Old 09-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I just ordered Dynabeads for my tires. S/B here in a few days, then I'm off for a couple of trips. I'll let you all know what I think.

This is a great thread on a very important subject. I think Switz posting #26 is dead on.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
I just thought I would point out that Airstream is the only trailer producer that I know of that ballances tires. All other trailers run alfresco. I am not saying it is a good idea just thought I would mention it.

We have our own mounting and balancing equipment and regualrly check tires. Most ST tires after a couple of years of use are substantially out of balance. LT and passenger tires we use on trailers almost never are even after 5 years.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
I just thought I would point out that Airstream is the only trailer producer that I know of that ballances tires. All other trailers run alfresco. I am not saying it is a good idea just thought I would mention it.

We have our own mounting and balancing equipment and regualrly check tires. Most ST tires after a couple of years of use are substantially out of balance. LT and passenger tires we use on trailers almost never are even after 5 years.

Andrew T
Interesting statement about ST tires going "out of balance". I wonder if the tires are slipping or rotating around the wheels or if the tires have developed "flat spot" from brake lock-up. Having actual data would allow corrective action. I know when tires are evaluated we marked the location of the valve stem on the side of the tire so we know if the tire slips on the rim. Sometimes this slip can be solved with the use of correct tire mount lube rather than dish soap that some use.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Who, offers a warranty on lead weight balancing?

Or for that matter, issues a written warrant that the wieghts "WILL NOT" fall off and the balancing, without exception, lasts X miles.

Many theory's about many things, in their days, were great, including tire balancing.

By today's advancement in Physics and simple running gear balancing, the old methods are outdated, and totally useless for the long term.

Any balancer that out lasts the tires life, is not even in the same class as lead weight balancing, especially when it comes to RV's.

But, as always the decision rests with the owners.

Centramatic owners have never, ever, stated any complaints, but most of them, have complained about the lead weight issues, from many stand points.

Progress is extremely important to most Airstream owners, at least based on my 47 plus years of working with them and finding many ways for them to better enjoy AIRSTREAMING!

Andy
All sorts of tire balancing techniques are being developed. Take a look at this one.

http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com...0ask%20doc.pdf
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Thanks for providing the document BlackAces.
Biggest issue is that I would be surprised if any ST type tire or possibly even any 3rd party importer markes their tires for dynamic balance.
If someone knows which tire companies do then I am sure we would all like to know.

I do note that this system has been in use for many years in the OE car tire market. I also note the closing paragraph that still talks about balancing assemblies even with tire high point mark.

As I said a spin balance on the vehicle will include the tire, wheel, hub & brake drum which would be better than just balancing the tire & wheel assy alone.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #34
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Thanks for providing the document BlackAces.
Biggest issue is that I would be surprised if any ST type tire or possibly even any 3rd party importer markes their tires for dynamic balance.
If someone knows which tire companies do then I am sure we would all like to know.

I do note that this system has been in use for many years in the OE car tire market. I also note the closing paragraph that still talks about balancing assemblies even with tire high point mark.

As I said a spin balance on the vehicle will include the tire, wheel, hub & brake drum which would be better than just balancing the tire & wheel assy alone.
Then the question becomes which is better, installing a lead weight 180 degrees opposite the heavy spot, or install 2 weights, 120 degees away from the heavy spot, as Snap-on recommends.

Obviously, the 2 weight system balancing, in normal service, will last about 10,000 miles. Not so for the single counter balance.

Andy
Old 09-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Then the question becomes which is better, installing a lead weight 180 degrees opposite the heavy spot, or install 2 weights, 120 degees away from the heavy spot, as Snap-on recommends.

Obviously, the 2 weight system balancing, in normal service, will last about 10,000 miles. Not so for the single counter balance.

Andy
Yes split weights are usually better just as on vehicle spin is better than wheel& tire only spin which is better than static.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
So, if one gives up on the drum brakes and switches to disk brakes, the assembly balance issue gets resolved?

One would still need to spin balance the tires, but the rotor would be balanced and the Centramatics would fine tune the balance and compensate for the tire wear or garbage that gets stuck in the treads.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
I am not a fan of anything except traditional balancing methods.

Hi, I wasn't either until I bought a trailer and noticed that trailer brake drums are not balanced. Centramatics make up for the drum and then some. I still have my tires/wheels machine balanced. Spin balancing on the vehicle is something that was more common about 40 years ago and virtually unheard of today.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:39 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
[QUOTE=CapriRacer;1349238]
Hub and rotors? If you'll look, you will find some that have grind marks or weights added. This is obviously there because they not only measure it for balance, but corrected the imbalance.

QUOTE]

Hi, Yes you will find grind marks, drill marks, and added weights on motor vehicle drums; You will also find similar things done to motor vehicle rotors, but you won't find any of these on trailer drums.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-05-2013, 02:48 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv4007 View Post

"At what speed does the centrifugal force become enough to overcome the force of gravity to cause the balancing effect to dominate? I don't know, but it seems to me that since gravity never stops working, it is always a factor of some sort."

Dennis
Hi, working at new car dealers since 1968, I can tell you that most out of balance wheels can be felt at freeway speeds, mostly between 60 and 65 MPH. I have seen cars on the freeway with wheels so out of balance that you can see the wheel actually bounce off of the ground. The out of balance seems to come and go as speed increases, but at about 65 MPH it feels the worse.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Hi, Yes you will find grind marks, drill marks, and added weights on motor vehicle drums; You will also find similar things done to motor vehicle rotors, but you won't find any of these on trailer drums.[/QUOTE]

I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hub.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	195007  
Old 09-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

I've been using Dynabeads with excellent results for seven years now.

I just changed out a set of Maxxis tires due to age (born eight years ago, in service for seven years) and signs of probable age-related damage (I had some tread separation).

Since I don't like to throw usable things away, I removed the Dynabeads I had been using in the Maxxis tires for the past seven years. I found the little beads in exactly the same shape as when I installed them in 2006. I also found that there was absolutely no signs of the inside of the tires being worn in any way. There was no tire "dust" mixed with the beads which one might expect if they had been wearing away the inside of the tires all those years. The inside of the tires looked like they had just come from the factory.

So, I installed the same beads in my new Maxxis and expect I won't see them again for another seven years.

I like the Dynabeads because they are cheap, long-lasting and are even more effective than Centramatics because the beads are balancing at the farthest reaches of the tire's circumference (maybe 30 inches?) compared to Centramatics, which are confined to the circumference of the metal tube surrounding the hub (maybe 12 or 15 inches?).

To the poster who implied that solid weights are superior because such weights are used on engine crankshafts, I would ask: How would one balance such equipment otherwise? With Centramatics or Dynabeads?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #42
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
So, if one gives up on the drum brakes and switches to disk brakes, the assembly balance issue gets resolved?

One would still need to spin balance the tires, but the rotor would be balanced and the Centramatics would fine tune the balance and compensate for the tire wear or garbage that gets stuck in the treads.
Disk brakes may be better but I know I have seen weights added to some rotors by the factory. Just don't know what their out of bal spec is.