Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2006, 11:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

71 Overlander Brakes

I have a 71 Overlander that is in need of new brakes. I torn into it today & found that it is 12" X 2 brakes . When looking for part # on the backing plate it says KHRH & KHLH . I want to replace the whole backing plate complete with all parts. Is this a Kelsey-Hayes brake setup? Can I use a Dexter brake plate on these axles? I hope someone has more info on this brake system.
Thank in advance for your help.
Mr. Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:19 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
First, the "RH" and "LH" stamped on the backing plate indicates Left and Right, they have to go on that side of the trailer, don't swap them, or you could have an adventure in stopping.
As far as manufacturer of brakes, if you are replacing everything, including the backing plate, it is not critical, as long as everything bolts up.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Check your axle flange bolt pattern. Some are 4, some are 5 bolts. I think any 12" plate will work as long as you get the bolt pattern right (some plates have holes for either). And as long as you put the right hand (curb) plate on the right side!
Old 05-31-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thank you for your answers on my brakes. I called about replacement backing plates today but the parts guy asked if they where 5200# or 7000# axles? I don`t know this answer. I learned that the only differance was the magnet pull is differant. Does anybody know the axle weight rating for my 71 Overlander?
Thank you
Mr. Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello Mr Gadget,If you can just take your old setup to your rv store and they will match it up .You will probably find that your magnets might look different,like round versus oval,but is no problem .Your old parts are kelsey hays , left hand and right hand as was mentioned.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Does the controller have any play here???

Wondering of the brake controller has any 'play' here as far as adjustablility goes. In other words, if the gentleman goes with the 7K brakes does he have the ability to 'adjust' with the BC to use them on the 5K axle/ unit. Or is this just a 'use what they used' situation??

Have I even got the terminology right? Oops, maybe!?

Don't know enough about axles/ brakes, to know if that was a dumb question or not.

But I AM paying attention to the answer as I'll likely run accross it again! In my own case possibly - down the road a bit, but then info in advance of a situation is never bad! That's my motto and I'm sticking to it.

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:17 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Brakes/Drums

The new Dexter brakes with oval magnets are rated to 7K, the 12" drums are rated to 7K depending on the outer bearing. The inner bearing is a 25580 and the out 7K is 15123, 5.2K rated drums will have an LM67048 outer. Older 60's to 80's used 5.2K ratings. All of these will be put on a #42 spindle, don't know the actual rating of that spindle but I'd guess well over 7K. If you wanted to upgrade your old drums you can replace the outer race to take the 15123 bearing, probably cheaper and smarter to just replace the drum, most come with all new bearings/seal/lug nuts for around $100.

Zoom
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hey axel ,

The BC woudn't care as it just applies the voltage to the brakes,but if you had 12" brakes say instead of 10" brakes your settings would need to be changed depending on how much power the BC needs to apply the brakes
Old 06-03-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
All my trailers have different settings on the brake controller, the old brakes on the Sovereign and the new brake plates on the Overlander come in around 3.5 (out of 5), but the Caravel, with the new Axis axle, which previously required 3.0, now skids at anything above 2.0--very grabby. Maybe they will wear in and provide smoother performance after a few more miles.

I read somewhere that the optimum setting is achieved by going to a dirt road and setting the controller at one notch below where the wheels skid on dirt. This doesn't give max braking on pavement, but keeps the trailer under control in the rain.

Any other better hints out there?
Old 06-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hello all,

Agree with that about the appication of the brakes to see "where" the controller needs to be set for proper braking.It should be done on pavement however ,as the tires will break loose easily on a dirt road, so a low setting can make the brakes seem to apply to soon.Drive down a road in an area where you can apply the trailer brakes and do some testing.My 60 trdwnd needs 3.5 also . The brakes that are adjusted a little too tight can grab to agressively till worn in also .so you need to get it out and try different settings to get what works best for your setup.

Scott
Old 06-16-2006, 05:33 PM   #11
1968 sov.

1968 30' Sovereign
greenville , Texas
Wiring the new electric Brake Magnets Up on a 1968 30' A.S International,
I"ve got to find the wiring schematic,I bought this Trailer and the Wires Were missing,I purchased New Hayes Brake Magnets from Coast Rv Supply
does anyone have the schematic for wiring the Brakes and Tail Lights?
My e-mail, Is ......airphoto55@yahoo.com THANKS
bill britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
here is the link to all the schmetics

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ams-13217.html

Basically the brake lights are a separate circuit from the brakes and usually, the lights come on before the brakes. Remember to use stranded wire for all brake wires. I think it should be 10 gauge but I am not sure.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote