Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Star View Post
I own a 1995 Excella 1000 34' Aristream. I am confused (not unusual) about the gross ratings stamped on the plate of the trailer. The GVWR is 8900 lbs. with a front kitchen. The GAWR is 2800 lbs.. I have three axels which by my calculation only comes to 8400 lbs.. What am I missing? Maybe the rating is for each wheel?
Currently I have E rated tires which need to be replaced before snowbirding. Do I need E rated tires or can I go to D rated tires? I am considering Michelin LT 235/75 R15 tires as I have read nothing but horror stories about tire trouble using ST tires.
Paul Ploussard
ST. Charles, MO
WBCCI 6577
GVWR includes the hitch weight.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Star View Post
I own a 1995 Excella 1000 34' Aristream. I am confused (not unusual) about the gross ratings stamped on the plate of the trailer. The GVWR is 8900 lbs. with a front kitchen. The GAWR is 2800 lbs.. I have three axels which by my calculation only comes to 8400 lbs.. What am I missing? Maybe the rating is for each wheel?
Currently I have E rated tires which need to be replaced before snowbirding. Do I need E rated tires or can I go to D rated tires? I am considering Michelin LT 235/75 R15 tires as I have read nothing but horror stories about tire trouble using ST tires.
Paul Ploussard
ST. Charles, MO
WBCCI 6577
The difference I think is your tongue weight.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
For safety, use load range "D" tires.

Typically, trailer tires have greater sidewall construction, so that they are not damaged on tight turns when the trailer has 2 or 3 axles.

Then, tires are like cars.

Which is best?????

We prefer to stick with the Airstream brand tire useage.

Andy
Paul,

In that case Airstream is mounting 16" LT tires on their Eddie Bauer Edition trailer, so it looks like either the ST or LT tire is an option for you, assuming you want to stay with Airstream's usage you would have to upgrade your wheels.

Keep in mind that your 34" trailer distributes that weight across 3 axles. Your weight carried by each tire then is less than some of us having tandem axle trailers. Off hand if you got satisfactory performance from your previous E rated ST's, you should be okay to stay with that type of tire. Technically based on load capacity, the D rated tires should be sufficient also. Again the fact that you have 3 axles to bear that weight makes a difference.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Gvwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
GVWR includes the hitch weight.
This is true, but not all inclusive. The following link may prove helpful.

HowStuffWorks "How Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) Works"
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
When an owner purchases a new trailer they are very much in the “buyer-beware seat. Even the DOT washes it’s hands, and will tell the new owner they - DOT - are not responsible for the weights and measures, if they conform to the vehicle’s labeling and are correct at the time of the sale. So, loading the trailer becomes the owners responsibility. That includes the hitch weight - which is variable, just like the cargo.

According to certification regulations, the vehicle manufacturer has the responsibility to set axle GAWR (s). The GAWR on the trailer’s certification label does not have to match the axle manufacturers certification tag affixed to each axle. Of course axles must be certified to be equal to or greater than the vehicle manufacturer’s certified figure (s).

For trailers 10,000 pounds or less, minimum tire fitment must equal the GAWR. This is an excerpt from CFR 49 571.110: “S4.2.2.1 Except as provided in S4.2.2.2, the sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall not be less than the GAWR of the axle system as specified on the vehicle's certification label required by 49 CFR part 567. If the certification label shows more than one GAWR for the axle system, the sum shall be not less than the GAWR corresponding to the size designation of the tires fitted to the axle.” (S4.2.2.2 describes derating the “P” tire.).

I’ve not found that paragraph actually posted in these threads so there it is. Of course, I’ve not been posting here very long.

Although not required by regulations - in this case - a wise vehicle manufacturer will provide owners a nice margin of safety with a generous amount of load capacity reserves in the Original Equipment tires. If they have not, don’t miss the opportunity to do so with replacement tires. 12-15% is normally suggested by industry professionals. It’s not binding, just suggested.

This is a late post in this thread but it’s germane to the thread and I hope informative to readers seeking this sort of information.

BlackAces

BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote