Old 04-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #15
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Originally Posted by lamacki1 View Post
It has the original hydraulic brakes and the seller knows nothing about them.

I have read through this forum and I am confused to say the least. If the brakes have never been converted, what do I need to do to get it safely home (it's roughly 450 miles from me).
Help, please?
Part of the issue is the seller knows nothing about the brakes and neither do you as you have not even seen them.

Since the seller has been successful towingwith a big truck you might consider renting the same to get it home to understand what you have.

OR obtain some pictures from the seller of the brake set up on the trailer tongue.

This would not be the first seller that thought the set up was original and was in fact replaced later down the road. As a 55 year old trailer who knows what modifications were done. And it sounds like the seller doesn't use the trailer brakes so may be they don't even work.

Just some thoughts

1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Thanks you. I "wish" that Lexus was new. It's a 2006 however.

This trailer only has hydraulic electric to use a brake controller.

I'm working my way through all the new information I've received from all the great people here.

The same wire that applies the voltage from the tow vehicle to trailers electric brakes supplies power to the this trailers servo motor which then applies the hydraulic brakes .
Should not have to change a thing on the TV as long as it has a brake controller installed for electric brakes .

dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:02 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
You can be pretty sure that the existing brakes haven't worked since a previous owners '61 Oldsmobile was sold! The best solution would be convert to electric brakes or cancel the deal. If you really want this particular trailer it might not be all that hard to convert to electric brakes, the parts are pretty common but it's always more work than you figure because of glitches. If it was me and the tow vehicle has anti-lock brakes and weighs more than the trailer, I'd just tow it. I would not go over 55 or drive on wet roads. I'm a good driver and always look as far ahead as possible anyway to avoid sudden moves.

ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote