Old 11-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Question Where can I buy a TPM system

Why can I buy a tire pressure monitor for my AS? How much do they cost?

Gary

Old 11-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Tpms

Gary,

I just ordered a portable TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) this week, have not got it yet. $220 or so, four sensors and a LED monitor that keeps track of pressure and temp. I'm hoping to have it next week for a trip.

http://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We've had PressurePros since Dec07 and would not be without them. They won't stop a tire problem from devleopeing but you have constant access to your tire pressure, even while driving. They will help you detect a small problem before it becomes a BIG problem and they will give you time to get off the road and deal with pressure loss before it becomes worse and you lose not only the tire but everything in its way. It will also help save you from potential costly damage to your rig if you have blowout and don't know it (which can happen on tandem axle trailers...not so much on single axles! (Ask me how I know this!) TPM systems are not cheap but a lot less than the potential havoc a blowout can bring you, and well worth the peace of mind.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
We use the Truck Monitor System.....TMS,,,,,one of several great monitoring systems. Cost is about 200.00, but the ability to monitor tire temperature and pressure while towing is "priceless" for peace of mind. Saves a step in departure....just inspect the central monitor on the dashboard.

Word of caution: Make certain that you do NOT have soft stemmed valves. We changed to hard stems.... had 3 valve stem failures on tires under a year of age.....probably--but not absolutely certain --that the failures could have been related to the soft stems and the monitor devices. TMS's sensors weigh less that an ounce...I believe only 28 grams.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
Saves a step in departure....just inspect the central monitor on the dashboard.
I very much agree that the TPMS adds a lot to peace of mind when on the road, but not sure about it "Saving steps" in my case.

I still believe in a walk around the truck and trailer to do a visual check of everything including hitch, bikes, lights, etc., ..... and tires ..... before departing each morning, and I almost always do a repeat "walk around" at rest stops, gas stops en route. Its just a habit I have gotten into over the years.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Correction: the company is TST Truck Systems Technologies. Cost: $299 for six valve sensors and a POV monitor. ( again, don't make the same mistake I did....change to metal valve stems.)

Ps. I always perform the "golden circle" at least two times, and my wife once, before we leave. But a visual inspection of the tires does not reflect the PSI....only cracks etc. I completely agree with you, Wingeezer. I do the same with each stop.

The "step" saved is unscrewing each valve cap and testing the individual tire PSI. I can check each tire pressure with the POV monitor in about 5 seconds.

When towing and the tire pressure and / or temps elevate in hot weather, I pull off and take a break, check the individual tires, and the axle hubs, etc.

I am now dependent on this system!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
The "step" saved is unscrewing each valve cap and testing the individual tire PSI. I can check each tire pressure with the POV monitor in about 5 seconds.

Well, you are one step better than me! I always to check tire pressures with a gauge before we set out on a trip but seldom en route.

Matter of fact, although I haven't gotten around to checking things in detail yet, I have found that my TPMS takes quite a while to start registering results from the the monitors - could be at least a few minutes I think.

I know this because I manually operate the monitor attempting to check the tires as we start to travel, and for quite some time, the monitor is still displaying higher tire temperatures from the pevious day's trip. Eventually all works again.

Apart from the automatic alarm feature, I find it re-assuring now and then on the trip to cycle through all wheels checking pressures and temperatures!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Well, you are one step better than me! I always to check tire pressures with a gauge before we set out on a trip but seldom en route.

Matter of fact, although I haven't gotten around to checking things in detail yet, I have found that my TPMS takes quite a while to start registering results from the the monitors - could be at least a few minutes I think.

I know this because I manually operate the monitor attempting to check the tires as we start to travel, and for quite some time, the monitor is still displaying higher tire temperatures from the pevious day's trip. Eventually all works again.

Apart from the automatic alarm feature, I find it re-assuring now and then on the trip to cycle through all wheels checking pressures and temperatures!

Brian.
I am not sure which system you have, but the signal is not continuous. That would run the batt down quickly. On mine the signal is sent every few minutes. If pressure drops 2 psi in less than a few seconds, an alarm goes off. If it sees 25% less than the set pressure, alarm goes off. If it doesn't see a signal in 12 minutes, alarm goes off. If it sees 10% (I think) over set pressure, alarm goes off.

Point is...it can take several minutes after plugging in or mounting sensor to see a reading. However, if your main unit is plugged in and you are filling tires, a signal is sent immediately upon screwing on the sensor. So if you are adjusting your pressure, you can do it without waiting.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
I am confused.

With our system, the reading is continuous, rotating thru all four AS tires every few seconds. The monitor stays plugged into the dash and monitors the pressures and temps. all night, so all I have to do in the morning is scroll thru the tires manually on the main monitor and I have my readings.

If you have to wait in the morning for the monitor to activate, either the current to the monitor is interrupted when the engine is off (?) or the signal may be weak from the valve sensors to the monitor? Any other ideas?

When on the road it certainly is reassuring to see those readings in the "normal" range. But especially nice to keep a watchful eye on the tire temps.

Zigi
Old 11-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs
...With our system, the reading is continuous, rotating thru all four AS tires every few seconds. The monitor stays plugged into the dash and monitors the pressures and temps. all night, so all I have to do in the morning is scroll thru the tires manually on the main monitor and I have my readings...
There are a number of TPM manufacturers. All the ones I am familiar with use a small battery for each sensor/transmitter. To obtain acceptable battery life, they only transmit at periodic intervals unless there's a reportable change per their programming. A receiver/display may automatically or manually scroll through the readings from each sensor, but it is most likely showing the last received results stored in its memory. So while the readings are continuously displayed, it doesn't mean the data is updated continuously updated. The value seen may be 10 minutes old and that should be sufficient. If there is a slow leak, you may notice that when comparing the readings, else it should flag an alert when it drops a given amount below its set point. A rapid loss should also flag an immediate alert, likely with an audible alarm in addition.

Mine suggests that if you desire an earlier alert for a slow leak to adjust the set point above your normal pressure setting. e.g. you carry 60 PSI and the alert occurs at 50 PSI, but you want to know when it drops to 55, change the set point to 65.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
The system I use ( TST) finds power when directly plugged into to the cig. lighter. "Always on" unless I turn it off manually- or unplug it.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose View Post
There are a number of TPM manufacturers. All the ones I am familiar with use a small battery for each sensor/transmitter. To obtain acceptable battery life, they only transmit at periodic intervals unless there's a reportable change per their programming. A receiver/display may automatically or manually scroll through the readings from each sensor, but it is most likely showing the last received results stored in its memory. So while the readings are continuously displayed, it doesn't mean the data is updated continuously updated. The value seen may be 10 minutes old and that should be sufficient. If there is a slow leak, you may notice that when comparing the readings, else it should flag an alert when it drops a given amount below its set point. A rapid loss should also flag an immediate alert, likely with an audible alarm in addition.

Mine suggests that if you desire an earlier alert for a slow leak to adjust the set point above your normal pressure setting. e.g. you carry 60 PSI and the alert occurs at 50 PSI, but you want to know when it drops to 55, change the set point to 65.
Exactly correct.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
The TST system monitors the psi and temp every TWO minutes. The sensor batteries on the 510 series, weigh 23 grams, last 5-7 years!

FAQs
Old 08-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Canfield , Ohio
Since the subject of "steel" valve stems came up, what stem will fit the new aluminum wheels (2017)? There are also two kinds of steel valves; one is all steel and uses an outside nut to tighten it down. I am wondering if this will work with the AS rims I have. Also there is another type considered a "hard" valve. It has the rubber mount, but uses a brass stem and will handle 100 psi.

Anyone have a link to the valves I need? I want to add a monitoring system with the outside monitors on the valve stem.