Old 09-02-2010, 12:02 AM   #1

1974 31' Sovereign
Littlefork , Minnesota
1974 31 Ft Sovereign Electric Brakes

I have recently purchased a 1974 31 ft Airstream Sovereign (My first ever travel trailer). It is in pretty good shape in terms of both exterior and interior. Everything is original that I can tell. I figured I would start from the ground up to make sure it is and remains road worthy. Well imagine my dismay when I removed the driver's side tires and drums to pack wheel bearings and check the brakes when I found the electrical brake components missing on both axles. I haven't yet checked the other side but will assume they are also missing. The shoes are in place and the actuator arm is there. However, the magnet is gone. I have a basic 1974 Owners Manual. The only thing the manual says is that the rig has a Kelsey-Hayes Electric Brake System. The drum is 12" and the shoes are 2". The actuator arm has two pins on the bottom and hangs from the top in a "(" manner (Driver's Side). The forward pin is smaller (maybe 3/8") then the rear pin (approx 1/4") and has a groove for a retaining "C" clip. The rear pin has no groove. Can anyone help me out with what the replacement magnet puck part number/name might be? Additionally, shoes? Are there Kits available that contain both? The drums are in excellent condition. Finally, I see a small black plastic double female recepticle located towards the top of the face plates on the right side. It would appear the magnet wires with male probe like ends would plug into the recepticle (Wires are coming out the recepticle on the backside of the faceplate). Does the replacement magnet puck come with male ends for this recepticle or will they be just insulated wires? If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to exploring this forum more in the future and I begin what should be a grand journey. Great Site!

Old 09-02-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome! The first thing you touch is screwed up. Why's that sound familiar to me? I haven't found anything that's right on my trailer except for the magnets.

On your brakes, I'd just buy all new Dexter 2x12 assemblies. If you're bound to just buy the magnets, any trailer shop will likely have them. They'll come with two leads that are reversible.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Ford View Post
I have recently purchased a 1974 31 ft Airstream Sovereign (My first ever travel trailer). It is in pretty good shape in terms of both exterior and interior. Everything is original that I can tell. I figured I would start from the ground up to make sure it is and remains road worthy. Well imagine my dismay when I removed the driver's side tires and drums to pack wheel bearings and check the brakes when I found the electrical brake components missing on both axles. I haven't yet checked the other side but will assume they are also missing. The shoes are in place and the actuator arm is there. However, the magnet is gone. I have a basic 1974 Owners Manual. The only thing the manual says is that the rig has a Kelsey-Hayes Electric Brake System. The drum is 12" and the shoes are 2". The actuator arm has two pins on the bottom and hangs from the top in a "(" manner (Driver's Side). The forward pin is smaller (maybe 3/8") then the rear pin (approx 1/4") and has a groove for a retaining "C" clip. The rear pin has no groove. Can anyone help me out with what the replacement magnet puck part number/name might be? Additionally, shoes? Are there Kits available that contain both? The drums are in excellent condition. Finally, I see a small black plastic double female recepticle located towards the top of the face plates on the right side. It would appear the magnet wires with male probe like ends would plug into the recepticle (Wires are coming out the recepticle on the backside of the faceplate). Does the replacement magnet puck come with male ends for this recepticle or will they be just insulated wires? If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to exploring this forum more in the future and I begin what should be a grand journey. Great Site!
Some of the original round magnet type electric brake parts, are no longer available.

You will find that the magnets alone, cost almost as much as new backing plates, that are superior in stopping power, compared to the originals.

You can now also find "self adjusting" electric brakes.

But, before you purchase anything, you might read the axle article in the Airstream Central portion of this Forums. If your Airstream was parked for an extended period of time, you may find, as some others have, that the axles have expired. If that's the case, new axles with new brakes, would solve your issue.

Also the original hub and drums could be either 2 or 3 piece, both of which are typically way out of balance. New hub and drums, are "unicast" meaning one piece, and are themselves far superior to the originals.

Andy
Old 09-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Like Andy said, there is no need in wasting money on backing plates if your axles are shot (ie, rubber rods that give the torsion arms the ability to move and thereby absorb bumps get old and hard which means that your trailer has NO suspension travel). I would bet that the axles on a 74 model are "tired". If your axles are shot and you pull the trailer much it can be very destructive to the trailer due to the road shock. If the axles do check out, then the complete backing plate is the best way to go.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #5

1974 31' Sovereign
Littlefork , Minnesota
Andy,

I'm not finding this Airstream Central you reference. Can you help me out?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
At the very top of this page (or any page) click on articles. This will take you to Airstream Central.

>>>>>>>>>>Action