Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
2 wires for brakes, what goes where?

the wire harness has been cut or ripped off so now i must reconnect the electric brake wires. there is 2. 1 black 1 red. my guess is that the black is the ground and red goes to the power brake power source on my new round 7 plug?
thanks
greenrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
On the brakes there is no color code. Just make sure that one goes to ground, the other goes to the brake circuit. On mine( 1966) the brake circuit is yellow. Make sthe same color for the ground and the hot. Black to ground and red to hot.

NUTZ
Old 10-27-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you have to rewire each brake assembly, and you didn't make it clear if you did, the magnets don't care which way the electricity goes in and out of them, just so it does. You will need a power and a ground to each magnet.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
thank you. its a new to me trailer and it looks like someone unhooked the hitch and safety chains, but maybe forgot the round 7 plug and drove away, leaving only snapped wires behind. after tracing some of them out, i found the P.O. used their own color code. then i discovered my new to me truck has its own round 7 configuration. fun stuff. at least i now know what everything is and its just a matter of putting it back together.
greenrig is offline   Reply With Quote