Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
Which tire replacement

I have an Argosy 20 and the tires on it are only 2 years old but they are 700x15 bias LT tires. As we plan a 2000 mile trip this winter to Florida and I really don't want to deal with tire issues, I am wondering if I can go to radials as they run with less resistance and run much cooler. Wondering what size would be appropriate and am i better off buying a tire and wheel package. The stock wheels are ok but really need blasting and paint. I would love to find a set of mags for them Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
Haoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
Forgot to add that I would keep the stock wheels if I can get baby moons to fit them.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
The Michelin LT seem to be the tire everyone is going to. I went with the LTX m/s Michelin in a 16" They do make a 15" that should work as they are rated over 2000# each..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
Ok so if I go with the Michelin 16" I would assume that I just need to find a size that would be a similar diameter or slightly smaller. What about a wheel? Any recommendations?
Old 09-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haoleman View Post
Ok so if I go with the Michelin 16" I would assume that I just need to find a size that would be a similar diameter or slightly smaller. What about a wheel? Any recommendations?
not sure what the 700x 15 relates to. But I went from a 225 75 R15 to a R16 so my overall height changed by a 1/2 inch.

my new tires and rims measure about 29" high if that helps.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
I just put Michelin LTX M/S2 P235-75-R15 XL 108T tires on our 1992 Excella. It says on the tires that they will each carry 2183 pounds. Several dealers told me the maximum capacity is 1985 lbs., but that's not what it says on the tires, and it's not what the 108 means. Some people on this forum gave me a heads up on this, and they were right on. I haven't tried the tires yet, but others have given good reports on them. They fit on my trailer. Don't know if they will fit yours.
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
There has always been a big debate as to whether or not you must use "trailer" tires on a trailer as in the old days like the age of our trailers, there wasn't such a thing. Trailer tires are usually inferior in construction and quality control compared to passenger car/light truck tires and fail much more often. I'd love to hear from an ex tire mfg employee about this as to why we need to use trailer tires.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
And while we're on tires, does anyone know where I might pick up a set of mag rims or the other possibility is what baby moons fit my rims. Mine have the clips around the lug area to hold the hub caps. I painted my last trailer rims when I restored my 1957 Scotsman.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
There has always been a big debate as to whether or not you must use "trailer" tires on a trailer as in the old days like the age of our trailers, there wasn't such a thing. Trailer tires are usually inferior in construction and quality control compared to passenger car/light truck tires and fail much more often. I'd love to hear from an ex tire mfg employee about this as to why we need to use trailer tires.
For safety, use load range "D" tires.

Typically, trailer tires have greater sidewall construction, so that they are not damaged on tight turns when the trailer has 2 or 3 axles.

Then, tires are like cars.

Which is best?????

We prefer to stick with the Airstream brand tire useage.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Useful Tire Infomation

Quote:
You may find the discussion in the following link helpful and educational.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ney-92584.html
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have a '74, 20' Argosy. Virtually the same as yours. I changed to 16" aluminum wheels and 235/75 R 16 Goodrich LT tires last year. Goodrich, not Goodyear. I have about 8000 miles on them now and they are just perfect. I run them at 60 psi. You can see a not too great photo of the wheels on the Andersen hitch thread, about 4 pages back from the end. I got them locally and don't have a brand I can tell you.

The year previous I had a new Dexter Axle installed. Everything fits fine, lots of room to change the tires. It was a very good upgrade in my opinion.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
Thanks for all the great information. Andy answered the critical question for me. It has to do with "scrub" in a turn which only affects multi axle units. Now I get why trailer tires are recommended but for a single axle trailer, the forces should be similar to that of our tow vehicle and as long as the tires are a percentage over the intended load and with proper inflation, all should be fine. All light truck rated tires are at a minimum of a D range load capacity. so I guess that answers it.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Thanks for all the great information. Andy answered the critical question for me. It has to do with "scrub" in a turn which only affects multi axle units. Now I get why trailer tires are recommended but for a single axle trailer, the forces should be similar to that of our tow vehicle and as long as the tires are a percentage over the intended load and with proper inflation, all should be fine. All light truck rated tires are at a minimum of a D range load capacity. so I guess that answers it.
It's funny that this is brought up about trailer tires? Because I couldn't find this information on any tire manufacture website. I'm wondering if someone has a link to a manufacturer talking about this. There are plenty of people and tire dealers that talk about the sidewall being stronger but not the manufacturer.

And the dealers just state that the nylon and wire threads in the tires are bigger than LT tires..

Can anyone help with this. Some real info form a manufacturer, I would like to read about it..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
St. Charles , Missouri
I own a 1995 Excella 1000 34' Aristream. I am confused (not unusual) about the gross ratings stamped on the plate of the trailer. The GVWR is 8900 lbs. with a front kitchen. The GAWR is 2800 lbs.. I have three axels which by my calculation only comes to 8400 lbs.. What am I missing? Maybe the rating is for each wheel?
Currently I have E rated tires which need to be replaced before snowbirding. Do I need E rated tires or can I go to D rated tires? I am considering Michelin LT 235/75 R15 tires as I have read nothing but horror stories about tire trouble using ST tires.
Paul Ploussard
ST. Charles, MO
WBCCI 6577
Silver_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Star View Post
I own a 1995 Excella 1000 34' Aristream. I am confused (not unusual) about the gross ratings stamped on the plate of the trailer. The GVWR is 8900 lbs. with a front kitchen. The GAWR is 2800 lbs.. I have three axels which by my calculation only comes to 8400 lbs.. What am I missing? Maybe the rating is for each wheel?
Currently I have E rated tires which need to be replaced before snowbirding. Do I need E rated tires or can I go to D rated tires? I am considering Michelin LT 235/75 R15 tires as I have read nothing but horror stories about tire trouble using ST tires.
Paul Ploussard
ST. Charles, MO
WBCCI 6577
GVWR includes the hitch weight.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Star View Post
Paul Ploussard
ST. Charles, MO
WBCCI 6577
The difference I think is your tongue weight.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
For safety, use load range "D" tires.

Typically, trailer tires have greater sidewall construction, so that they are not damaged on tight turns when the trailer has 2 or 3 axles.

Then, tires are like cars.

Which is best?????

We prefer to stick with the Airstream brand tire useage.

Andy
Paul,

In that case Airstream is mounting 16" LT tires on their Eddie Bauer Edition trailer, so it looks like either the ST or LT tire is an option for you, assuming you want to stay with Airstream's usage you would have to upgrade your wheels.

Keep in mind that your 34" trailer distributes that weight across 3 axles. Your weight carried by each tire then is less than some of us having tandem axle trailers. Off hand if you got satisfactory performance from your previous E rated ST's, you should be okay to stay with that type of tire. Technically based on load capacity, the D rated tires should be sufficient also. Again the fact that you have 3 axles to bear that weight makes a difference.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Gvwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
GVWR includes the hitch weight.
This is true, but not all inclusive. The following link may prove helpful.

HowStuffWorks "How Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) Works"
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
When an owner purchases a new trailer they are very much in the “buyer-beware seat. Even the DOT washes it’s hands, and will tell the new owner they - DOT - are not responsible for the weights and measures, if they conform to the vehicle’s labeling and are correct at the time of the sale. So, loading the trailer becomes the owners responsibility. That includes the hitch weight - which is variable, just like the cargo.

According to certification regulations, the vehicle manufacturer has the responsibility to set axle GAWR (s). The GAWR on the trailer’s certification label does not have to match the axle manufacturers certification tag affixed to each axle. Of course axles must be certified to be equal to or greater than the vehicle manufacturer’s certified figure (s).

For trailers 10,000 pounds or less, minimum tire fitment must equal the GAWR. This is an excerpt from CFR 49 571.110: “S4.2.2.1 Except as provided in S4.2.2.2, the sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall not be less than the GAWR of the axle system as specified on the vehicle's certification label required by 49 CFR part 567. If the certification label shows more than one GAWR for the axle system, the sum shall be not less than the GAWR corresponding to the size designation of the tires fitted to the axle.” (S4.2.2.2 describes derating the “P” tire.).

I’ve not found that paragraph actually posted in these threads so there it is. Of course, I’ve not been posting here very long.

Although not required by regulations - in this case - a wise vehicle manufacturer will provide owners a nice margin of safety with a generous amount of load capacity reserves in the Original Equipment tires. If they have not, don’t miss the opportunity to do so with replacement tires. 12-15% is normally suggested by industry professionals. It’s not binding, just suggested.

This is a late post in this thread but it’s germane to the thread and I hope informative to readers seeking this sort of information.

BlackAces
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote