Old 03-10-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Why not a tire like this for a smaller 23ft trailer like mine. Not quite as wide but it isn't as tall either and it has a speed rating of T. It just seems to me that the taller the tire is the more roll you get. I know nothing about tires though.

Tire Specifications for: Michelin® Agilis®
Tire Size: 205/65R15C (MSPN: 83708)Product Overview
Service Description 102/100T
Model Number (MSPN) 83708
Warranty Standard
Original Equipment Volkswagen
Sizing
What’s this?
Tire Size 205/65R15C
Type of Tire Light Truck
Rim Width Range 5.5" - 6.5"
Section Width on Measuring Rim Width 8.2" on 6"
Aspect Ratio 65
Overall Diameter 25.5"
Tread Depth 10/32"
Tire Revolutions per Mile 815 at 45mph
Speed and Load Ratings:
What’s this?
Speed Ratings T
Load Index 102/100
Maximum Load 1874lbs.@55 psi

Old 03-13-2008, 05:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Tire

Start with the outside dimentions of the tire that is on the trailer now.
What make/modelsize is on your trailer now.
Where you get into trouble is the tight fender wells.
The Michelin® Agilis® is a light truck tire (according to Michelin)
Agilis®: Light Truck: Tires: Michelin Tires
with a speed rating of T (118 MPH) so it should stand the heat.
The dimensions of the tire might not work though.

Beginner

Old 03-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
23 foot Safari SE wheel/tire

Congratulations. We enjoy our 2006 23 footer in our off road adventures. The factory available 14 inch tires (load range C) and wheels are the weak point for us. All other current AS trailers have the 6 lug 15" wheel.

I am presently taking advice from some experienced trailer owners on going to a five lug 15" wheel to mount Load Range D tires. For our gravel and dirt road experiences the Marathon 14" tires cannot avoid getting center tread punctures by road gravel. I have even had owners going to a 16 inch wheel and tire, although I do not think the 5 lug wheels available can be found in 16 inch diameter. Not that they do not exist, just I have been looking at the 15 inch wheels available. Mickey Thompson has a nice 15 inch, 5 lug, 8 inch wide wheel and there was one other wheel with an 8 inch width (for the LT or Trailer 225/75/15- D Load Range tire that is 8 inches wide. Not that we overload the AS and need the extra weight handling, but for a more durable off road package. Too many flats and ruined Marathon C Range 14" tires. I am using 14" Tow Max tires that have held up so far, but I am still unconvinced a Load Range C tire will perform like a D or E load range tire for our off road uses.

My camping season begins next month, and before then I will be making a decision on a wheel and tire combination. If you find a solution that works, I am very interested in hearing of your experiences!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The tire will roughly be the same height as a 185/75 15 tire.
For every increase in width there is a decrease in height, the height would be roughly the same for a 195/70 15, a 205/65 15, 215/60 15. The increase in aspect ratio results in the decrease in height. Be careful the wider wheel and tire will fit in the wheelwell.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
23 foot AS's have 14" wheels & tires

"Why not a tire like this for a smaller 23ft trailer like mine. Not quite as wide but it isn't as tall either and it has a speed rating of T. It just seems to me that the taller the tire is the more roll you get. I know nothing about tires though."

I was checking back to see if there were any more tire suggestions and picked up the idea that you think you have 15 inch wheels and tires. The 23 foot Airstream have 14 inch wheels and load range C is the best you can do. That is why I have to go to a 15 inch wheel to get D Load tires.

Just in the event you did not check your tire and wheel size...
Old 06-06-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
"Why not a tire like this for a smaller 23ft trailer like mine. Not quite as wide but it isn't as tall either and it has a speed rating of T. It just seems to me that the taller the tire is the more roll you get. I know nothing about tires though."

I was checking back to see if there were any more tire suggestions and picked up the idea that you think you have 15 inch wheels and tires. The 23 foot Airstream have 14 inch wheels and load range C is the best you can do. That is why I have to go to a 15 inch wheel to get D Load tires.

My trailer came with the 15 inch aluminum wheels back in 87. So there are some years that A/S put 15 inch on the 23 footer. Granted they were originally a C rated tire but over the years I've gone to D rated. To answer another question that might pop up, yes, I am the original owner.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:55 PM   #7
Ham KI4HJX

1982 27' Excella
1970 23' Safari
Franklin , 28734
My info on the Dexter axel say's to use a wheel with zero offset that is trailer rated. My 1970 Safari has 15 inch wheels 6 lug.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Hi Ray, I'll give you my update.

I checked my marathon tires at Bozeman before i left, when i got to yellowstone i checked them again, i check my tires quite often after reading some of the horror stories.

The two tires on the door side were coming apart, i didn't dare to drive it at all. The nearest shop i could get 15 inch wheels and tires was in Idaho 75 miles away, so off i went with just a spare to match up the bolt pattern,(just in case).

I bought 5 ultra type 50 polished Aluminum wheels which are awesome looking IMO, I'll try to post picks in a few weeks, i'm in Colorado now. I also got ST225/75/15 Dynatrail Trailer tires, now that was not my first choice of tires, it was my only choice, lol.

It raised my AS almost 2 inches which is huge! It really gets that water pipe up where it belongs. The kicker is, i get an average of about 12.8 to 13 mpg usually if i take it easy. My first two fill ups with the new setup i got 15.8 and 15.9 mpg so far. I was driving from outside yellowstone west entrance to Vail Colorado where i sit right now. There were many high passes and mountains and many stops so far, which i don't include in the 13 mpg range. Even if it turns out to be a 1 mpg pickup, i'm still happy.

Now i really can't believe it, so i'll give it a few more tank fill ups. On the highway it seems like like like night and day, it just glides so much easier. Now i would imagine the 65lbs compared to 50lbs might have something to do with it. I also think the footprint of the tire is smaller, but maybe some of the tire experts could help me out there.

Now i'm wondering how the 16 inch tires perform compard to the 15 inch? Do they give better mileage? It would definately be a very tight fit with a 16 though. Maybe Lew could chime in on this one, i think he had 14 inch tires on his 19 footer and changed over to 16 inch tires.

Now i don't know how good these tires are or how they will wear, but so far i'm super happy. I have another 3k miles before i'm home in Alabama, then i'm going up to MA for a month or so. I'm sure i'll put on another 7-8 k before i get back home from there. So i'll be able to judge them a little better by then.

George
Old 06-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Milford , Michigan
Ray,

Did you finally pick something out? I am on my first set of Marathons, and want to go to the 15" as well. Not sure 16" would suit me as I would always be worrying about it. I am trying to keep the same look as the current International set up. Sendel seems like my only option.

I too am a dirt road guy. Spend most of my time traveling fire road type of stuff at real low speeds in Montana.

Never had big problem with my GYM's. They were stored in a heated and cooled garage since 2009. Only woke up a couple times to a flat. Never on the road.

Your thoughts or anyone else would be appreciated. Leaving for Nova Scotia this summer.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Great 14" C rated tires for a modern 23 Foot Airstream

I had totally checked out of the 14 inch tire complaining... and now have a 25 foot Airstream with Goodyear 15" D rated tires.

The 15" Goodyear Marathons I have had NO problems. None. I keep them inflated at or 5 pounds below the maximum. Wearing well and cannot find any reason to worry about them. Although... when I need to replace them, I am going to a Costco Tow Master with nitrogen. Even if Nitrogen, as some claim, is more of a gimmick and not a solution to air loss over time. My nitrogen filled tires have never needed to be taken to Costco to bring them back to pressure. But that is only my word... my tires and not saying one thing and doing something else.

Maybe to a Michelin non trailer tire if I am comfortable that they will preform well on a trailer.

Goodyear 14" C rated Tires. Pathetic, is the short description. Nothing but trouble with blowouts, easily punctured by stones, uneven wear, getting unusual bubbles on the outside smooth lettered areas... My first bubbles on the outside of an original tire with several hundred miles of use... the "good friendly" Goodyear dealer charged me more that I could buy a good brand for... wear. The tire was under warranty and he indicated I must have driven thousands of miles on the tire with an overweighted trailer.

Goodyear and I were "divorced that day, forever". Although the 15" tires have held up, I just am not a happy camper after the "Goodyear Tire Dealer's Terms of Wear".

I found two brands of 14" tires that I have had NO problems when I owned the 23 footer. They were durable. They did not get center tire punctures on gravel roads. No blowouts.

Greenball Towmaster sold by Costco.
Tow Max sold by Schwab.

I would wear them down to about 1/4 of the tread left and replaced them for ease of mind. You pick one of these tires up before they are mounted and you can feel the "weight" of rubber and belting. I never thought of holding up the 14" Goodyear, but cannot recall.

Goodyear 14" tires in my experience are hazards to ALL Airstream owners.

Goodyear 15" so far on my 2014 25 footer have performed well without incident.

Airstream should have a MINIMUM of a 15 inch wheel for all lengths. Even by beefing up the 23 footer's axles in the process.

I liked the shorter trailer and narrower body of the 23 foot Airstream. Great for Boondockers. The 14 inch tires are an example of profits over safety. Yes, the 14 inch tires and lighter double axle might be engineered, but sometimes SAFETY is more important. Cheap as in a steel wheel, not if you have to purchase one from Airstream.

The spare tire and WHEEL should match what are running on the other 4 wheels. The mag wheel lug nuts are ill fitted to the steel cheap wheel for a spare tire.

Same as Toyota Tundra's are doing with All Season Tires on the truck and a spare car tread tire and steel wheel for a spare. The Goodrich's I immediately replace with Michelin's AT2 E rated tires and sell the originals on Craigs List. I bought a matching mag wheel and left the new spare at the Toyota dealer and mounted a Michelin AT2, E Rated. I will get 65,000 miles on this set of tires. (Be careful, there is a SUV AT2 and a Truck AT2... not the same.)

So, not to "tire" you out reading this... I had a PM from Dan R. coming across some thread, maybe this was the one, where I spoke of my actual experiences with the 14" Goodyears.

My conclusion: The 14" will be discovered causing accidents and it is not from your "overloading, driving ability, or going too fast". It is cheap.

The 15" D Rated Goodyears on my 2014 are preforming well without incident. So far, I am pleased.

So... trust me. They can shove the 14" wheel and tire back where it belongs and that is in a storeroom with no takers. You love your 14" tires. Great. When something happens, please post it on this thread. I was too ignorant on my first trailer purchase and did not realize the 23 footer had 14 inch, C Rated tires.

Fool me once, I am the fool... Fool me twice, you (Airstream) are the fool.