Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2005, 01:21 PM   #1

Thumbs up Adjuster spring falls off a lot

We just bought and have been living on a brand new 2005 22' International CCD for 2 weeks. Within this time frame the adjuster spring has fallen off 4 different times. This has happened iin both of the front wheels. We had them serviced after each failure. The first one happened within 4 minutes of driving it off the showroom floor. The other 3 times they fell off within 50 miles of driving to different campgrounds. The first failure the fallen spring was put back on. The second failure the spring broke so they replaced the spring. The third time they replaced the spring and adjusted the brakes. The 4th time we were 3 hours from home and were directed to a service shop in the area by Airstream dealer. Airstream dealer had parts shipped to them from Dexter: a new brake kit and 3 replacement adjuster springs. The mechanic there wasn't sure how the springs would ever stay on because he could easily pop them off as installed. So he advised to install the adjuster spring above the adjuster (closer to magnet) and not below the adjuster as the brake kit intallation instuctions show. This provided a more secure location for spring so that the spring won't pop off. Dexter and airstream dealer was ok with mechanics suggestion. We were able to drive 240 miles on freeways without the springs falling off where we are now. I am a little nervous about this since the springs are now installed differently then the brake kit was designed for. After 2 weeks I'm glad we have a patch to get us on our way and certainly appreaciate all the help. Lots of head scratching by all involved on this one. I will be speaking to the dealer (who has been very helpful) again to understand if this will be safe as a permanent fix but am curious if anyone else has had similar repitive issues. I am also interested to know if anyone else has installed the adjuster spring above the ajuster (not on top of but above).
jamtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
jamtravel.

What you describe can happen, if the left hand brake assembly is mounted on the right, and the right hand brake assembly is mounted on the left.

I would highly suspect that being the case, since you are having the problem on just the front axle.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
jamtravel.

What you describe can happen, if the left hand brake assembly is mounted on the right, and the right hand brake assembly is mounted on the left.

I would highly suspect that being the case, since you are having the problem on just the front axle.

Andy
Genius, just pure genius. I am amazed at the stuff Andy knows.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:45 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
My first reaction was to say the barkes need to be adjusted so they are tighter.

And if they are the the adjuster falls off the adjuster is backing out. If the threads for the adjusters are different (right hand and left hand threads) from side to side the experience of Andy is good to have. The adjusters are moving and not in a good way.

Let us know if that is what you found.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-14-2005, 03:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Amazingly, we had a trailer come in today, with the same problem, on one of the axles.

Turns out, the left brake was on the right and the right brake was on the left.

How easy, but how frustrating, that someone put them on backwards.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:24 PM   #6

Interesting!

I am currently about 5-7 days from a shop where we can get the wheels off and look at the right/left brake positioning on the trailer. I am currently in a very small town and parked for 5 more days. This is helpful and I appreciate the info. Why is it that the left/right position is critical to hold a spring in? Is it the resulting direction of the threads on the adjuster?

Thanks much!
Old 06-14-2005, 03:30 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Places to start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Amazingly, we had a trailer come in today, with the same problem, on one of the axles.

Turns out, the left brake was on the right and the right brake was on the left.

Andy
Jamtravel,

Being somewhat familiar with the Dexter electric brake assemblies there are two methods (easy ones) that can help you establish if RH and LH brakes are on the wrong side.

As Andy stated it is a fairly common problem.

Look for the following:
  • A marking on the back of the backing plate such as L or LH / R or RH. Sometimes stamped into the steel.
  • If markings do not appear on the backing plate exterior, Dexter sometimes uses a sticker on the inside of the backing plate. Thus, the hub would have to be removed for inspection.

Regards,

Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:31 PM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The threads on one side will be left handed and the threads on the other side will be right handed.

Sounds like they were made that way to keep the adjuster spread out so they keep the brake shoes in close contact with the drum as the shoes wear.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-14-2005, 03:33 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamtravel
Why is it that the left/right position is critical to hold a spring in? Is it the resulting direction of the threads on the adjuster?

Thanks much!
Most electric brakes utilize two different size shoes on the backing plate. You want to make sure that the leading shoe is in the proper position for the brake to function as it should.

Regards,

Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You should refer to this diagram to be sure the brakes are installed correctly. It's possible the brakes are on the correct side, and only the adjuster screws were mixed up.
http://www.lowcosttrailersupplies.co...c%20brakes.htm
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:09 AM   #11

Mechanic confirmed brakes are on correct side

I talked to the mechanic who worked on the brakes 2 weeks ago and he confirmed that he checked that the right brake and left brake were on the correct sides. This is interesting that the adjuster spring could be the issue. I will have that checked at one point. I am not a mechanic and will need help with this so I will wait till we get in to see a mechanic. I hope that the adjuster spring now mounted over (above not on top) of the adjuster is not doing damage in the meantime. We have driven 11000 miles with it that way and no springs are falling off!