Old 09-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Is this the Acti-Brake replacement? Or is this the recalled Acti-Brake?

I've never owned an Acti-Brake. I may never want to.
Not to worry, and you can breathe easier.

Actibrake made a great product. Then they modified it, and that forced them to go out of business.

The reason? The modified units, became a huge expensive problem for them.

Andy

Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
My break away switch gets it's power from the 12 volt line which gets power from the coach battery AND/OR from the 12 volt power line from the tow vehicle when the umbilical 7 way plug is connected. If the break away stitch is applying the brakes, then the pin is pulled. The posted diagram looks like Acti-Brake's diagram, not Airstream's wiring diagram.

This is probably a 10 minute diagnostic issue with a 7-way tester, a multi-meter, a jumper light, and a small battery charger. Is the tow vehicle controller compatible with Acti-Brake? I understand not all are.

My Airstream is an antique with electric brakes. My other two tandem trailers also have electric brakes (which I like). I've never owned an Acti-Brake. I may never want to.

I hope you're able to resolve your issue in a good way. If you can't fix it yourself, I hope you have it towed by a service truck and don't tow it without brakes or with bad brake function.
Split;

One thing's for sure...you probably never will own an acti-brake (unless you buy used) cause they screwed up and as a result are out of business. I can tell you though, electric over hydraulic is awesome in operation. We just need a reliable actuator. I still have my recalled Actibrake. I'm watching the fluid level closely to give the industry time to settle out the best replacement. Mine, right now, works flawlessly. I've never owned a self adjusting electric drum setup, but electric over hydraulic is vastly superior to all my SOBs with drums.
Electric over hydraulic isn't a new idea. They have been around for decades with various actuator systems, including mechanical surge applications. Concept is great. Unfortunately Acti-brake kinda tarnished it for us A/Sers

Old 09-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I had the left truck battery get bad and the actibrake acting up, disconnected that battery and went on, no problems.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
My break away switch gets it's power from the 12 volt line which gets power from the coach battery AND/OR from the 12 volt power line from the tow vehicle when the umbilical 7 way plug is connected. If the break away stitch is applying the brakes, then the pin is pulled. The posted diagram looks like Acti-Brake's diagram, not Airstream's wiring diagram.

This is probably a 10 minute diagnostic issue with a 7-way tester, a multi-meter, a jumper light, and a small battery charger. Is the tow vehicle controller compatible with Acti-Brake? I understand not all are.

My Airstream is an antique with electric brakes. My other two tandem trailers also have electric brakes (which I like). I've never owned an Acti-Brake. I may never want to.

I hope you're able to resolve your issue in a good way. If you can't fix it yourself, I hope you have it towed by a service truck and don't tow it without brakes or with bad brake function.
Splitrock;

By that diagram, you are correct about 12V only available when the pin is pulled, but Steel is getting 12V from somewhere according to his post.

Steel;
Ths pdf appears to show version 1 of Acti-brake (I think). Is yours white and a uniform cube shape like the pdf or gray and a "compound" shape with the filler cap lower than the pump housing cover. If it's like the pdf, I believe it is version 1 and not recalled. Also Splitrock is correct, we need A/S wiring schematic to figger where the 12V could be coming from with the fuse pulled.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
By that diagram, you are correct about 12V only available when the pin is pulled, but Steel is getting 12V from somewhere according to his post.

The only two sources of 12 volt while towing are the trailer battery and the tow vehicle 12 volt lead. If the trailer battery is disconnected, that leaves the 7-way connection 12 volt lead. My trailer has power TO the break away switch whenever there's 12 volt power to the 7-way terminal from either direction. It's not fused. My trailer only has power THROUGH the break away switch when the pin is pulled AND there's 12 volt power to the 7-way terminal from either direction.

Any other configuration would leave the break away switch nonfunctional.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Phil;

Please post here the resolution to your problem so we can all learn from it.

