Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

I've been using Dynabeads with excellent results for seven years now.

I just changed out a set of Maxxis tires due to age (born eight years ago, in service for seven years) and signs of probable age-related damage (I had some tread separation).

Since I don't like to throw usable things away, I removed the Dynabeads I had been using in the Maxxis tires for the past seven years. I found the little beads in exactly the same shape as when I installed them in 2006. I also found that there was absolutely no signs of the inside of the tires being worn in any way. There was no tire "dust" mixed with the beads which one might expect if they had been wearing away the inside of the tires all those years. The inside of the tires looked like they had just come from the factory.

So, I installed the same beads in my new Maxxis and expect I won't see them again for another seven years.

I like the Dynabeads because they are cheap, long-lasting and are even more effective than Centramatics because the beads are balancing at the farthest reaches of the tire's circumference (maybe 30 inches?) compared to Centramatics, which are confined to the circumference of the metal tube surrounding the hub (maybe 12 or 15 inches?).

To the poster who implied that solid weights are superior because such weights are used on engine crankshafts, I would ask: How would one balance such equipment otherwise? With Centramatics or Dynabeads?
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #42
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
So, if one gives up on the drum brakes and switches to disk brakes, the assembly balance issue gets resolved?

One would still need to spin balance the tires, but the rotor would be balanced and the Centramatics would fine tune the balance and compensate for the tire wear or garbage that gets stuck in the treads.
Disk brakes may be better but I know I have seen weights added to some rotors by the factory. Just don't know what their out of bal spec is.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If there is room, I would still add the Centramatics to a disk brake system.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
If there is room, I would still add the Centramatics to a disk brake system.
Hi, yes; Quite a few people have disc brakes with Centramatics.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #45
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
I sutre hope all those so interested in balance have confirmed with actual scale measurement the individual load on their tires is not above the tire rating.

AND

That they have installed TPMS so they get advance warning of air leak so they stop before destroying their tire and possibly damaging the RV.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #46
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Well, if you really want to get old-fashioned (the way luxury car dealers used to do it ca. 1969), then:

On vehicle spin balance and tread shaving
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote