Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
x

XXXX , XXXX
Wide White Wall Tires

So last night I was doing some surfing on the net and found this company in South Carolina who make wide white wall tires. They sell a 7.00R x 15 tire available with three different size of wide white walls. The size varies from 3" to 3 3/4". The price per tire is $239 to $249 depending on the size of the white wall. The max load rating is 2040 lbs but the sales rep thought it must be incorrect and should be much higher as it is a very heavy and beefy tire.

Tires | Diamond Back Classic White Wall Tires - Vintage Tires - Redline & Redline Radial Tires for Antique and Classic Cars
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Chris, I wouldn't believe a salesman about weight. There are standard ways to rate tires and I see no reason to exceed those numbers.

I think white walls look cool on vintage vehicles, but I remember cleaning them decades ago and that was not cool. Dirty white walls definitely don't look cool; dirty black walls look better than dirty white.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Gene the way I left it with him was he was going to talk to the manufacturer about the weight rating and I would get back to him later. 2040 lbs would be fine for a dual axle trailer. 4 x 2040 = 8160 lbs total. Not too many a/s weigh that much. I was thinking about them for the 55 I just bought but as it's a single axle I would need confirmation from the manufacturer first. BTW the maker is Yokohama which I currently have on the 73 and have used their tires before on cars and really like them. I found them to be long lasting treads and have had zero failures with them.
I'm going to do a little research my self into the weight rating.
as to the white wall getting dirty, DB has a write up about how much better their process is for staying clean and what are good methods to keep them clean.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Chris,

I didn't know what "DB" means, so I looked it up. Data base, dead body, date of birth, decibel, dragon ball, David Bowie, and many more. I guess you are either traveling with a dead body or David Bowie.

But, tires. I think there are some differences between LT and P tires and my belief is that LT's are better for a trailer. P tires support less weight. But when these trailers were built, none of these ratings existed and everyone used bias ply tires and probably they were passenger car tires. I'm sure any tire is a better tire than the trailer came with.

I do expect it's easier to keep white walls white with tire cleaners today. I can remember scuff marks being hard to remove, but I've learned not to hit the curb since. Moon wheel covers go well with vintage.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Here's another place to check out wide whitewalls:
www.cokertire.com
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Bill beat me to it...I would go there to compare and get info.

"Bertha" has 'em.

Ah....Moon's do look good on a Vintage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01915.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	136256   Click image for larger version

Name:	RD.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	136258  

Old 07-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Chris,

I didn't know what "DB" means, so I looked it up. Data base, dead body, date of birth, decibel, dragon ball, David Bowie, and many more. I guess you are either traveling with a dead body or David Bowie.

But, tires. I think there are some differences between LT and P tires and my belief is that LT's are better for a trailer. P tires support less weight. But when these trailers were built, none of these ratings existed and everyone used bias ply tires and probably they were passenger car tires. I'm sure any tire is a better tire than the trailer came with.

I do expect it's easier to keep white walls white with tire cleaners today. I can remember scuff marks being hard to remove, but I've learned not to hit the curb since. Moon wheel covers go well with vintage.

Gene
Sorry Gene DB = Diamond Back, the name of the company.
The tire is a RY215 which is a LT tire. It's the same tire I have on my 73. 2040 lbs for a single axle, 1800 lbs for a dual axle.
The original tire was an 8 ply truck tire 7.00 x 15.

The weight listing for the 55 is 3240 lbs but I'm sure that once I upgrade it with waste tanks etc. the weight will rise. Then of course the weight of the contents plus 220 lb human and 80 lb dog adds 300 lbs to the mix. I'd hate to climb on board and have the tire blow out. How embarassing would that be. LOL.
That's what I was thinking wide white walls with chrome baby moon caps to top it off.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
That's the tire I had on my 8k Silver Streak. Highly recommend it. Too bad they don't offer the tire in a more appropriate stripe-size, as a narrow stripe, or multi-stripe would be better, more in keeping with the 1960's.

All aluminum trailers look a bit better with whitewalls. As did cars before they lost the chrome.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Elcrapo.... I just bought Yokohama trailer tires and I could of had them in whitewall?

That's a bummer...

I thought I would have to get portawalls
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
[QUOTE=Darkspeed;That's a bummer...I thought I would have to get portawalls[/QUOTE]

Now theres a blast from the past.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

If memory is correct, the last year for wide white walls on the Ford Galaxie was 1961. In 1962 they went to a smaller white wall and stayed with it for the rest of the 1960's. Not sure is that is the case with other car makers or trailer makers.

Both my 1962 Galaxie and a 1968 Travelall show smaller white wall in the sales lit.

I would like to find a small white wall in a 7.00x15 bias ply for the trailer, have yet to do so.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
These are not actually whitewalls, these are white stripes applied to tires.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #13
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
These are not actually whitewalls, these are white stripes applied to tires.
They still look cool though. The tires are the same size as the factory originals and radials to boot.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #14
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Do they have a good high load whitewall that would be usable for a 16" wheel upgrade?
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkspeed View Post
Do they have a good high load whitewall that would be usable for a 16" wheel upgrade?
They have tires from 14" to 18". Give them a call and tell them what size you need and they will tell you the load rating.
If you click on the link at the top of this thread you can open a catalog swohing what they have and there is a load chart in the catalog.