Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
XL or C tires?

I was looking at tire options on Tire Rack and found something interesting,

The tires I was looking at were available in both C and XL weight rating in 235/75R15 size.

The C Tire is rated at 1985lbs
The XL tire is rated at 2183lbs

I read somewhere that XL is the rating for Car tires and C is the rating for truck tires. I checked and my Tundra has XL tires, they were recomended by the tire store when I bought them.

There is a slight cost difference with the XL tires being cheaper by about 25 a tire.

Is there any significant difference between XL and C rated tires? Either would have adequate carrying capacity for my light trailer.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
There is a significant difference between Load Range C tires and XL tires.

First, P type tires come in Standard Load (SL) and Extra Load (XL). When used in a light truck application (which includes trailer), P type tires have to be derated by a factor of 1.1.

So the ACTUAL load carrying capacity of a P235/75R15 XL is 1985# - and that occurs at 41 psi.

LT tires come in Load Ranges (A, B, C, etc). They are built sort of like their heavier duty brothers the over-the-road truck tires and they don't like flexing, so they use more inflation pressure (but they carry more load).

So an LT235/75R15 Load Range C has the same load carrying capacity as its little bortheer the P metric tire (1985#), but that occurs at 50 psi.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
There is a significant difference between Load Range C tires and XL tires.

First, P type tires come in Standard Load (SL) and Extra Load (XL). When used in a light truck application (which includes trailer), P type tires have to be derated by a factor of 1.1.

So the ACTUAL load carrying capacity of a P235/75R15 XL is 1985# - and that occurs at 41 psi.

LT tires come in Load Ranges (A, B, C, etc). They are built sort of like their heavier duty brothers the over-the-road truck tires and they don't like flexing, so they use more inflation pressure (but they carry more load).

So an LT235/75R15 Load Range C has the same load carrying capacity as its little bortheer the P metric tire (1985#), but that occurs at 50 psi.

Thanks,
So both tires have the same capacity, just at different PSI,

Is there an advantage to one over the other on a smaller trailer like my Safari at around 5000lbs?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
For trailers you need either LT or ST (in load range C or D) tires. The P indicates passenger vehicle. The ST is designed for trailers. There are differences. Lots of discussion on the forum over the years as to pros and cons of ST vs LT tires. Many people had failures with Goodyear Marathons, and other ST tires, and lots of people changed out tire and rims for 16 inch LT's. Search the forums if you have time and then make up your mind but I would not put a P rated tire on an Airstream.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Kindly look at the sidewall of the Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL and it says in molded letters that the maximum load weight is 2,183 pounds at the maximum pressure of 50 psi. Derating the tire per 49 CVFR 5781.110 S4.2.2.2 by dividing 2,183 by 1.1 gives a payload of 1,985 pounds at 50 psi. The derating did not lower the tire pressure to carry the load.

The actual load on the axle of a 5,000 GVW trailer is not the 5,000 pounds GVW as the TV has at least 10% or 500 pounds on the hitch to tow properly and the percentage on the TV could be higher, thus the need to weigh the trailer using the old tires. Then an informed decision can be reached.

You would need to get a relatively accurate tongue weight when loaded for the road to determine how much of that weight could be transferred to the TV when using a weight distributing hitch system. Then cross a set of scales loaded (full of water + "your stuff") and see the load on the trailer axle. That is the actual weight the tires will be carrying at that instant.

Some folks on this forum decided to use the Michelin LT 225/75R16 E tire that Airstream used as the standard tire on the Eddie Bauer model and is offered as an option on most other models.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
This is getting even more confusing.

I've read many posts on tires and thought I knew what I was doing until I actually looked at tires.

The Michelin LTX in 235/75R15 is rated as and XL which seems to indicate it is a "P" tire, but the max load rating is 2183lbs at 50psi, which sounds like a LT tire. Is this an LT or P tire?

I appreciate all the posters suggesting I move to a 16" rim, and I understand the benefits, but I'm not considering that. My 23ft Safari is not nearly heavy enough to justify moving to a larger rim/tire. 15" tires in almost any configuration will have enough capacity to carry my trailer, I just need to decide which 15" tires to buy.

