Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
2006 34' Classic S/O
Kerrville , Texas
Send a message via ICQ to S&C2343
Members of Region 9 need info

Hey i see you have the same tow vehicle we just bought the chevy 2500 duromax, then bought a 2006 Classic 34' so and went to dallas to pick it up. well we drove all the way back to Kerrville, TX without trailer brakes. What do we have to do to hook those hydrolic brakes up. Please help! we have had (two Murphy's Law's) days and have read all the paper work they give you and am really BRAIN-DEAD. Plus we are trying to go full time and have to get rid of STUFFFFF at least two lifetimes of things. House, Cars, and More STUFFFFF. P{Please give us some input on those brakes, we hooked up to our 25' Safari and the brakes work fine. so DUH!!!

Thanks
Sandra & Charles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
I'm amazed that there are no anomolies in the bell-shaped curve of member's ages. Takes me back to all those statistics classes!

I'll bet that the majority of the skew in the curve is because computer users are typically younger. I'll bet a true curve of Airstream owners indepent of computer use would peak at a much higher age.
S&C2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
2006 34' Classic S/O
Kerrville , Texas
Need Help with Hydrolic brakes on 2006 Classic so 34'.??????????
Old 05-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You did not mention what brake controller you have. Not all will work with hydraulic brakes. I have electric brakes on my 75. I do not think I would want to tow a 34' trailer with out trailer brakes.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&C2343
Hey i see you have the same tow vehicle we just bought the chevy 2500 duromax, then bought a 2006 Classic 34' so and went to dallas to pick it up. well we drove all the way back to Kerrville, TX without trailer brakes. What do we have to do to hook those hydrolic brakes up. Please help! we have had (two Murphy's Law's) days and have read all the paper work they give you and am really BRAIN-DEAD. Plus we are trying to go full time and have to get rid of STUFFFFF at least two lifetimes of things. House, Cars, and More STUFFFFF. P{Please give us some input on those brakes, we hooked up to our 25' Safari and the brakes work fine. so DUH!!!

Thanks
Sandra & Charles
Your selling dealer should not have you leave his lot with no brakes.

I assume you have "disc brakes."

Your controller must be a certain type to work correctly.

Also, quite well the disc brake actuator has failed. What brand actuator do you have?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
the trailer should have an actibrake controller reservoir and dexter brakes.

while i agree the rv dealer SHOULD have made sure the brakes worked properly, we might be missing some details...

for example was there a tow vehicle CHANGE after buying the trailer?

regardless towing a 34 without brakes is crazy crazy crazy (triple axles)...

IF you can't get to a qualified dealer service shop...

-contact actibrake for a list of controllers that are compatible.
-contact a/s tech support for...tech support.

-taking a wild guess here, but did the chevy COME WITH THE INTEGRATED BRAKE CONTROLLER?

-if so the truck dealer could be another resource, but so far i've found the ge'em dealerships CLUELESS about how the ibc works...

problem solving every detail of a disc brake system online isn't easy or safe....

but, WAS THE BRAKE CONTROLLER/ACTIBRAKE SYSTEM CALIBRATED initially?

that IS the first step.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #6

2007 27' Classic FB
hamilton , ontario
towed 27' classic with no brakes on trailer-- I called

airstream and we decided to get a new brake unit sent out by actibrake My trailer is brand new 2007. Once installed things worked pretty good. This is the electric/hydraulic brake system with disc brakes. I am using the Prodigy controller. There is some videos on active site Active Tachnology-Installation Video
It is scary driving 800kms without brakes on the trailer but I was put in a bad situation by the dealer when they delivered the trailer out of state to save the state sales tax only to hook up and find the brakes didn't work.
ol-crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
2006 34' Classic S/O
Kerrville , Texas
Thanks for the info we bought from a person, he said he worried about us, and that he had the same truck but installed the Hensley Tow-control. We asked AS and he gave me the installation instructions. We are going back to the Chevy Dealer tomorrow and they are suppose to fix the problem. We also contacted a RV Repair shop and he said the prodigy or genisus are both good units. But I also found out the 2009 Chevy will have the right braking system, as ford has had it for a couple of years. So keep your fingers crossed we get it fixed. thanks for the input. got to get used to this forum way around.
thanks
S&C2343
Old 05-13-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
What is your brake controller?
You left without functioning brakes? Your tow vehicle brakes are going to need attention.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:43 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
2006 34' Classic S/O
Kerrville , Texas
Howdeeeeeeeeeee
well the dealer finally called AS, as they don't listen to women!!!! after all the research I told Hubby the info and the Service man at Chevy;;; Well they reconnected some wires and sent us back home 75 miles; Duh didn't work, so two days later we drag the AS to Chevy Dealer and he finally called AS Inc. and they told him what I had said to disconnect the installed system and replace with or ADDDD a different braking system. Picked up unit today or that was yesterday now. It works wonderful. So headed to a rally on wednesday. something about the factory installed braking system wasn't sending info to the hydraulic brakes on our AS.

thanks for all the input. But not finished with Chevy as they charged us for this and of course hubby paid for it.

see ya down the road
S&C2343