Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1990 34' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Americus , Also Valrico, Fl
Angry 1967 AS 28' brake wire routing

RECENTLY PURCHASED 68 28' CANNOT GET BAKES TO WORK. when testing. I put 12v directly to the trailer 7 wire plug brake / yellow prong in the plug. I get 12v 2' from the plug and 12v midway between the plug and the axles. NO 12V at the wires at the wheels. Appears there is a break or failed connection in the line after my last accessible check point. Does anyone have an idea where the wires go to be divided / split to go the the 4 brakes ?? Somewhere the yellow brake wire is joined and sent on to the 4 wheels. H E L P please. Or an I missing a simple 1 to 4 connection in the axle area? I would rather not lower the belly pan this time, unless necessary. Many thanx Jim & Mitzi

Jim & Mitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
There was an access hole under my 68 Trade Wind where the umbilical chord made connections with the trailer wires. The hole had a sealed cover plate on the curb side frame rail about 6 feet from the front of the trailer. I had several issues until I rewired all the connections after installing a new 7 wire umbilical.

Bruce & Rachel
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Hendersonville, NC , North Carolina
On our '68 Overlander the brake wire was yellow until I upgraded the 7way plug. now it is blue. the wire routing went down the curb side and crossed over at the rear wheel to the street side.
Good Luck,
kokopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1990 34' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Americus , Also Valrico, Fl
Further info request.... Blue wire at step is hot / blue wire to brakes. Blue wire is hot by step, not hot @ rf wheel. There is a short between the LF and RF wheels. , Apparently there is a fault in the wiring between the RF and LF under the belly pan . Somewhere, the larger blue single wire from the front is split to each front axle brake and also to each rear axle brake. Is there 1 junction that splits to 4 or 2 junctions that go to 2. ????? Short of dropping a lot of belly pan near the axles and checking the junctions(s) ?????????? I see no access panels or signs as to where the junctions are. greatly appreciated. I may just run new wire from the step area, known to be OK. and run wires to each wheel exterior of the belly pan. At least it may work and I could hide the wiring at a later time.....Good crimp connectors, shrink junction covers and tie wraps have done great things. Happy Holidays from Florida
Jim & Mitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Someone else may chime in that owns your year of airstream, however, my 81 Excella had a new brake wire run under the trailer following the propane line to nearest brake, and branch wires following axles to each brake. Each brake had the other wire to the frame. Worked like a champ. I think you need to use a heavy(thick) wire like #12. Saves dropping the belly pan.
Air# 29488
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote