Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1965 17' Caravel
1951 15' Cruisette
Austin , Texas
'71 GT brake wiring

Hi all..how do I wire the brakes? I have the grey sleave wire with a black and white wire coming from the front. Curb side drum has two white wires. Driver drum has two red wires. As always thanks for the help!
KATYBELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
At the brake drum attach one wire, any wire to Battery positive (+) off your brake controller. Attach the remaining wire to Battery negative (-) chassis ground.
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1965 17' Caravel
1951 15' Cruisette
Austin , Texas
Thanks

Hi Diesel1,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I am even more clueless than you know about electrical issues. One hub has 2 red wires and the the other has two white wires sticking out. I then have the black and white wire coming down the belly pan to the axle from the u cord. Are you saying that I take the black wire from the ucord and connect them to both red wires ( making three wires connected) and the white wire with the two white wires? Thanks so much for your help!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Connect the black wire to one of the red wires and one of the white wires on the brakes. Then connect the white wire to the remaining red and white wires on the brakes.
In the end you will have a black, red and white connected together and a white, red and white connected together.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1965 17' Caravel
1951 15' Cruisette
Austin , Texas
Thanks

Hi TG Twinkie,

Thanks so much for your help. You have helped me before and didn't know it. I followed your advice when I put in a new breaker box and your thread with another member provided all the advice I needed.

Can I ask you one other thing...I my exterior lights work, but my right blinker will not blink? Do you have any advice? Thanks so much for your help and patience.

Paul
Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Does the right blinker blink on the TV. If so, then check for a bad ground connection.
Have you tested the right blinker with the tail lights off?
Have you checked the turn signal bulb?
Have you tried jiggling the bulb in the socket to try for a better connection.
Is the tail light a separate bulb from the turn signal?
Have you tested the bulb socket for power? The pin in the center is the positive side while the barrel of the socket is the negative side.
Test the center pin of the socket with the red lead on the meter, place the black lead of the meter on a shiny spot on the skin. Make sure there is no clear coat at the place where you put the black lead on the skin.
The emergency flashers use the same circuit as the brake lights. By turning the E flashers on you don't have to have the ignition on in the TV.
Let us know what you find.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1965 17' Caravel
1951 15' Cruisette
Austin , Texas
Well, Good news is that the right tail lights work perfectly with break lights, lights and when on Right turn signal. Bad news now is that the left light will not work but will only light up with various wire configurations. There was only one bulb on the canister and is was VERY corroded. I then went and bought another light, but maybe I bought the wrong kind without a built in ground. I have not even bothered yet with the plate light or the backup lights yet. Here is the pic of the left wires I have to work with. Should I get two bulb sockets and add them?? As always thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	159282  
Old 05-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It appears that one of the wires is green coming out of the hole. If so, it would be for the tail light.
Why you have two red wires is a mystery, but my guess is that one of the two is the brake/ turn signal. The other may be backup.
I can't see in the pic if the red wires are tied into another color inside.
I believe the correct tail light and brake light bulb is a # 1157. It has two buttons on the base, one for tail and the other for brake.
If you bought a new socket and it has 2 wires out the back. One should be red and the other brown. If my memory serves me correct. The brown is the tail light and the red is the brake light.
When you attach the bulb socket to the trailer make sure it is fastened to a clean shiny spot because this is the common side of the circuit.
Do you have a meter? Do you know how to use it to test things out?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
In taking another look at the pic. I think the single red wire coming out of the trailer is the turn/ brake wire. The two reds that are tied together with the black is probably the backup lights. It looks like a PO may have done some repairs and all he had was red wire. Just a guess.
In order to get a good test you must have a good common/ ground connection.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1965 17' Caravel
1951 15' Cruisette
Austin , Texas
I did get a 1157 bulb. The socket it sits in has two black wires coming out. The pic may not be clear, but the two green wires are connected to one brown jumper and the two reds are connected to one black wire. The one lone red wire you see is connected to the backup light.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Good, you have ID the wires.
Are the black wires coming out of the bulb socket labeled?
Does the bulb socket have 2 buttons in the bottom that match the 1157 bulb?
If the wires coming out of the socket are not labeled you will just have to connect them to the trailer wiring and check out which filament is working on what function. The brighter of the two will be the brake/turn.
You say the single red is the backup lights. Then I would suggest that the wire connect to the green wires is the tail/marker lights and the remaining wire is the brake/turn.
Again, the mounting tang on the bulb socket needs a good connection to the trailer skin or frame.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1965 17' Caravel
1951 15' Cruisette
Austin , Texas
No label on the black wires from the bulb socket. Yes, I see the two buttons. Since it has two filaments, I assume I do not need to get another bulb? Depending on what wire I hook it too, it does only lights one filament. However, If i attach a wire and then touch the socket to the shell both light up. I think it may all work if I get a good ground when I secure it to the tang. I'll find out.......Thanks.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Sounds like you are on your way to success. Just check to make sure the brighter filament is for the brake/turn signals. I believe it is the filament closest to the top of the bulb. You will be able to tell once everything is connected properly. If it is backwards just reverse the wires going to the 2 black leads on the bulb socket.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1965 17' Caravel
1951 15' Cruisette
Austin , Texas
Beyond Frustrating

Well I literally spent all day yesterday and still could not figure it out. All the lights work fine, except the left rear blinker will not blink! It turns on and everything works, but that blinker will not blink!! What do you think? Thanks.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Is the left turn light blinking on the TV?
Does the brake/turn signal filament light up but not blink?
Are you doing the test with the tail lights off?
Are you sure the bulb is positioned correctly in the socket? Some sockets will allow the bulb to actually be installed backwards. The location pins are in different heights but the bulb may still be positioned incorrectly.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1965 17' Caravel
1951 15' Cruisette
Austin , Texas
Yes the tail lights on the tv are blinking.
No the brake on the left only does not work, rt one works perfectly.
Yes, tested with tail light off...rt works perfectly. Left just stays on and depending on te wiring configuration both filaments are on.
I have repositioned he bulb dozes of times. It always turns on and no blinking.
Also, the backup lights don't work....just noticed thy today.

This is beyond frustrating! Should i go back to e the 7 pin?? Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
In the pic you posted there are 3 wires coming out of the trailer. 2 reds and a black. Have you checked all three to determine what is what?
Perhaps the PO messed something up.
I would suspect that the red wire that is spliced into what looks like 2 green wires is the tail/marker circuit.
And you said the single red wire is connected to the backup lights. But in the photo I don't see any splices in the pic.
There is the 3rd group that is spliced together, those on the right in the pic. I would take that splice apart and check to see if one of the red wires is the left turn. In most trailers it is the black wire that is the backup lights, no red wires are involved.
Plus the fact that unless you have the TV in reverse the backup lights should not be on.
You can check the UCord wiring. The left turn red wire should be connected at the 9:00 position when looking at the back where you make the terminations. Also check to make sure all terminations are done neatly. There could be a one little wire sticking out on a connection and touching another terminal.
If the wires go to the back of the trailer and are intact, we will figure out what is what.