Old 11-25-2002, 01:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Another view

Vertical pieces are 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle. Frame is 1" square tubing with a flat gusset where tubes join. Retainers at side are 1/2" rod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hanger_3.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	922  

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 01:42 PM   #16
hex

Arrow

John in your picture of the unit hanging under the trailer. Is that where it would hang with tire on it? or does the thing raise and place the tire up between the frame beams?

The 1974 data in the Service Manual makes it sound like the upper plane of the stored tire would be up against the bottom of the plywood floor. they reccomend a sheet of metal mounted to the plywood and sealed to prevent moisture to plywood.

Here is a thread at another forum that concerns spare tires.

http://www.airstreamcentral.com/foru...eneral+Message

Can't make the link work but its over at Airstream Central General Forum under Spare Tire.

Here is the jist of it:

Quote:
Question:

Les how much trouble was it to remove the tire from underbelly?
Some of the drop downs on pickup trux are real mankillers. Putting the flat or the repaired tire back is double misery.
Also if one chooses to leave the carrier empty (and say throw the flat in the back of truck) what holds it up, and how secure is it without the tire?
Anything bouncing along or passing under the length of the trailer seems to destroy much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Answer:

Taking the tire down wasn't bad, youn have to work it over one of the retainer posts so it requires a little muscle. Take the spare down before you jack the trailer because there is not much room to work with, and if jacking causes the toung to be closer to the ground there won't be enough room. When I had my flat I tossed the spare in the tow vehicle until I had it replaced. When I had all tires replaced the tire company reinstalled the spare so I didn't have to put it back. I suspect it would be more difficult than taking it out though.

There is a latch that holds the bracket in place and I had no trouble traveling without a spare in the rack.

Hope this helps. Les

Old 11-25-2002, 01:55 PM   #17
hex

Well after about 6 edits trying to get the link in order, I now notice I have no edit button on the prior post
What the H!
Old 11-25-2002, 02:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Hanger

Yes. I think that the top of the tire will be fairly near the floor of the trailer. The frame is only about 4" deep. If it hangs too low for my taste, I can shorten and redrill the vertical angles to raise it up a bit. It is the specified holder for this trailer and I hope A/S knows what they are doing.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-25-2002, 02:53 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

My Tradewind has a recess under the front for the spare to go into while on the mounting frame. I will post a picture for you later.

B
Old 11-25-2002, 03:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Hex ~

Scroll to the right by using the bar at the bottom of your screen...the edit button is there it's just out of view on your monitor.

I'm not sure why that post is wider than most...but, the button's there, at least on my screen. Your URL line seems like it might be causing some of your problem...you need a "]" after "URL" and before "http" maybe the length of that line is setting the width for your post. That should solve your "link" problem and it might solve the width problem too...

Good luck ~

Shari
Old 11-25-2002, 04:26 PM   #21
hex

Thanks Shari. You are right (as usual . Link now highligts but still goes to nowhere. . Maybe that's where Airstream central is...
I have never seen such a rediculously long URL. But the thing automatically shortens when post appears. Still goes nowhere. So much for that exersize.

Now to John: You know for some inane reason I have just assumed that the frame channels were about 6 inches. However I guess the tongues are the same dimension as the frames (This'll be alot easier when I actually pickup my Airstream).
Speaking of frames and since your unit does not have the underbelly, the next time you are under there could you look to see if the chassis frame is reinforced above the axles. Perhaps with a piece of flat stock welded along one side of the channel? Of course yours being a current and mine a vintage could negate your findings relative to my 1974.

BTW any chance you live at Woodcreek in Wimberly? or do you know if there are any RV facilities thereabouts?
Old 11-25-2002, 04:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Wimberley

I live about half way between Austin and Wimberley; however, we recently had a rally in Wimberley and I have stayed there on other occasions.

Our rally was at Woodcreek Resort. Fairly out of town and lots of trees with good space between full-hookup sites. Nice folks. You will swear you are on the wrong street, but you get to it eventually. Jacob's Well is on the property. I would go back there again.

There are also at least two RV parks in town. One, very close in has nice paved, but close, sites. The other, down by the creek, is more rustic.

I'll take a look next time I'm out at the storage place.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-25-2002, 04:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Glad I could help Hex...at least on some account!

Shari
Old 11-25-2002, 05:27 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Photo

Here is a picture of my spare mount.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2002, 10:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I am still struggling with the spare tire issue on my Minuet and have a few observations and ideas. Question for Pahaska, that carrier looks to be quite low, do you have any clearance issues?
I agree that the pickup truck style carriers from the past can be a real P.I.T.A., I pinched the #@!* out of myself on the one on my F-250 a few years back. The newer crank style ones are definitely the way to go but you would probably need to get a salvage yard unit and do a bit of mod work. I guess I am leaning towards putting it underneath, just hate to put a hole under there.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Clearance

I think the grass in the photos makes it look a lot lower than it really is. There is plenty of ground clearance.

I towed to a rally with the empty carrier installed and had no problems with clearance, even up and down my precipitous driveway. I consider my driveway the acid test.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-27-2002, 11:00 PM   #27
hex

Exclamation Beware

Chas somewhere on the forum here I read that at least some Argosys have a sandwich floor. No wood. Foam twixt 2 sheets of aluminum, I believe it said. I have no idea if there is a thin basement and then another belly skin below the sandwich. But I would darn sure find out before cutting into anything under an Argosy.
Your spare might end up under the dinette...literally.