Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Fort McMurray , Canada
Which brand of tires should we get?

We will be replacing the tires on our 89 Limited in the spring and i am looking for some advice as to which brand people have had luck with. We currently have Goodyear's on ours, but 3 of the six have slow leaks, and everytime we leave the trailer for more than a week I have to pump them up before i can move the trailer. Besides the slow leaks, i am not sure how many kilometers are on the tires as we bought the trailer used in March.
a-wanabbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Do you know the leaks are coming from the tires?

Not the valve stems or rims.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-07-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
I suggest that you jack the trailer up or take it to your local super Wal Mart. I had my tires done and they are definately the least expensive. They can put it in a water bath and observe for leaks. You can do this yourself if you have a large enough basin of water or a swimming pool.

New Goodyear Marathon tires can be had a www.tirerack.com under trailer tires. Get the D rated or better. I could not find a better price including shipping. Had them mounted, balanced, new valve stem and disposal for 10.95 plus tax.

Good luck.

Joe
Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Call ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by defelice
I suggest that you jack the trailer up or take it to your local super Wal Mart.
Call your Wal-Mart if you go this route. None of our local Wally-Worlds will have anything to do with a trailer. This may be (I hope) a local thing, kind of like the free parking there.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #5
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi overlander63--I have talked to several WalMarts about putting on trailer tires. Half of them will remount directly on the trailer. The others will not, but all will mount and balance trailer tires if you bring in the rims. I usually purchase 4 new tires at a time. First I remove the spare, which has the best leftover tire from the last tire change. Then I remove one wheel from one side, and let the trailer stand on one wheel (the best tire which will be the new spare. Then I jack the other side, block under the frame, and remove both wheels. Bring 4 wheels to WalMart and have new tires mounted & balanced. Back to the trailer, mount 2 on the side with no wheels, mount the other 2 on the other side, and put the left over old tire in the spare rack. I like to mount my own wheels as it gives me a chance to grease bearings (only grease bearings when I mount new tires every 6 years), check and adjust brakes, and torque the wheels nuts. These things I do myself, so I know they are done correctly. Haven't had a tire, wheel, bearing, or brake problem in 18-years. Works for me.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:08 AM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by defelice
I suggest that you jack the trailer up or take it to your local super Wal Mart. I had my tires done and they are definately the least expensive. They can put it in a water bath and observe for leaks. You can do this yourself if you have a large enough basin of water or a swimming pool.
Joe
This can also be done on the trailer or at the location of the trailer with the wheel off using a garden hose and some liquid soap.

Look for the bubbles!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
We also bought Marathons from tirerack. We took the new tires and old tires on rims to a local tire shop to have them put on. For a minimal charge they also recycled the old rotting tires.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote