Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I like the traditional wheel chocks. You NEED 2 of them. Most of the time I only use one if the site is relatively level but if there is any real incline put on two. They take away any rocking of the trailer, they can be locked and are quick and simple to install/remove - no tools needed. I had the Hensley (BAL) chock but sold them after getting these.
They are manufactured by a family in Angola, Indiana. Her name is Deb and you can email her at parttimerunner1@aol.com. They come in various sizes. I just bought another pair back in June for $55 each in the largest size.
I have used only one of these (not both sides) since 1993. Very durable and works well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
crispboy....i am totally confused...how do those work??
I'm not crispboy, so apologies for stealing his thunder, but as an engineer I can't resist anwering "how" questions…

The operating mechanism appears to be a cam-action lever and a turnbuckle. Gross adjustment with the turnbuckle, so the chock is just loose enough to get on and off, then use the lever to tighten. If the side with the threaded rod faces up, then lever up = loose, lever down = tight. Which is the way I'd use it; that works better ergonomically than the other way around.

As long as they're always used on the same trailer, you'd only need to adjust the turnbuckle once. Operation is quick and easy thereafter, just a flick of the lever to install or remove.

I can't tell from the photo, but if there's an eye in that tab sticking up by the lever handle on the left side of the photo, it would be possible to use a padlock to lock them closed, so it would work like booting the tires, too, for storage.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Protag is exactly correct....and yes mine does have provisions for a padlock.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Protag is exactly correct....
Just goes to show, there's a first time for everything!
Old 07-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
crispboy....i am totally confused...how do those work?? ill use cheapey ones for a while....money tree runnin' low
And to close the loop, since Protagonist explained how the mechanism works... they go between the tires on a tandem-axle trailer in similar fashion to the Hensley chocks in post #16 and to X-Chocks or the knock-off X-chocks I have.

I've been happy with mine, though I paid considerably less than what they cost at Camping World at the moment.

Deluxe Chock & Lock twin pack

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Protagonist is exactly correct in the way the mechanism works.
The only thing different is that I sometime adjust the nut a little differently depending on the severity of the slope.
They do come in different sizes. The manufacturer will want to know the distance between the tandem wheels. The measurement for our trailer was approximately 5 inches.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I use the less expensive ones from Hensley (two) and have been happy with them.

In our case, a big plus compared to standard chocks under the tire is that when we go to pick up our trailer from storage in February here in the frozen north, they are not frozen to the ground! I have experienced that with the plastic chocks and pretty much had to destroy them, knocking them out from under the wheels with the back side of an axe!

About the only concern I have with the Hensley ones is that they are effectively scissors jacks on their side and would be capable of putting considerable force trying to push the two wheels apart.

I have wondered if it would be possible to actually misalign the axles by cranking them up too hard - so I try not to do that!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I have one of those now, since the second has disappeared. I was looking for a source online just yesterday. I used them on my 73, 78, and 99 model Airstreams, but the one I have will not work on my Safari. The wheels on the Safari are to far apart at the tightest adjustment. Thanks for the email address! Does anyone know if they come in different sizes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I like the traditional wheel chocks. You NEED 2 of them. Most of the time I only use one if the site is relatively level but if there is any real incline put on two. They take away any rocking of the trailer, they can be locked and are quick and simple to install/remove - no tools needed. I had the Hensley (BAL) chock but sold them after getting these.
They are manufactured by a family in Angola, Indiana. Her name is Deb and you can email her at parttimerunner1@aol.com. They come in various sizes. I just bought another pair back in June for $55 each in the largest size.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I use chocks under each wheel to keep the trailer from moving fore/aft; one side chocked will allow it to swing dangerously sideways when unhitching if on a slope.

For longer stays I add the expandable chock/stabilizers between the tires which does a great deal to stabilize the trailer (in addition to the drop down stabilizers). The danger of the expandables without wheel chocks, is if on a slope during the night (for example) and you lost air pressure in a tire, that expandable chock would be loose and the trailer could swing sideways.

So the chocks under the wheel is necessary, the expandable chocks/stabilizers between tires is for comfort as well. I like both.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #30
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
I use a rotochok for each side. From my experience, especially when on inclines or declines, there would be lateral movement from the trailer, even if slight, during unhitching, and possibly during hitching. Chocks on both sides keeps everything in place. Just my experience.

2023 Ford F350 Lariat 7.3/4.30 FX4 CCLB
2010 Classic Limited 30
ProPride P3-1400
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I use semi truck trailer wheel chocks rubber w/chain connecting they are left over from trucking bus. If I had to pur. would probably be ones posted by Crispyboy
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmurr View Post
I have the chocks from Hensley...
Right now they are $27.50 off at $35 each Here is the link.

They are fast and easy to use...no more mud and uneven ground surfaces to deal with, very secure....by the way I use 2 of them
Thanks for that - ordered two.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #33
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Just goes to show, there's a first time for everything!
As my Poppa is fond of saying, "Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while."

My reply was "yessir, but he still has to root around a bit!"

And that's how I got these new teeth.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Like A W Warn, I have two of those but they don't fit and the nuts are corroded so badly it is like they are welded. Can't adjust them. Thanks for the link though. Will contact those folks. They used to make an extender that bolted to the pad to make them fit. Mine came with my A/S when I bought it many moons ago.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne View Post
Like A W Warn, I have two of those but they don't fit and the nuts are corroded so badly it is like they are welded. Can't adjust them. Thanks for the link though. Will contact those folks. They used to make an extender that bolted to the pad to make them fit. Mine came with my A/S when I bought it many moons ago.
I dropped Deb an email this morning. She already responded. She said they have sizes to fit different wheel spacing, so I have to wait a day or to two for measurement. I will be getting at least one new one, maybe two. I have my wheels off doing a wheel bearing grease job right now.

If I already had two, like you do, I think I would re-work them. I have been thinking about adding a piece of tire tread to widen the friction points. I think a half inch added on each side would make mine work.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I went to Rotochocks about a year ago and never looked back. They are byfar the best investment I've made for my AS in a long time. Not only do they work super easy, but you can put a padlock on them for added security. I have 2 but only lock one. I definately recommend them, and buy a pair.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Alan...emailed her as well. Sent her my tire measurements. Waiting for a price. Got some thinking to do on what way to go. Those or rotochoks. I really like the idea of supporting a family owned business that owns an Airstream.

Tom
Old 07-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Are the rotochoks for stabilization to prevent rocking or is the purpose to keep the AS from moving backwards or forwards.

Thanks

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Both for my purpose.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
A couple of people have mentioned less expensive options.

Here are a couple that I spotted at the first Branson rally back in 2007: