Old 06-29-2016, 08:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB International
Metuchen , New Jersey
Why Michelin tires?

I've read a lot of the postings here of people switching out their new tires for Michelin brand tires. Why? Do these tires make that much of a difference?

Do you personally replace the tire or take it to a service center for the switch out?

GenXair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Pretty hard to replace your own tires. I take mine to a service center. Anything is better than the ST tires. Mich, Firestone, etc. I use LT tires in 16 inch.

1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I have been using Michelin tires since the 1950s. All but a few times I have used other brands the results were poor. I can't recall any blowouts with Michelins. A blow out on an Airstream trailer can cause thousands of dollars in damages. I put on the Michelins as insurance against that.
Don and Lou----Don posting
'06 Safari 25 LS
'97 Chevy Suburban K2500 Diesel
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I've run Michelins for years on cars, trucks & a class C motorhome, but they are not perfect. I've had one set recalled, & the only blowout in 14k miles of sketchy roads to Alaska and back was a Michelin on my TV ! The Carlilses on my FC28 were fine.. . . just sayin'. . . .regards, Craig
WBCCI 2851,4CU
RamblinManGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Purchased wheels and tires mounted and balanced from Americas Tire. Installed the new wheels and tires on the trailer in the street in front of my house. Rolled the trailer up on one set of LEGOs and replaced the hanging tire. Repeated until all changed.

When or it you replace install Centramatics. The balance of the brake drum is not addressed when the tire and wheel combination is balanced. Order them from Centramatic and have them shipped to your home. Mount tube inward over and around the drum with the mounting plate flat against the bolt surface per the instructions.

Why Michelins? Manufactured to a higher safety standard because they are Extra Load Passenger car tires, "P" rated XLs. If 16 in tires will fit, go with Light Truck tires. The stiffer side wall helps stability and they too are passenger standard rated tires. The LT tires help on a tow Vehicle as well.

I like Michelins. Good Luck and travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #6
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Michelins are good tires. But they are just tires. They can blow out. They are not indestructible. No tire is.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Michelin tires and Aluminum corrosion seem to be the two hottest topics on this forum. What I am going to say will 1. Cause me to have a flat this weekend and 2. Elicit a lot of snarky posts. Although this is my first Airstream, a 25FB, I have towed 5 different boats with tandem axles for the past 40 years. All of them weighed more than my AS and all of them had trailer grade tires. One flat tire. I do check pressure and tire condition religiously and I "feel" the tires and hubs at every stop. I do not consider myself to be luckier than the next guy except for the fact that my better half has kept me around for the same 40 years.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's about having the most reliable tire we can get for our Airstream because our travels are far from home. If we were just traveling locally in reasonable temperatures to lakes or parks I would stick with the GYM's, and keep the speed down.

That said, the GYM's are known to start coming apart after two or three towing seasons.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:28 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My experience with a 2016 FC 27', bought new in November last year. I replaced my 15" GYMs with 15" Michelins at Discount Tire in San Antonio TX this spring after picking up a nail on one of the GYMs.

1. My GYMs had a MAXIMUM tow speed of 65 mph. My Michelins do not. I now tow per road conditions, up to 75 mph. I feel the 65 mph restriction is unsafe.

2. My GYMs had 2-3 psi drop in pressure every week or so. I had to constantly add air. My Michelins stay at a constant 49 psi, all the time. I no longer have to worry about airing up before a trip. Once at operating temperature (6-8 degrees above ambient), pressure goes up about 6 psi. That's it.

These are objective facts.

Subjectively, comparing the tires side by side, the Michelin tire simply looks better constructed; with crisper mould lines and a well defined tread. The GYM tire looks like crap, frankly.

YMMV, obviously. I would never tow an Airstream with GYM tires again.
2016 30' Flying Cloud / 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

ďCharacter is doing the right thing when nobodyís looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing thatís right is to get by, and the only thing thatís wrong is to get caught.Ē - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Michelin on my Dodge Ram 2500, Airstream and Corolla. Good service from the tires. Simply, they do the job.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #11
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
These are objective facts.

...YMMV, obviously.
And it does. My GYMs do not lose any pressure. And did not explode after a 1200 mile trip. These are also "objective" facts.

GYMs have gotten a bad forum reputation, yet thousands of trailers are using them today. Yet Michelin doesn't even make a trailer tire. People use light truck tires on their trailers, and call that safe. I just don't get it.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Augusta , Kansas
I want to switch out the 14" wheels and tires to the 15's on my 2011 Flying Cloud 23 FB. There is good clearance all around the wheel wells, but the back tire is 2.75" away from the wheel trim on the 14" setup. Increasing the tire diameter by 2.2" would put the new tires 1.65" from the bottom rear of the wheel well trim. Is that enough clearance? I am wanting to go with the Michelin Defender 235 r75/15.
submirj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
There is a mythos attached to Michelin tires that's hard to refute.
"Between what matters and what seems to matter, how should the world we know judge wisely?" - E.C. Bentley, Trent's Last Case
drboyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:09 PM   #14
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
In my opinion (which is about worthless unless you read this on the internet. Then it is factual because everything on the internet is true)

It is a higher end tire that you will pay a premium to obtain
If you are operating a high end travel trailer, high end tires may be the match you seek.
As far as I know none of the Michelin tires are designed for trailers - they are designed either as passenger car tires or light truck tires
As a LT tire the load capacity may be greater
You may be able to drive continuously at speeds greater than 65 mph - unlike a ST tire
You may be able to abuse them to a greater degree than a lower end tire
There may be some ego involved in owning a set

Typically owners will up grade to a larger diameter rim size when replacing tires as well which allows the user to have greater load capacity or a greater margin of reserve load capacity.

And in the arena of damage to a trailer, (with some restrictions) greater load capacity may reduce the possibility of a major tire event causing damage to the coach.

Individual results may vary
Some assembly required
Batteries not included if you get TPMS

1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote