Old 08-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Which would you pick?

If all of you could pick a tire which manufacturer would it be? I am running old Bias ply tires from the 80s still dryrotted? yes I am long overdue for a blow out. I know my buddy at Kamper City is useing a mfg out of Georgia.
any reccomendations?

Old 09-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
If I had my choise, I would use Michilen's. I've read on here were some people are changing to 16" wheels just so they can use Michilen LT tires.

They've got to be better than most of the ST tires being sold.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
If all of you could pick a tire which manufacturer would it be? I am running old Bias ply tires from the 80s still dryrotted? yes I am long overdue for a blow out. I know my buddy at Kamper City is useing a mfg out of Georgia.
any reccomendations?
Mustang. I have Goodyear Marathon ST225/75R 15 tires on my 2007 25' Safari. The original equipment tires were manufactured in Canada and the replacement tires are now being made in China. The China Marathons look like they are better quality than the ones made in Canada. I just had one of the Canada made tires replaced under warantee, as it developed a bulge in the sidewall after 9,100 miles. I would stay with the ST tires as they are built for trailer use. I do not like the idea that the tires on my bicycle are made in China, so you probably know how I feel about having my Airstream running on tires made in China. If I was changing all of my tires, I would install Cooper Customer Trailer Plus tires as they are the only ST tires manufactured in the USA for my trailer.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Maxxis are decent

If you want to stay with 15" wheels, the Maxxis UE-168 is a very good tire. It is both LT and ST rated. I think you can get it in a 225/70-15, and that can be had in a D or E load range. D should be fine for you. I have 235/75-15's on my Avion and so don't know if the Airstream's wheel wells are big enough for that one. I have D's on mine, but with six wheels, am way good on load capacity. I believe my tires are rated at like 2150lbs each so that would give 8600lbs with four of them, I have 12,900 and a gross of 9600 on the trailer so I'm in good shape. If 8600 isn't enough, you could move up to E's.

Even better, though, if you're willing to spend the money, is to upgrade your wheels to 16" or 17" and get BF Goodrich Commercial TA's or Michelin's.

Good luck whichever route you go,
Old 09-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #5

1963 24' Tradewind
Raleigh , North Carolina
I have the Maxxis now- great riding tires. Experienced 2 blow outs with Marathon STs, both under 2 years old and 1,000 miles. Never again.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
People seem to like Maxxis but I guess you have to buy them through the 'Net.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:58 AM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I put about 4800 miles on my Carlisle tires this year. Very happy with them, even though I read how bad they are. I keep them properly inflated and the tread still looks almost new.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
You can use a 235/75R x 15" LT Load range "C" Michelin on your 71 31'. They do hold their balance much better than "trailer" tires and are less likely to pick up flats. I have also had good luck with Yokohama and Bridgestone LT tires.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
People seem to like Maxxis but I guess you have to buy them through the 'Net.
Hi all; I have picked Maxxis because that is what my distributor stocks. We have installed them on many boat trailers for about a year now without any problems. I could not safely fit 16 inch wheels under my Argosy, and my decision was based on that fact. I as a rule do not patronize Chinese product, period. My 2500 GMC has E range Michelin's and I absolutely love them and if I could get them in 15" I would get rid of Maxxis today.

I do not wish to add fire to this tire thread, but I think that many failures on all tires are related to either under inflation but most from over inflating. All tires should be inflated to required carrying capacity and not to the maximum inflation rate. My 26' Argosy is 5500 lbs loaded. I have originally inflated my tires to 45 Psi but reading the posts of those [inflate to the max] I have gone up to 55 lbs. Mile down the road my wife asked what is wrong. What do you mean, I asked? Why is the truck riding so rough? was her answer. Not that I did noticed it also, but we had no place to pull off to reduce the tire pressure. Another 58 miles further the tire pressure was dropped back to 45 lbs were it has been since. We often pull off at rest stops to check for unusual tire and hub heat, and both are barley warm after long 75 MPH run. The [inflate them to the max crowd] can do as they please and I have no intention to argue this issue, but my tires will stay at 45 Psi. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 10-08-2008, 07:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
A couple of thoughts on the matter

While searcing the net looking for different tires that might work on my trailer, I discovered the "XL" (extra load) 235/75R 15 light truck tires are rated for more weight than load range "C" equivelant sized tires. A possibility.

A few people on here have elected to go with 16" LT tires, and although I'm sure they will work just fine, the additional cost of the new wheels alone will be pushing $500 or more. Then, there's the possible clearance issue with a 1" larger diameter tire/wheel. Granted, the 16" LT tires are probably better quality than the 15" ST tires, but they are not immune to failure either.

Most all tire failures start with underinflation and heat, and that includes the ones that seperate first, loose pressure, and then self distruct. The thing is, if this happens to the TV tires, you will feel it before complete failure of the tire, stop to inspect, and change the tire. However, if it happens on a tandem axel trailer while driving, you probably won't feel it until it's too late and the tire has completely come apart and most likely damaged the trailer in addition.

I've decided the way to go for me, is to install the Pressure Pro to monitor the tire pressure in both the trailer and TV tires, and then go with a good readily available tire for the triailer, and change them out at the four year point, good tread or not.

Yes, the Pressure Pro is expensive also, but it is a simple matter to change it from vehicle to vehicle, or trailer to trailer, and that way it becomes more of an investment than say, new wheels and tires that will eventually go with the trailer when you trade. Unless, you have space to store the older 15" tires/wheels to reinstall for resale.

Just my choice of a way to address the problem trailer tires.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Tires

mustang
1. Your 1971 31 foot Sovereign came originally with 7.00-15 8 ply rated LT tires.
2. The outside diameter of the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A (LT225/75R16) is the same as the outside diameter of the original Michelin XCA 7.00-15 8 ply rated tire. The Michelin XPS (also LT225/75R16) is also close enough to the XCA to not make a difference.
3. The maximum sidewall width of the Goodyear Marathon ST225/75R16 is close enough to the maximum width of the Commercial T/A and the XPS that both 16 inch LT tires are being used with excellent results (no blow outs, no adding air to the tires every time you move the trailer etc).
4. New wheels are expensive. Repairing tire damage is also expensive.
Tire damage occurs when on vacation not when the trailer is stored.
I purchased 5 rims and 5 Commercial T/As and havent had to actually add nitrogen but once in the 2 seasons the tires have been on the trailer.
Beginner