Old 05-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I still have my (non- recalled, I believe) Actibrake version 2. I would like to offer my theoretical input, drawing on my knowledge of automotive hydraulic power brake systems.
I haven't done my own research on competitive brands of actuators, so I am looking for input, as well as links to be posted to manuals and info relative to operational descriptions.

My belief is that the only way to have no lag time upon application is to incorporate a high pressure accumulator (like autos) so when the pedal is applied you already have pressurized fluid at the ready for brake pad application. Bleeding helps, of course, but the lag time to build pressure creates a delayed application.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I agree even after bleeding there is a brief lag. Perhaps if the actuator was positioned closer to the wheels there would be no lag?

Old 05-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #17
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I have no noticible lag/ delay with mine. When I hit the brakes, my trailer stops..... better than my truck.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
There seems to be a challenge in these trailer brake pump designs that relates to how fast it pressures the system as well as the feathering, if you will, of how much pressure is generated. Reading other information on line there are many variations on the theme of these brake conversions from drum brakes.

From the sounds I hear, the Titan pump on our unit must be a fixed speed motor and a electronically controlled pressure relief valve does the modulation of pressure based upon the signal coming down the blue wire. So this interaction plays into the issues of any air in the line and the mechanical issue of uneven retraction of the brake pucks due to lateral movement forces on the wheels (scrubbing the tires) when making turns that slightly move the pucks inwards.

This chain of thought would lead one to think we have different "gaps" between the discs and the brake pads as another variable on how quickly brake action starts.

I will become more informed Tuesday when I bypass the Dodge factory brake controller using a DirecLink brake controller.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:33 AM   #19
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Stationary I can press slightly on the brake and hear the Carlisle at a low starting growl or press harder and you hear it ramp up. This is also the Maxbrake doing its job of responding to the brake system pressure.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We are on a rally this weekend, but on the way here I timed the delay several times and it seems to be right at one second.

While visiting with a friend in the club I learned his 2000 34' SO has Kelsey Hayes caliper which are single piston and so do not have the issues with bleeding as the later model brakes.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Stationary I can press slightly on the brake and hear the Carlisle at a low starting growl or press harder and you hear it ramp up. This is also the Maxbrake doing its job of responding to the brake system pressure.
I have done the same test, and when I see the tail lights, I can hear the Actibrake working. However, when driving, there is the slight delay. Don't know if this is normal, or if there is still some air in the system, and really don't know of a better way to bleed them to remove possible air from the inner halfs of the calipers.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
There seems to be a challenge in these trailer brake pump designs that relates to how fast it pressures the system as well as the feathering, if you will, of how much pressure is generated. Reading other information on line there are many variations on the theme of these brake conversions from drum brakes.

From the sounds I hear, the Titan pump on our unit must be a fixed speed motor and a electronically controlled pressure relief valve does the modulation of pressure based upon the signal coming down the blue wire. So this interaction plays into the issues of any air in the line and the mechanical issue of uneven retraction of the brake pucks due to lateral movement forces on the wheels (scrubbing the tires) when making turns that slightly move the pucks inwards.

This chain of thought would lead one to think we have different "gaps" between the discs and the brake pads as another variable on how quickly brake action starts.

I will become more informed Tuesday when I bypass the Dodge factory brake controller using a DirecLink brake controller.
PM me if you have trouble with a warning light remaining on the dash of your Ram after you do this.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #23
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Don't know if this is normal, or if there is still some air in the system, and really don't know of a better way to bleed them to remove possible air from the inner halfs of the calipers.
Steve,

This is exactly where I feel AS didn't set this up correctly. The hose screws into the junction block on the frame and then the caliper is screwed onto the hose until tight, but if it reached tight and the caliper is out of position, then you have to tighten either or both ends more to line up the caliper w/o any twist in the hose. so now its all tight, but how do you bleed it? No bleed screw on inboard caliper half. Do you want to loosen the hose at the caliper each time you want it to act as a bleed screw? Not ideal in my opinion. My solution was to use a piece of pre-made steel adapter line, IIRC 3/16" inverted flare to M10 Bubble. This was attached to the hose with a 3/16" brake line coupling. Now I can tighten the nut on the steel line with the steel line in any position to keep it from being twisted. Bleeding the inboard requires loosening the nut and it bleeds at the steel line to caliper connection. Not ideal but it bleeds the inboard caliper and doesn't compromise the connection.

Any air compromises the system performance.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Dexter 1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
So, for those that have replaced the Actibrake with another brand of activator, did you notice a decrease in brake application delay? What brand of activator do you have? ...

We switched to a Dexter 1600 actuator when our Actibrake failed. This choice was driven by the compatibility of the Ford ITBC with the Dexter actuator in 2010. I did not detect any delay with the Actibrake system, nor do I detect any delay with the Dexter system.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:06 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Four wires on plug to DirecLink connecting to 2012 Dodge 2500HD

Black +12Vdc thru #10 wire and 30 amp breaker to positive battery post
White -12Vdc thru #10 wire to negative battery post
Red tees into brake lights circuit
Blue cut lead into truck controller plug and cap on truck side. Other end to rear of truck attaches to DirecLink

This is Tuson's work around. Truck never "sees" trailer on blue wire so does not throw a code.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:47 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
If your truck is like mine, it will sense the trailer thru the light and battery charge line, and give you a no brakes warning that you can't erase.

This because the factory brake controller is not sensing brakes, and if you remove the factory brake controller you actually get a trouble code because the ECM is programmed for the controller to be there.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
I switched from an Actibrake to a Carlisle. I can not tell any difference between the two. I can detect no lag time at all.
2011 Dodge with factory controller.
My Actibrake failed coming back from the hot air balloon festiva last fall.
Hickory
Old 07-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Well my Actibrake failed Monday. First a blowout and now the brake failure. Not a good trip. Hope I can make it home without running over someone.