Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-03-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
 
ArtStream's Avatar
 
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,002
Images: 65
Blog Entries: 1
When a good tire goes bad

I checked the INSIDE of my Michelin tires while repacking my bearings. This is what I found (not my tires, mine were made 08/07)

LTX-MS, 18 months old, 25,000 miles, made in Canada

Pulled all 4 and took them to Discount Tire. Michelin replaced 100%, Discount Tire covered mounting, bal, etc. Forum members, CHECK YOUR SIDEWALLS!


__________________

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
More than one rivet loose
 
thecatsandi's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,754
Michael,
Good Find and horray for Michelin.
Just before heading east last fall I had my tires pulled and rotated. WE found one about to fail. A bubble had started on the inside of one the left side tires. The spare was mounted and Was on my way. Had we not done this I suspect the tire would have failed in the accident and the results would have been much different.
I have a much harder time switching to LT tires due to my Disc brakes. They are larger in diameter than the drum brakes.
__________________

__________________
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
HowieE's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,809
Images: 12
Michelle

Please clarify. The diameter of the brakes should only effect the rim shape, the tires being beyond that.

If you already have 16 in. rims LT225 75 16 should work.
__________________
WBCCI 12156 AIR 3144 WACHUNG TAC NJ6
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
HowieE's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,809
Images: 12
Mike

I took a look. My Michelins LT 225 75 16 E were made in Germany and the sidewalls look brand new. They are at least 2 years old and have over 25,000 on them.
__________________
WBCCI 12156 AIR 3144 WACHUNG TAC NJ6
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
More than one rivet loose
 
thecatsandi's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Michelle

Please clarify. The diameter of the brakes should only effect the rim shape, the tires being beyond that.

If you already have 16 in. rims LT225 75 16 should work.
Howie,
225/75R15 Load Range D
My understanding is from those who have done it. the 16 in rims have different setback from the hub. I would have to research on the forums and the net to find out which 16 inch rim would work. Additionally I would have to find load range E LT tires with a lower profile. Say a 65 or maybe 55.

I am on my third maybe forth set of Marathons. I've lost track. I keep them inflated to max pressure. Wear pattern is good and the temps are staying low.
__________________
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
HowieE's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,809
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Howie,
225/75R15 Load Range D
My understanding is from those who have done it. the 16 in rims have different setback from the hub. I would have to research on the forums and the net to find out which 16 inch rim would work. Additionally I would have to find load range E LT tires with a lower profile. Say a 65 or maybe 55.

I am on my third maybe forth set of Marathons. I've lost track. I keep them inflated to max pressure. Wear pattern is good and the temps are staying low.
You might get in touch with
16" ALUMINUM TRAILER WHEELS FOR FIFTH WHEEL TRAVEL TRAILERS, TOWABLE RV'S, CARGO TRAILERS, HORSE TRAILERS, LIVESTOCK TRAILERS AND MORE

They had information on the offset when I changed, Mine have a -8mm offset but are on drum brakes. They are series #4 and are rated at 3960 lbs.

As for carrying MAX pressure in your tires please check that out against
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf

I suspect you are overinflated and just hammering the trailer.
__________________
WBCCI 12156 AIR 3144 WACHUNG TAC NJ6
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose
 
thecatsandi's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
You might get in touch with
16" ALUMINUM TRAILER WHEELS FOR FIFTH WHEEL TRAVEL TRAILERS, TOWABLE RV'S, CARGO TRAILERS, HORSE TRAILERS, LIVESTOCK TRAILERS AND MORE

They had information on the offset when I changed, Mine have a -8mm offset but are on drum brakes. They are series #4 and are rated at 3960 lbs.

As for carrying MAX pressure in your tires please check that out against
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf

I suspect you are overinflated and just hammering the trailer.
Thanks for the wheel/rim info.
Factory says 65 PSI. I have tried 60PSI. I have tried lower pressures and the tires are wearing on the outsides and not in the middle. Only solution I know of, bump up the pressure.
__________________

__________________
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cracking, michelin, sidewalls, tires


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is This Good, Or Is This Bad?? MuthaMustard Buyer Guidelines 7 05-25-2008 10:55 AM
The Bad , The Good and the Ugly- 2006 Classic thecatsandi 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths) 4 10-19-2006 04:56 PM
Tires good or bad? 72 Excella500 Tires 14 06-12-2004 04:16 PM
Take the good with the bad. Katt Doors & Locks 7 04-05-2004 11:32 PM
The good and bad TRAPEZE Airstream Motorhome Forums 1 01-01-2003 07:21 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.