Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Rivet Idiot
 
AirHeadsRus's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 908
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Brake Controller Wiring

I just got a 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 and am trying to hook up my Tekonsha P-3 controller. I found the wires under the dash which the book says are the ones to hook up to the controller harness. From the truck, the power should be coming from the red/black wire and ground white. I have done that and nothing, no power. Even with the key on, still nothing. Tester is also showing nothing. May be a blown fuse? Anyone know where that might be?
Thanks,
Joe
__________________

__________________
AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,417
Blog Entries: 2
Don't know on the new ones but the older GMs needed to have a fuse installed in the fuse panel under the hood. I might be way off on this but it is worth a look. jim
__________________

__________________
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
The Silver Bullitt
 
Xenomorph's Avatar
 
1976 27' Overlander
Ventura , California
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 30
I just ordered one of these P3 for my 2011. You have to hook up the uninstalled power wire under the hood to to the wiring post in the fuse box. See this video for a 2011>

Trailer Brake Controller Installation - 2011 Chevy Silverado Video | etrailer.com
__________________
Xenomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Rivet Idiot
 
AirHeadsRus's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Don't know on the new ones but the older GMs needed to have a fuse installed in the fuse panel under the hood. I might be way off on this but it is worth a look. jim
Thanks Jim,
I looked in the box under the hood and on the inside door panel. It appears all fuses are in that are listed but who knows what the abbreviations mean.
Joe
__________________
AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
The Silver Bullitt
 
Xenomorph's Avatar
 
1976 27' Overlander
Ventura , California
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 30
Hold tight bud help is on the way. Waiting for my post to be approved...
__________________
Xenomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
The Silver Bullitt
 
Xenomorph's Avatar
 
1976 27' Overlander
Ventura , California
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 30
There it is let us know how it goes
__________________
Xenomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
Thanks Jim,
I looked in the box under the hood and on the inside door panel. It appears all fuses are in that are listed but who knows what the abbreviations mean.
Joe
GM has in the past used "dummy fuses" in place of the real ones for the trailer power. I'd check to make sure all the fuses are really fuses.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
Rivet Idiot
 
AirHeadsRus's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
I just ordered one of these P3 for my 2011. You have to hook up the uninstalled power wire under the hood to to the wiring post in the fuse box. See this video for a 2011>

Trailer Brake Controller Installation - 2011 Chevy Silverado Video | etrailer.com

That did it. Thanks so much! Easy to do once you know what to do. Done and everything hooked up and working.
I will probably do more towing with my Ford, the Chevy is a company truck that I can use if I'm working also when I'm out. The Chevy is very nice, a 4X4 with tow package. 5.3 L and I think a 345 rear end or something close.
Thanks,
Joe
__________________
AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
The Silver Bullitt
 
Xenomorph's Avatar
 
1976 27' Overlander
Ventura , California
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
That did it. Thanks so much! Easy to do once you know what to do. Done and everything hooked up and working.
I will probably do more towing with my Ford, the Chevy is a company truck that I can use if I'm working also when I'm out. The Chevy is very nice, a 4X4 with tow package. 5.3 L and I think a 345 rear end or something close.
Thanks,
Joe
No prob glad it worked out. I just happened to come across that video as I did research for purchasing the P3. I would have been in the same predicament trying to figure out why power wasn't working. I suppose they leave it unhooked since there is no wiring harness and don't want a loose wiring running hot.
__________________
Xenomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
Rivet Idiot
 
AirHeadsRus's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
No prob glad it worked out. I just happened to come across that video as I did research for purchasing the P3. I would have been in the same predicament trying to figure out why power wasn't working. I suppose they leave it unhooked since there is no wiring harness and don't want a loose wiring running hot.
I guess they started doing the loose wires when they started putting in the factory brake controllers. It sure would have been nice if they had made a note in the owners manual about where the wires were and how to hook them up. I'm glad I tried to hook this up well before I was ready to leave on a trip. I never thought I would have had problems and have to figure out. All the past trucks just had the plug in, mount and go.
FYI, the wire for the lights on the 7 pin was attached to the fuse box so I could have hooked up lights but no brakes.
Happy Thanksgiving,
Joe
__________________

__________________
AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1500


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connecting Trailer Brake Controller on 2008 Interstate solar-guy Sprinter and B-van Forum 4 08-10-2011 12:10 PM
Brake Controller Wiring Harness wlanford Brakes & Brake Controllers 3 08-01-2011 01:14 PM
Prodigy P3 Wiring - 2011 Silverado Ganglin Brakes & Brake Controllers 0 04-17-2011 10:46 PM
Brake controller for an '82 Avion 34V Section8 Brakes & Brake Controllers 17 01-25-2011 08:43 AM
2010 RAM 1500 Integrated Brake Controller Mifair Brakes & Brake Controllers 1 01-16-2011 06:07 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.