Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Would you like to weigh your trailer?

I've been posting and reading the various threads over the past year regarding tires. We have a couple of guys in the industry who have given us their thoughts and advice. The common thread has been knowing the weight of your trailer and specifically knowing the load on each wheel.

I've partaken of a tire safety event held by an SOB dealer which was held by the RV Safety and Education Foundation. RV Safety & Education Foundation As part of that seminar, they offered a weigh in for our tow vehicles, trailers and motorhomes, using certified wheel scales. I took advantage of this on my '01 Safari but unfortunately they have never been back in the area.

What I'm thinking about is talking to my local Airstream dealer about having a similar event at his dealership possibly as early as next spring. While I don't have any commitment from him, I'd like to be able to go back to him with a potential number count of attendees. The dealership is on I 70 in Wentzville, Mo which is west of St. Louis. Typically the organization charges $60 for your tow vehicle and trailer. Hopefully if there are other fees I might be able to get the dealer to absorb these.

If we could get these folks here, how many of you would be interested in participating? We could give you some local campground information as to the closest places to stay in the area.

Personally I would pay $60 to get a good weigh in on my Classic. You would get a written report from the organization showing the individual weight on each tire on all vehicles plus your weights for each vehicle. They weigh you connected and disconnected from the tow vehicle.

Let me know if you have questions and give me some feedback. I'd try to do this on a Saturday. Once I get a sampling I'll call the owner of the dealership and see if we could get this set up. I also talk to the leadership of the local WBCCI unit and see if they would support this also.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with my dealer and if we could get enough interest, he would consider hosting this event at the dealership.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Jack,

Wish that wasn't so far, I'd like to know too.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Jack, Wish that wasn't so far, I'd like to know too. Gary
I know this might be out of the question for some. I figured that we might get some folks from the Midwest. Plus being at a dealer and campgrounds in the area, some folks might make a weekend of it. I know to get these folks in, we will probably have to book this by year end. If we don't get enough interest I'll just pass and try to find a location where these folks will visit next year that I can drive to. They don't have a 2014 schedule yet.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I recently acquired two sets of four individual wheel scales with digital displays and paper print outs of the weights by tire as there were no segemented scales in the area. I used one scale of the second set for the tongue jack.

I found a 300 pound disparity on one axle (right rear) but things interfered with my ability to do the setup again before turning the trailer in on the new one. The four tires total load was the same as at the commercial scales where they were weighed as a group.

The good news was that the 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires I had installed still had plenty of safety or reserve capacity in each tire location.

When the new trailer comes, I will weight it at the same trailer condition several times
and move the wheel scales around to verifiy accuracy.

Unfortunately, the Classic 30's empty weight will exceed the GVW of the 25FB International Serenity, so my choice is to install the 16" Michelin LT 225/75R16E LTX M/S2 tires.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Where did you score the scales?? I may need some...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote