Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Dorr , Michigan
1977 Sovereign Brake booster?

Hopefully this is the right section, but i recently purchased a 31' 1977 Sovereign and when i opened the small box on tongue of the trailer right up near the shell i see what looks to be a brake booster. Is that what I am seeing? Given that i am redoing the trailer and may be replacing axles will i need to keep this unit up front? i dont know where to look on here to see what people have done with that system when doing renovations.

Thanks
crazycuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Did a previous owner upgrade to disc brakes? Electric/Hydraulic disc brakes require a brake booster - a small electric pump with a built in reservoir. Is that what you're seeing? The booster can be moved to another location but the tongue is a convenient location and relatively easy to access.

I guess there's a chance you have some sort of electric/hydraulic drum brakes but that hardly seems worth the effort to add a hydraulic system and continue using drum brakes.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:50 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Back in the day (mid-70s) vacuum brakes were an option. They required a vacuum connection to the tow vehicle, and I wouldn't want to try to tie into a modern tow vehicle's vacuum system because you'd probably make the computer system angry when pressures weren't what it's programmed to expect.

I believe they were discs... if so (and if the disc system is still installed and working) you could probably convert that to a modern electric/hydraulic disc system. Unless someone else has replaced the axles since that trailer was new, though, you may need new torsion axles anyway, and probably some new parts for things like flex hoses, etc. So, you'd need to decide what kind of brake system you want, etc.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign