Old 04-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Lamar , Missouri
72 AS location of Brake wire junctions

On my new 72 AS Land Yacht, I am working on brake wiring; redoing the BO blotched mess. I cut the brake wires at the brakes (will be getting new axles next month) and have isolated the 4 wires coming out of the belly to each of the 4 brakes. The wires look great, they have intact red plastic insulation and the grommets are intact on the belly. I have continuity among the 4 black wires and among the 4 white wires (no shorts) that are in the red sheathing; I don't have continuity from the belly to the front of the trailer where the 7-way plug is with either the white or black. Also, there is no continuity to ground with either the white or black.

I has wondering if anyone knew where the 4 wire splice is that connects the 4 sets of brake wires to one wire that heads to the trailer plug in the front of the trailer? I thought about tying into that junction or I bet that is where the initial problem was that had the BO run a 18 gauge wire from the tongue to the four wires. I didn't want to just start removing bellies or sides until I had a rough estimate where to look. I didn't see any of these wires at the univolt connection behind the rear wheel.

I know I need a solid connection to the trailer plug with both + & - leads.

walleye001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
My 74 Land Yacht tandem axle brake wire splice was between the axles. Draw a line between each of the brake wire penetrations at each wheel, and x marks the spot, approximately. The wire to the TV plug ran on the street side through the frame then penetrated the floor inside the wall at the front street side corner.

Edit: did you check the connections on the back of the TV plug yet? I have an access panel to the back the TV plug front center, behind the couch. That's where the brake wire runs to on my 74, not to the univolt.

TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have some doubts about the integrity of the brake wiring on our trailer.

Brakes seemed very poor - almost non existant. This last winter on a trip south to warmer climes, I did a little work on them. I replaced corroded ground connectors, and put on four new complete brake assemblies backing plates, shoes, and magnets.

When I went to solder the existing brake wires to the new magnets, I found that the copper was corroded black. I fanned out the individual wire strands and scraped them back to bright copper as best I could before re-twisting and soldering them - then covered them with weatherproof shrink tubes.

The brakes are much improved now - I can actually feel their effect!

I have also measured the current flow upon application and get about 15 amps which seems right, so I think my connections must be half decent.

I do still find however that the brakes are not as effective as they were on our previous "Award" 27 ft trailer that had pretty much the same set up.

On the last trailer, if I applied too much gain to get good braking at highway speeds, then the wheels would lock up at low speeds unless I backed off on the gain when slowing down to city street speeds - they certainly won't do that on our Airstream, I run at max gain all the time.

I suppose the difference could be due to the fact that the last trailer had a light wt of about 3500 lbs whereas the AS is 7400 though - maybe it is to be expected.

I did consider completely rewiring the brakes to ensure everything was as good as I could make it.

Since they are working half decently now after my recent work, I probably won't bother.

But what I had thought of doing because if the problem of the wiring running inside the belly pan, was to bypass the old wiring and run new HD wiring up to the front, clipped outside the belly pan, possibly in some type of plastic or metal conduit.

Seemed to me a lot easier, both in initial application and if I later had to work on it. I don't think there would be much of a downside.

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Lamar , Missouri
There are several post on that I will probably do that after I look between the axles for the original splice.
walleye001 is offline   Reply With Quote