Old 07-28-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2004 28' Safari S/O
pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Why TPMS is worth it - in my case a DILL TPMS

A few years ago I had a sudden blow out due to a faulty tire on the trailer....not fun and expensive. This got me looking into TPMS systems. Will it warn me about a faulty tire that is about to blow out? Maybe.

Here is what it did warn me about so far:

1st. Had a rear caliper seize on my diesel. Temperature alarm on inner dually tire went off and there it was at 190. 30 minutes and one caliper later. Problem solved.

2nd. Recent trip noticed 3 trailer tires were at 90 degrees and one had climbed to 160 degrees. No alarm but a good indication to pull in the rest area that was coming up in 2 miles. A trip to Statesville NC Camping world and brake assembly later....back on the road. Big thanks from me and my family to Camping World for keeping the lights on for me to get the parts!!!! And thanks to NC troopers for not towing my un hitched trailer from the rest stop.

The Dill system is expensive and I questioned if it was worth it. Now I think it should be law to have new trailers (including equipment trailers) to have TPMS). A professional driver that stopped next to me and kindly offered me some GoJo to clean my hands after the brake job said that it is very common on the 18 wheelers now. I also place a value of being able to not have to check tire pressure in the rain ($20, 5 a tire).

Shameless plug -

Eastmen Tire Supplies - Tire Supplies, Tire Equipment | Butler, PA

I bought mine from Tim at Eastmen Tire Supplies in Bulter PA. Very helpful when I expanded the system from the standard 4 to include the 6 extra tires of the dually. All around good guy, consider giving him your business.

DaKarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
Just ordered a new Flying Cloud, due in around 9/10. Does anybody know if they come with metal valve stems? I want to use the tpms' off my old rig and they need to be on metal valve stems.

Thank you.

senioryakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
All Airstreams come with rubber valve stems. Not expensive to have changed out at a tire store, metal installed, put on the TPMS and have the tires spin balanced. Cost me an hour and $40 at Discount Tire.
2015 Classic
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote