Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Advantage/Disadvantage

Our trailer is needing new brakes. Since the trailer also has the original axles, we thought it is also the time to have them changed.

Before we order the whole assembly. We would like to know of any advantage/disadvantage of the 10" versus the 12" brakes for our 31 footer.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
There are no disadvantages to a 12" brake. Where are you getting your axles from?

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
No drawbacks to 12" brakes. We replaced the original axels and 10" brakes with new axels and 12" brakes. Only thing to be aware of is that you'll need to jack the trailer up high enough for the 12" brakes to slide under the frame if you're doing the work yourself. We learned that the hard way, but then, our trailer sat on blocks for a few years after we took the old axels off before getting the new axels.
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
There are no disadvantages to a 12" brake. Where are you getting your axles from?

good luck!
Thanks for the information.

We haven't quite decided on who to get them from.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
No drawbacks to 12" brakes. We replaced the original axels and 10" brakes with new axels and 12" brakes. Only thing to be aware of is that you'll need to jack the trailer up high enough for the 12" brakes to slide under the frame if you're doing the work yourself. We learned that the hard way, but then, our trailer sat on blocks for a few years after we took the old axels off before getting the new axels.
Thank you very much for the information. We will make sure to block it up higher
Old 10-13-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Get the 12" brakes,bigger is better....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstream View Post
...We haven't quite decided on who to get them from.
If you choose to get Dexter and are near a dealer (and have the time) you can get them without a shipping charge. When we got ours, it took 6 weeks but the axles came to the dealer included with their regular shipment. Something to think about... if you are near a dealer. Good luck.
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
[QUOTE=OilnH2o;1696566[I]].......If you choose to get Dexter and are near a dealer.........[/[/I]QUOTE]

If we go with ordering from a local Dexter place. Will they put on the part for the shocks? Or did you have to find someone to weld the part on?

When you put yours on, was it drop the old and put the new one up? Did you have to make any modifications to the new axle or to the AS running gear?
Old 10-14-2015, 09:07 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Belegedhel[/B];1696404]There are no disadvantages to a 12" brake. Where are you getting your axles from?

good luck!

Did you get your axles locally?
Old 10-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
No, I ordered mine through Colin Hyde. I had to have it shipped to a place with loading dock, etc., and there is a shipping terminal just of the north 610 loop that served the purpose at no extra charge, so that is where I had it dropped off/held so that I could come pick it up.

Reason I asked where you were getting yours from, is that I was just curious if you had found a local supplier. Ordering through Colin was pretty painless, as about the only information you need to have is the year and model of your trailer. Anyway ordering that way, the 12" drums are pretty much standard.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
[QUOTE=Starstream;1697137]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o;1696566[I
]......

If we go with ordering from a local Dexter place. Will they put on the part for the shocks? Or did you have to find someone to weld the part on?

When you put yours on, was it drop the old and put the new one up? Did you have to make any modifications to the new axle or to the AS running gear?
You have to give them their own reference numbers (see some of the threads from Dumpster to get those pdf files) to get the shock mounts on - but they came already welded on. However, we ended up cutting them off and re-welding them on because they were slightly off. That is an advantage with some of the other suppliers, including Colin Hyde.

It was "drop off" easy enough - but putting them back on required about two of the eight holes to be recentered - and I used a "cutter" for that, but some use drills. By the recentered I mean some of the holes lined up, and at least two, maybe three were off enough that they had to be re-done. Why? I suppose because they are essentially making that set of axles a 'custom' job per your Airstream drawings - which are theirs, but I guess they don't do enough of them to keep them at hand. Thus, they all looked okay but were still slightly off. If I were doing it again, I'd order the shock hangers but have them loose, which they can do as well.

I suggest if you do it yourself, find someone with experience or at least the tools and have them help. I couldn't have done it by myself, without another set of knowledgeable hands. Plus, he had the welder and knew what to do!
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:35 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
No, I ordered mine through Colin Hyde. I had to have it shipped to a place with loading dock, etc., and there is a shipping terminal just of the north 610 loop that served the purpose at no extra charge, so that is where I had it dropped off/held so that I could come pick it up.

Reason I asked where you were getting yours from, is that I was just curious if you had found a local supplier. Ordering through Colin was pretty painless, as about the only information you need to have is the year and model of your trailer. Anyway ordering that way, the 12" drums are pretty much standard.

good luck!
We found a place in Dallas that make semi-custom torsion axles but their 3,500lb axles only come in a 10" drum. In order to get the 12", would have to go up to a 5,000lb axle which is out of the comfort zone of the original 3,200lb Henschen.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
[QUOTE=OilnH2o;1697430]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstream View Post

You have to give them their own reference numbers (see some of the threads from Dumpster to get those pdf files) to get the shock mounts on - but they came already welded on. However, we ended up cutting them off and re-welding them on because they were slightly off. That is an advantage with some of the other suppliers, including Colin Hyde.

It was "drop off" easy enough - but putting them back on required about two of the eight holes to be recentered - and I used a "cutter" for that, but some use drills. By the recentered I mean some of the holes lined up, and at least two, maybe three were off enough that they had to be re-done. Why? I suppose because they are essentially making that set of axles a 'custom' job per your Airstream drawings - which are theirs, but I guess they don't do enough of them to keep them at hand. Thus, they all looked okay but were still slightly off. If I were doing it again, I'd order the shock hangers but have them loose, which they can do as well.

I suggest if you do it yourself, find someone with experience or at least the tools and have them help. I couldn't have done it by myself, without another set of knowledgeable hands. Plus, he had the welder and knew what to do!
Thank you for the info. I'll search for the pdf's.

Just to make sure I understand, when you say having the hangers loose. Do you mean having them welded on after you get the axles and put them on?