Old 07-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I use BAL X-chocks on each set of wheels. Easy to use and store. They work great.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
I have the chocks from Hensley...
Right now they are $27.50 off at $35 each Here is the link.
Ultimate Tire Chocks
They are fast and easy to use...no more mud and uneven ground surfaces to deal with, very secure....by the way I use 2 of them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hensley.jpg
Views:	1222
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	190694  

Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I have used Rotochoks for several years and been very happy with them. I use two pairs, one for each side. Quick to put on and remove. I can't say the eliminate trailer rock but sure seem to reduce it. I only use one chock when in storage.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
The SOB that I owned had quite a bit of movement when set up. The stabilizers were down but it still rocked a bit when set up. I looked into getting some roto chocks but never did. My cousin has an Arctic Fox that is the most solid feeling trailer I have ever spent time in. My Airstream is somewhere in between.

I think this has everything to do with the construction and the weight of the trailer. The Arctic Fox is heavy when compared to my 25FB and it has a very sturdy frame under it.

I use the yellow plastic chocks and am happy with them. They are light, inexpensive and easy to store. Can't see spending money to fix a problem that really isn't a problem for us. I have heard that the ones you are looking at do add a degree of stability when you are set up. I sort of liked the Hensley ones posted earlier.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I like the traditional wheel chocks. You NEED 2 of them. Most of the time I only use one if the site is relatively level but if there is any real incline put on two. They take away any rocking of the trailer, they can be locked and are quick and simple to install/remove - no tools needed. I had the Hensley (BAL) chock but sold them after getting these.
They are manufactured by a family in Angola, Indiana. Her name is Deb and you can email her at parttimerunner1@aol.com. They come in various sizes. I just bought another pair back in June for $55 each in the largest size.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
crispboy....i am totally confused...how do those work?? ill use cheapey ones for a while....money tree runnin' low

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I like the traditional wheel chocks. You NEED 2 of them. Most of the time I only use one if the site is relatively level but if there is any real incline put on two. They take away any rocking of the trailer, they can be locked and are quick and simple to install/remove - no tools needed. I had the Hensley (BAL) chock but sold them after getting these.
They are manufactured by a family in Angola, Indiana. Her name is Deb and you can email her at parttimerunner1@aol.com. They come in various sizes. I just bought another pair back in June for $55 each in the largest size.
I have used only one of these (not both sides) since 1993. Very durable and works well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
crispboy....i am totally confused...how do those work??
I'm not crispboy, so apologies for stealing his thunder, but as an engineer I can't resist anwering "how" questions…

The operating mechanism appears to be a cam-action lever and a turnbuckle. Gross adjustment with the turnbuckle, so the chock is just loose enough to get on and off, then use the lever to tighten. If the side with the threaded rod faces up, then lever up = loose, lever down = tight. Which is the way I'd use it; that works better ergonomically than the other way around.

As long as they're always used on the same trailer, you'd only need to adjust the turnbuckle once. Operation is quick and easy thereafter, just a flick of the lever to install or remove.

I can't tell from the photo, but if there's an eye in that tab sticking up by the lever handle on the left side of the photo, it would be possible to use a padlock to lock them closed, so it would work like booting the tires, too, for storage.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Protag is exactly correct....and yes mine does have provisions for a padlock.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Protag is exactly correct....
Just goes to show, there's a first time for everything!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
crispboy....i am totally confused...how do those work?? ill use cheapey ones for a while....money tree runnin' low
And to close the loop, since Protagonist explained how the mechanism works... they go between the tires on a tandem-axle trailer in similar fashion to the Hensley chocks in post #16 and to X-Chocks or the knock-off X-chocks I have.

I've been happy with mine, though I paid considerably less than what they cost at Camping World at the moment.

Deluxe Chock & Lock twin pack

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Protagonist is exactly correct in the way the mechanism works.
The only thing different is that I sometime adjust the nut a little differently depending on the severity of the slope.
They do come in different sizes. The manufacturer will want to know the distance between the tandem wheels. The measurement for our trailer was approximately 5 inches.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I use the less expensive ones from Hensley (two) and have been happy with them.

In our case, a big plus compared to standard chocks under the tire is that when we go to pick up our trailer from storage in February here in the frozen north, they are not frozen to the ground! I have experienced that with the plastic chocks and pretty much had to destroy them, knocking them out from under the wheels with the back side of an axe!

About the only concern I have with the Hensley ones is that they are effectively scissors jacks on their side and would be capable of putting considerable force trying to push the two wheels apart.

I have wondered if it would be possible to actually misalign the axles by cranking them up too hard - so I try not to do that!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I have one of those now, since the second has disappeared. I was looking for a source online just yesterday. I used them on my 73, 78, and 99 model Airstreams, but the one I have will not work on my Safari. The wheels on the Safari are to far apart at the tightest adjustment. Thanks for the email address! Does anyone know if they come in different sizes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post