Consequently the tires currently on the trailer have a max inflation of 41psi, and neither myself or the PO who installed them had a problem, I'm only replacing them because of age.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
I'm sorry guys, but according the The Tire and Rim Association - the US tire standardizing organization, XL tires increase in load carrying capacity as the pressure goes up - to a maximum of 41 psi. This is the same for ALL tire manufacturers - not just Michelin.

I should also point out that it is permissible to use up to 50 psi for an XL tire - and that is what Michelin is marking on the sidewall.

I wish Michelin had a load table for this size - but they don't - but here's a link to what Tire Rack says about Standard Load and Extra Load tires:

Tire Tech Information - Tire Specs Explained: Maximum Load

Please note the table.

I would also point out that perhaps you have misinterpreted what is imprinted on the sidewall. If it says: Max Load XXXX at YY psi, then that is a relationship. But if it says Max Load XXXX, Max Pressure YY, then that is NOT a relationship.

Unfortunately, I have seen some tires that are marked - oh, let's say "not accurate" - and they use the "@" instead of indicating this is the maximum. While not technically wrong, it is misleading.

Now I am NOT at the particular tire in question, but I did look at a Michelin P metric tire and verified they are marking the tire I looked at accurately - indicating a max load and a max pressure and NOT indicating those 2 items are related.

So if you would do me a favor, please look at the particular tire in question and tell us what it says. I am hoping Michelin labeled that one accurately. If not, then I will shut up and not argue the point.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
My Michelin LTX M/S2 P 235/75/15 XL are stamped with the following:

CANADA AND U.S. CODES ONLY
MAX LOAD 990 KG (2183 LBS)
MAX PRESS 340 kPa (50 PSI)

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Our LTX's are @.....or more accurately at.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If his trailer is only 5000 lb he will have plenty of margin with an XL rated tire. My 31 footer GVW is 7000lb and I still have plenty of margin. The derating of the XL tires to 1985 lb only applies to high profile high CG vehicles like SUV's. An Airstream trailer has a low CG close to that of cars. Still there is almost a factor of 2 safety margin no matter how you argue. I am running 235/75-15 XL BF Goodrich Tires and have had no issues. They run cool as cucumbers at 70 MPH.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Sorry I don't have a Michelin tire to look at, I'm tryin to decide based on Tirerack and Michelin websites which 15" tire I should buy.

I was trying to understand why one tire is "better" but I think I just stirred thing up.

To make this simple on myself here's the question:

Should I buy

A) Yokohama Geolander HT-S G051 LT235/75R15 - Load rating: C

or

B) Yokohama Geolander HT-S G051 P235/75R15 - Load rating: XL
Old 12-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
As I understand from reading the many tire threads here on the forum, the "LT" tire would be the better option due to stiffer sidewall and heavier construction. This in turn should lead to a lower chance of blowout.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think the stiffer sidewall falls into the urban myth catagory. It sounds like those tires are exactly the same tire under the lable. Flip a coin. I am not convinced that a stiffer sidewall means anything. A tire with 80 psi in it will have a stiffer sidewall than one with 50 psi in it. Stiffer sidewall also means more vibration transmitted to your trailer. We have heard many accounts of blown bias ply ST tires and none that I know of with passenger rated tires. Anything that is rated not to kill people is going to be less prone to blowing out and have a higher speed rating than trailer tires.

I bet the number of plies is the same on both tires.

Perry
Old 12-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post

A) Yokohama Geolander HT-S G051 LT235/75R15 - Load rating: C

or

B) Yokohama Geolander HT-S G051 P235/75R15 - Load rating: XL
According to Tire Rack both tires have the weight at 34LBs each so there can't be much difference.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"It sounds like those tires are exactly the same tire under the lable."

That is sorta what I am thinking. Maybe the testing and the rating of the tires is different. maybe the C tire is already rated down because of the 10% de rating for P tires on trucks and SUV's that they are being marketed for.

I am interested if anybody thinks a tire that has 50 psi max inflation stamped on it will carry a higher load at 41 lbs than it will at 50?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:12 AM   #16
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Our LTX's are @.....or more accurately at....
Bob
You must be careful here. P type tires are done differently than LT and ST tires.

For P type tires it is common to indicate a maximum inflation pressure that is different than the pressure where the max load occurs. Mis-understanding this is very common.

For LT and ST tires it is the usual practice to indicate the pressure where the max load occurs.

I hope this clears this up.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:20 AM   #17
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
"It sounds like those tires are exactly the same tire under the lable."

That is sorta what I am thinking. Maybe the testing and the rating of the tires is different. maybe the C tire is already rated down because of the 10% de rating for P tires on trucks and SUV's that they are being marketed for.

I am interested if anybody thinks a tire that has 50 psi max inflation stamped on it will carry a higher load at 41 lbs than it will at 50?
Sorry guys, but this has gotten all sideways.

P metric Standard Load (SL) tires are rated for a maximum load carrying capacity at 35 psi. Extra Load (XL) P metric tires are rated for a maximum load at 41 psi.

When P metric tires are used in a Light Truck application, they have to be derated by a factor of 1.1. They aren't derated if used in a passenger car application.

LT and ST type Load Range C tires are rated for maximum load at 50 psi. For LR D it's 65 psi. etc.

Where the confusion comes in is that P metric tires are commonly marked with a higher maximum inflation pressure than the pressure where the max load occurs.

So - There will be differences between XL and LR C tires. In particular the pressure where the max load occurs.

And to help with things, you might want to read up on tires on my website:

http://www.barrystiretech.com/
Old 12-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If one goes to the Michelin website:

michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/suv-crossover/ltx-m-s2/tire-details#techspec_table

and look at the first tire which is the P235/75R15 XL tire, you will see that the factory specs the tire at 1,985 pounds @ 50 psi. That is the derated load capacity per 49 CFR 571.110 s4.222 while the sidewall rates the tire at 2,183 pounds and maximum pressure of 50 psi. I would believe the factory data sheet before a retail outlet.

The reference CapriRacer points to is a generic, no brand or tire model specification. I believe the tire manufacturer knows their product better and they have the liability of living up to that specification.

Running at 41 psi would not be appropriate for my tires in my application.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Measure temperatures across the tire profile with an IR thermometer and adjust pressure to get an even temperature at the sides and the middle. The idea pressure is a function of the load on the tire. I run about 25 psi in the rear tires on my Ranger truck because it has nothing in the bed. If I ran 35 psi the tires would wear out in the center and I would have no traction especially in the rain. I run the fronts at about 35 psi which is the max for that tire.

No a tire won't carry more load at 41 psi than at 50. It is possible to overheat the center of a tire by overinflating it.

If you are at the max pressure and the tires are running hot on the edges then they are overloaded.

Perry
Old 12-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #20
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
If one goes to the Michelin website:

michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/suv-crossover/ltx-m-s2/tire-details#techspec_table

and look at the first tire which is the P235/75R15 XL tire, you will see that the factory specs the tire at 1,985 pounds @ 50 psi. That is the derated load capacity per 49 CFR 571.110 s4.222 while the sidewall rates the tire at 2,183 pounds and maximum pressure of 50 psi. I would believe the factory data sheet before a retail outlet.

The reference CapriRacer points to is a generic, no brand or tire model specification. I believe the tire manufacturer knows their product better and they have the liability of living up to that specification.

Running at 41 psi would not be appropriate for my tires in my application.
2 thoughts: I have no problem with your using 50 psi in your P metric tire. That's OK according to all the rules I am aware of.

I just want folks to be aware that there is a difference between P metric and LT metric tires and they have to adjust things accordingly.

BTW, the "generic" specifcation is an industry standard used by Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, and everyone else I know of. It is unfortunate that Michelin has made the chart the way they did. It is inaccurate.

So just to prove my point, email Michelin and ask them what the load carrying capacity is for their P235/75R15 XL at 41 psi.