Thanks;

John
Old 09-15-2010, 06:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
The only two sources of 12 volt while towing are the trailer battery and the tow vehicle 12 volt lead. If the trailer battery is disconnected, that leaves the 7-way connection 12 volt lead. My trailer has power TO the break away switch whenever there's 12 volt power to the 7-way terminal from either direction. It's not fused. My trailer only has power THROUGH the break away switch when the pin is pulled AND there's 12 volt power to the 7-way terminal from either direction.

Any other configuration would leave the break away switch nonfunctional.

Gary
I understand that. My point is that something else is going on...I think internal to the Actibrake.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Havelock , North Carolina
The update so far is the Actibrake is junk. I arrived at Grants Pass,OR this morning and Siskiyou RV took me right in and first we tried another prodigy controller and it initially did the same thing, then my brakes started to work then not, then grab, etc. Like I said, they have a life of their own... Anyway they removed the unit and drilled the test hole as described by the Airstream PDF posted earlier and not just a little fluid came out, it came out as fast as it could through the test hole until the reservoir was empty.
I can't figure out how it operated at all unless maybe the board was initially plastic coated and the brake fluid finally ate its way through?
Anyway, The service dept here contacted Jim Parrett (customer service/warranty) at Airstream and they are overnighting a new unit to replace the junk recalled one and they will box up the old one to send back. I would like to saw it in half to see what happened...
Hopefully it comes in tommorow but the shop here was nice enough to give us overnight hookups right in their yard!
Will keep everyone posted on the end result.
Thanks for the help
Phil
Old 09-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #23
_

. , .
good info...

and just 2 b clear...

the screw top ON the fluid reservoir was tight (not leaking) ?

did u take any pix?

pix=good2.

too bad u didn't post this info IN the recall thread...

maybe some shots of the repair as it happens?

THAT would be good3...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
How do you "sync" the unit?
Old 12-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #25
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
How do you "sync" the unit?
what unit (s) ?

with the acti'b and kodiak and a ford ITBC the process is basically this....

1. set the gain/boost to max (10)
2. manually activate the brakes to FULL ON (slide the lever completely to the right.
3. hold for 10 seconds to fully squeeze the pads
4. allow the brakes to completely retract, then...
5. repeat steps 2 and 3, three ? times.

with the dodge, it' not necessary to repeat 2-3 times, but doesn't hurt anything IF done.

this is done while PARKED, not moving and without touching the truck brake pedal.

this needs to be repeated any time the 12 power supply is completely disconnected.

for example after pulling/reinstalling or disconnecting the deep cycle trailer battery/ies.

after this sync process comes calibration.

calibration is when the 'gain/boost' is manually adjusted to cause the trailer brakes to engage first AND with adequate vigor.

this process is described in most of the truck manuals and perhaps the brake controller/stream manual.

my approach is to find the value that will manually 'lock up' the trailer brakes at 20-30 mph and SKID the tires.

then dial it back 0.5-1.0 from that value and test using the tv brake pedal...

IF the trailer pushes/taps/nudges or otherwise suggests delayed/inadequate engagement,

dial the boost up 0.5 and repeat.

with both the ford and dodge ITBC and 6 x kodiak using semi metallic pads,

this turns out to be 6.0 or 6.5 or 7.0 in my experience.
________

kodiak makes 2-3 models (size/ratings) of trailer brakes

so one must realize and understand the size/model and # of axles and trailer weight impact this setting.

the final setting is also affected by tow vehicle brake size and performance.

it is also useful and imo necessary to BED in the pads and rotors for optimal performance and durability...

this is done at highway speeds with the manual brake lever much like bedding in car/truck disc brakes.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #26
_

. , .
too late proofing to edit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by from previous post
...(slide the lever completely to the right)...
sorry this is INcorrect.

it's the right lever that MOVES left.

basically squEEze the 2 flat knobs 2gether till theyz touchin...

and the R lever moves leftward on the F brand ITBC.

cheers
2air'

Old 12-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Thank You 2air'....