Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2016, 08:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
BEND , Oregon
winter tires or studs or studless or?

This is a fishing trip for opinions for those of us who live in snow and mountains.
call-me-al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I live in snow. Don't take your trailer out in it not matter what tires you out on it.

You asked. That's my opinion. Free advice worth everything you paid for it. 😀
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Just to confuse the issue, some states don't allow tire chains. Some states don't allow studs, or not after April 15 or something. Don't plan on taking your trailer out in the snow, it will probably show you some skiing tricks you won't believe

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:51 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Would either make a big difference on something you were pulling behind you?
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:39 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
As an avid snowmobiler I drag my enclosed trailer around in the worst winter conditions. Using a proper winter tire is critical. My favorite for winter traction is Bridgestone Blizzaks. But you should still carry chains for the tv and your trailer.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Would either make a big difference on something you were pulling behind you?
Yes -- for stopping! A huge difference compared to highway tires, and also to prevent the trailer from skidding sideways on curves. [edit -- see next post]

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by call-me-al View Post
This is a fishing trip for opinions for those of us who live in snow and mountains.
If you are going to take the AS out in snow or marginal (even unpredictable) conditions [your choice], a good M&S or pure Snow tire is a good investment IMO. Most drivers should not go out in the snow, but capable, experienced, and adventurous drivers might want to take their aluminum tent out in all kinds of weather.

Big semi trucks drive all year-long in all kinds of conditions, so it is possible to tow a trailer in snow. Remind me to tell you the story from my hitchhiking days when the truck driver intentionally put on his trailer brakes, and made the large trailer fishtail behind us in a blizzard on an empty Interstate. Scared me at first, but then I realized he had the rig totally under control. Lesson learned about driver skill.

The additional benefit of a more aggressive tread is for better traction in mud, loose gravel, etc. while boondocking. We plan to upgrade from the OEM GYM tires mainly for this reason. The improved braking and skid-control on curves (especially going downhill IMO) is well worth the cost.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Airstreams on the Road in the Snow

We too live in the mountains (7,800 ft) where it snows...we winterize and don't take the trailer out in winter conditions - generally from late-October to early-May for a couple of reasons:
  • Tires
  • Tempurature
  • Mag-Chloride
  • Other Drivers

A couple of years ago, we did go to Rocky Mountain National Park for New Years Eve (at the urging of friends)...we had an awesome NYE Party & a great time spent with friends, but it just confirmed why we won't do it again. Scratch that one off my bucket list, been there - done that.

Tires - It wasn't actively snowing and the roads were "clear" however there was black ice in shady areas and when we got to the campground the sites were not cleared as well as the roads. Getting into/out of the campsite was tricky on patchy ice. We were lucky, the weather held off until we got home - but in this area the weather can change in no time and go from sunny and pleasant to blizzard conditions with very little notice - it's so unpredictable I always comment that I wish I got paid for accuracy at my job what weathermen get paid for theirs!

Temperature - The temps were about 13-degrees at night - we had electric & propane heat, but no water and the campground's vault toilets were chilly to say the least. If I can't run water - we don't go.

MagChloride - The trailer skins got etched from the mag-chloride on the clear but wet roads - even though we washed it down when we got home. It took many, many hours of polishing in the spring to get rid of the etching on our polished trailer. Even if your Airstream has clear coat, the MagChloride gets in any breaches that may exist and causes the dreaded filla-form corrosion. That's even more difficult to stop/get rid of than "just" repolishing.

Other Drivers - The other drivers on the road - many apparently new to snow-driving were less than courteous with our cautious speeds on the mountain roads. Not worth the stress in questionable conditions.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Well said Shari. The Mag Chloride consideration alone makes winter trips potentially very expensive adventures. Yikes!

Peter
Old 10-24-2016, 05:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
winter tires or studs or studless or?

As someone who has lived his entire adult life in the Pacific Northwest, I couldn't agree more!

Our FC 27FB is already winterized. We're hoping to snowbird next winter. I will always run winter (snowflake) tires on my truck due to the danger of early snowstorms but I'm looking forward to not driving in snow as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote