Old 07-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #29
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
But I would caution everyone to completely do your homework before you do this. There are situations where you can get yourself into trouble.

My personal recommendation is to weigh your trailer fully loaded - even if you are going to use the size that came on the trailer. It is known that some trailer manufacturers have not done a good job of sizing tires for their trailer. I don't know if Airstream is one of those or not. It is important that you know what the loads on the individual tires are. Be sure to account for side to side and front to rear variation Tires on a trailer are not evenly loaded!
In 1997 I bought a new 27' boat that weighed dry North of 6000 pounds. The dual axle trailer the dealer matched to the boat was rated well for the length and the load of the boat. However the combined load rating of the tires were rated for about 300 pounds greater that the dry weight of the total load of boat and trailer. (I weighed after taking delivery at some distance) Since the dealer was about 700 miles from my home I lost the first tire on the way to my home. No damage other than the tire and the dealer paid for everything. In the next 22 months 4 tires failed. It had a spare. The tire company was out of the NE and shipped tires under warranty however I discovered the load margin wasn't good. The biggest deal was the tires were on 14" rims and that was done for easier unloading/loading at the boat ramp. (Lowered trailer)

I believe Airstrem does better than that. And as stated above, being informed as to what you have and how it will be used goes a long way to having a better camping experience. No one want to handle a tire issue when traveling.

As to the Michelins on an EB Airstream. That is high end of the high end. Not much competition and if there is, the market place demands the high end everything. Airstream is listening. And I bet on the least expensive trailers, AS will be in a price slot with some one else. High end tires are not a consideration when loosing market share. (Or breaking into new markets) So if a tire is rated to to the anticipated load and the consumer is price sensitive and does not demand high end ....... in the case of tires expect round, black and cheap. And the first 2 are optional.

>>>>>>>>>>Action

Old 07-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #30

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
As to the Michelins on an EB Airstream. That is high end of the high end. Not much competition and if there is, the market place demands the high end everything. Airstream is listening.
>>>>>>>>>>Action
I don't believe however, that Airstream was looking high end initially when the EB was released. If you go back previous to that trailer, the folks on this forum had been complaining about ST tire failures and Airstream was watching and listening. It was folks here who started making the switch out and were using Michelin LT's as the tire of choice that were the innovators in this movement. I sincerely believe that the EB was the test bed that Airstream used to verify in their minds that there was an LT tire out there that could be an adequate or superior substitute to ST's.

For all intents the continued migration by those of us to LT's here actually fueled Airstream's interest in the LT tire beyond the Eddie Bauer. What they saw was dissatisfaction that their premium product was less than premium if the ST tires were perceived as marginal by existing and future customers. In essence the trailer line has evolved to include the Michelin LT as the standard tire on their high end trailers because many of us now expect it.

What we need to see in the future is that the LT become the standard for them on most of the product line. That truly will put them in a different class in the towing community, moving them away from the limitations that an ST tire has.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Re: Bob Thompson's Discussion Thread "Tires... Tires... Tires..."

JCanavera, well stated!

I believe the early evaluation of 16" wheels and LT tires was initiated by AirForums member Bob Thompson, circa 2005.

For a short history lesson, see discussion thread: Tires... Tires... Tires...
Old 07-01-2016, 02:20 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dexter , Maine
It is funny to me that people are using the reasoning that "Airstream is mounting Michelin's on their heaviest trailers" so it must be the right thing to do? Didn't the same people just argue that Airstream didn't know what they were doing when they put GYM ST tires on their trailers? Funny Uh. Now Airstream has figured it out but only on 2 models of trailers?

Joe D
Old 07-01-2016, 04:01 PM   #33

1997 25' Excella
Sault Ste. Marie , Ontario
Tire issue and HOT States

The tire issues reported seem to come from members in the hot States. Not too much heard from the Northern States and Canada. I hate operating anything at it's maximum such as 65 MPH. Found Cooper Tires make a trailer tire under the name of " Hercules" that has a much higher Speed Rating and has a network of dealers. This tire has performed very well on a couple of recent trailers for me,BUT I operate in Canada and as far south as Tennessee. Maybe this will help some,,,,, Good luck
Old 07-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
As far as AS making thoughtful technical decisions on tires, all that they need to do is talk with Michelin Technical in Greenville, SC. If a formal joint memo would then appear making it clear what can be used I think we would all quickly react. Isn't this the way the business sector claims that they can work together and make better and faster decisions than those resulting from being dragged kicking and screaming by the government? Where is the ever popular spirit of Corporate Responsibility being displayed by AS?
Old 07-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Dexterpix - LOL. I think you hit the nail on the head. When I am working on my trailer fixing things that shouldn't need to be fixed, I often wonder of AS knows or cares what it is doing!
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:31 PM   #36
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabin View Post
Where is the ever popular spirit of Corporate Responsibility being displayed by AS?
Follow the money. When it affects sales, changes occur. The market place has always ruled!

Otherwise the "corporate responsibility" is to put the minimum standard in place. And then tell you through the owner's manual of your responsibility.

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-02-2016, 07:43 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Airstream only needs tires to get the trailer down the assembly line. When it is "released from production", the dealer's line of credit is charged for the trailer and the dealer is now the proud owner of inferior tires. He hopes they get the trailer to the dealership where the worry is transferred to the typical unaware buyer.

Thus the choice for the cheapest Chinese made tires even with the GoodYear name. Of course the name may imply the expected life of the tire.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Mill Valley , California
Going 16 inch Michelin - To Rib or LTX?

I have one of the single axle trailers, a 22 ft FBR. Great trailer, very maneuverable, but that is a lot of weight on two tires.

On this last trip, one of the GYMs separated on a curve at freeway speed near Roseburg Oregon. Lots of blue smoke and unneeded excitement. Got it changed OK, and no damage to the trailer thankfully. But when I went to the tire shop, I sure got an earful about all the failed GYMs they see. I had them take off the other one. The tread was visibly spreading apart in the middle. An early warning a suppose. I replaced both with what I could get at the time, Les Schwab specials, but load range E instead of D.

After spending more time than I would like reading everything on this forum, some of it twice, I have searched out the 16 inch wheels TO3SM from Sendel and found two different Michelin tires, the LTX: LT225/75R16 115/112R E which seems to be quite popular on the forum and the LT225/75R16 XPS Rib 08404 LRE. These are both 29.4 inch diameter tires, while the old 15 inch GYMs were 28.3. I will look, but suspect that I easily have the extra 1/2 inch of wheelwell capacity, even allowing for full suspension travel.

What I would like to know from those who know is what are the perceived advantages and disadvantages between these tires - ignoring price.

Thank you very much for your help,

Andrew
Old 07-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
I think the ribs are a lot more expensive.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:07 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Welcome to the forum Andrew! We have been contemplating a similar upgrade, and I will reply more fully tomorrow from home. We also have a single axle so our parameters are similar.

I have also read most of the threads on this topic, and seem to recall that the rib tires contain a warning not to operate them at high temperatures, but don't quote me.

The 20-footer thread has a number of FC20 owners who have already made the upgrade:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...rs-127845.html

If you use "Search this thread" at the top there for "Sendel Michelin" the relevant posts should be easy to find. If not I will locate them manana.

Cheers,

Peter

PS we are aiming for the Michelin LTX M&S E load, for off-road and snow traction in curves and braking.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Link to post that explains differences between Michelin XPS Ribs, LTX M/S2 and LTX A/T2:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ml#post1485434

All are 10-ply rated, load range E, light truck tires with 3 steel radial belts. However, the LTX M/S2 and LTX A/T2 have a 2-ply polyester casing (sidewall), while the XPS Ribs is 1-ply steel.

The current price for the XPS Rib is around $250, while the others are $175-180.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #42

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Why Michelin tires?

I'm not classifying ST tires as junk, but instead as marginal depending on your application and use. In mine, reliability means changing them out every 3 1/2 years, which for me is not a good value. So I respect the fact that for some, a ST tire is a perfectly reliable product. Like any product produced today there are various grades of quality and life expectancy. I buy products with the intent of expecting reliability and long life.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote