuit breaker panel however your wiring harness looks slightly different than my own.

I just can't figure out where to make these connections and the GM tech sheet that you so graciously provided might just as well have been written in Chinese as far as my understanding goes. I am reluctant to start chopping up a rather large wire bundle without having some confidence that I am doing the right thing, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again for taking an interest is this most perplexing issue.

ww
Old 10-05-2015, 09:02 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
WW, PM me your email address. I have bulletin and info to send, but the pictures won't copy over to the posting system.