Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1953 brakes

Greetings Wilson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson russe
can anyone explain to me how brakes on a 53 flying cloud work
i am hoping to import one to uk and havent a clue
many thanks wilson
The answer to your question has several variables. If the coach is factory original, there is a high probability that it would have been equipped with hydraulic brakes. These hydraulic brakes bore little resemblance to those that we think of on modern trailers - - they were not "surge" brakes - - rather, they were designed to be tapped into the rear brake lines of the tow vehicle to provide for their operation. Since most tow vehicles manufactured in the US since the late 1960s don't recommend such tapping into the dual-braking systems, prior owners often upgraded the brakes to one or another of the more modern configurations. The typical upgrade was to electric trailer brakes with drum brakes - - these brakes would require some form of electric brake controller in the tow vehicles. While it would be less common, I have heard of at least one coach where the owner installed surge brakes - - something that isn't generally favored in the US as the surge brakes lack independent control operation from the driver's seat that you would have with the electric trailer brakes.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
53' and Cloudy

1953 21' Flying Cloud
East Grand Rapids , Michigan
Question Electric brakes on 1953 Flying Cloud

I, too, have a 1953 Flying Cloud - #O3028. It has electric brakes, but the previous owner had never used them (he towed with a Suburban, so he apparantly didn't need them). I believe they are factory original as I am only the 3rd owner and everything else was stock. When I pulled the drums, they looked very similiar to hydralic brakes of the same age, except with an electro-magnet to actuate the shoes. I assume that they were designed for 6-volt electrical systems, which were the norm in 1953, but don't really know.
I have several questions with which I could sure use some help:
1. If these really are 6-volt, can they be converted to 12-volt or do they even need to be?
2. Actuation: will a modern actuator system work? If not, can one be constructed? (I vaguely remember my father have a manual trailer-brake actuator in the early 60's. It was mounted on the steering column close to the turn signal lever, and he pulled on a lever to engage the brakes on his non-Airstream trailer.)
3. Do you really need the brakes if you are using a modern tow vehicle with ABS, etc.? How about if I want to tow it with a 1950 pickup, with its vintage brakes?

Any help or ideas whould be much appreciated!
Old 02-13-2006, 10:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlconw
I, too, have a 1953 Flying Cloud - #O3028. It has electric brakes, but the previous owner had never used them (he towed with a Suburban, so he apparantly didn't need them). I believe they are factory original as I am only the 3rd owner and everything else was stock. When I pulled the drums, they looked very similiar to hydralic brakes of the same age, except with an electro-magnet to actuate the shoes. I assume that they were designed for 6-volt electrical systems, which were the norm in 1953, but don't really know.
I have several questions with which I could sure use some help:
1. If these really are 6-volt, can they be converted to 12-volt or do they even need to be?
2. Actuation: will a modern actuator system work? If not, can one be constructed? (I vaguely remember my father have a manual trailer-brake actuator in the early 60's. It was mounted on the steering column close to the turn signal lever, and he pulled on a lever to engage the brakes on his non-Airstream trailer.)
3. Do you really need the brakes if you are using a modern tow vehicle with ABS, etc.? How about if I want to tow it with a 1950 pickup, with its vintage brakes?

Any help or ideas whould be much appreciated!
Mike,

I believe that brakes are required on any trailer weighing over 1500 lbs. You will want brakes, it will ease the work that your tow vehicle expends, expecially down hill. Before the brake controllers, which first tapped into the hydralic line of the tow vehicle (I put one on my 1973 Dodge PowerWagon) and then used the brake pedal travel or stop light switch, there was a separate lever on the steering wheel, but you had to coordinate your hand/foot movements (great scene in The Long Long Trailer with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez on this). Also trailer brakes will allow you to straighten the trailer if it ever starts to sway, which can happen with a modern tow vehicle with ABS or a vintage tow vehicle without.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
...and yes I'm hijacking the thread....

http://www.airforums.com/forum...40-post34.html
__
65GT,

If you can hijack, so can I. How did you select just one post in a thread to display. I have often wanted to print only one and cannot figure out how. Please help.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 02-13-2006, 10:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
65GT,

If you can hijack, so can I. How did you select just one post in a thread to display. I have often wanted to print only one and cannot figure out how. Please help.

Bill
Use the "Post #" in the upper right hand corner of each post (#6, #135, etc.). Either left click on that number to view just that one individual post and then copy the URL from the address window, or right click on that number and "Copy Shortcut". Then paste whatever you copied into your new message.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
In the top right hand corner of your post there is a post number. Just click on it and only your post will display. Then just copy the address bar information and paste that into your message.

Do you have measurements for a '53 dinette for me in exchange?

__
Thank you, no I don't have the measurements for the dinette, but I can send you some of the pink paint we are scraping off the interior skin of the Liner.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 02-16-2006, 07:21 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Thank you, no I don't have the measurements for the dinette, but I can send you some of the pink paint we are scraping off the interior skin of the Liner.

Bill
Darn, I'm just about ready to build a dinette for my flying cloud - but please post photos - love to see the pink paint. Just finished scraping my interior and sanding and it was worth it.
Theresa
Old 02-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.gray
Darn, I'm just about ready to build a dinette for my flying cloud - but please post photos - love to see the pink paint. Just finished scraping my interior and sanding and it was worth it.
Theresa
Theresa,

Here is the thread which I started with pictures: http://www.airforums.com/forum...tml#post163666

Bill

Just my personal opinion

Tags