Old 05-17-2005, 03:09 PM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B
This is a very interesting product . Does anyone have an idea on what the cost is per tire for a bag the right size for our trailer tires? I am buying new tires soon and this would make balancing the entire hub and tire assembly easy.
Mike B
I used to sell a similar product, we called it Sand Balancing. A bag of the special sand was placed inside the tire, the previously mentioned special valve was placed in the stem, and the tire was inflated. After running the vehicle for a few miles, the bag of sand broke open, and leveled itself inside the tire. This is supposed to work very well, unless you have bad kingpins or bad ball joints.

Cost: about $16/tire.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:11 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
I was wondering if the beads eiliminate the need for wheel weights?
Are they designed to just remove any of the loaded tire anomalies?
Can they be reused? I know, at that price who would care!
Lou, to answer your questions, in order:
1-YES
2-YES
3-NO
4-Not me!

Old 05-17-2005, 03:35 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
Robbins , California
Balancing beads

Lou,
The beads can be used instead of having wheel weights installed. You probably could use them even with a tire that had been already balanced to help out a drum imbalance but I think you would have a hard time balancing a tire that had the beads in them first.
I did not have my tires balanced first and did not use the screen in the stems either.
Mike B
1996 F350 CC PSD
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeredith
I'm going to try this on my 77 Trade Wind in the next few weeks and will post my observations.

I just picked up the new Airstream two weeks ago. It's been stored for years so I will be starting clean with new bearings, brake job, new tires and these beads. Probably new shocks too.

Two of the tires have the diagonal tire wear as described on the counteract web site (link in original post) so I'm guessing I have a balance problem and maybe a shock problem. Should be a good test.

If you have any non-scientific test you'd like me to run, post them and I'll do my best to accomodate. I remember reading the "glass of water" test on a related thread...

On a related note, I'm a trailer newbie so I don't have a trustwothy favorite shop to take her to. If any of you have a shop recommendation (brakes, bearings and such) in the Seattle/Tacoma/Everett area I'd greatly appreciate it! There are literally hundreds of RV dealers here in the NW but I have no notion of their shop credibility.

-jm
Go to the Dexter Axel http://www.dexteraxle.com/ site and find a shop in their dealer list. Most of the trailer places will also work on RV's. Whereever you take it review the jacking procedure with them, No Forklifts Please....How's the axel?
Old 05-18-2005, 12:05 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
So far sounds good

OK sounds good, I am ready to take the plunge. Any one have a reason why this may not work? Or have a bad situation with these bead systems?
Old 05-18-2005, 12:53 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Rivet Dyna beads

Found one other product that looks good called dyna beads, they are ceramic sphears.

Also was wondering if you used a fix a flat product in an emergency situation wouldn't that creat a sticky caked up mess in the tire and throw it out of balance? Or is that just a small price to pay in an emergency till you can get it properly repaird?

www.innovativebalancing.com
Old 06-04-2010, 12:16 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Littleton , Colorado
None of these links seem to be working for me tonight.

Does anybody have current links or are these all out of business?

I was actually looking for another product that I had seen that somebody had installed.
The product was a metal plate assembly that is mounted behind the wheel and the assembly has a tubular track in the outer dimension in which some ball bearings are spinning.

Does that sound familiair? Please provide information and your experiences.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Try www.centramatics.com or www.balancemasters.com

Cheers, Dan
Old 06-04-2010, 06:53 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I use the Dyna Beads on several cars as well as the trailer. They work great and are inexpensive. I recommend having the wheel balanced with weights first, then adding the beads as a secondary method to pick up any rotational assembly issues.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
The Beads/Ball Bearings type of wheel balance was initially designed for semis about 15 years ago was a good idea in its thought but after a few years of use they cause more problems than what they are worth. Some of the problems experienced by me and others was rust, moisture, debries, getting inside the tubes and stopping the bearings/beads from moving and causing a major off balance in the wheels. I to date have not heard of anything serious being caused because of this issue other than the wabble caused in the tire and the unusual wear due to it. Those tire suppliers who supported them in the beginning now advise to not use them.
But again I had experience with them on a semi, not a smaller vehicle like a pickup or travel trailer, but I would suggest you find a tire dealer who has had experience with these and see what they say.

Sarge
Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #25
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
carlvs,

Some of the link issues are because the thread was started 7 years ago and ended 5 years ago. A lot of stuff has changed since then. Or gone out of business.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
carlvs,

Some of the link issues are because the thread was started 7 years ago and ended 5 years ago. A lot of stuff has changed since then. Or gone out of business.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
That is because of the reason I mentioned in my above post. I am even surprised that these things can be found or sold. You will never ever ever see one of these on any vehicle of mine again, after all if the product can not withstand the rigors of use and weather I have no need for it to cause me more problems.

Sarge
Old 06-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I had EQUAL tire powder installed in 2 trailer tires in 2003. I assume this is a product similiar to Dyna beads. 3 oz. per tire, no other balancing was used. Both tires wore well. When dismounted a few weeks ago everything was dry and as it should be inside. No strange wear and still 7/32 tread after 30 k miles. (11/32 new)
I have moved these tires to utility trailer duty based on age, but the product worked well.
Obviously the use of fix a flat and similiar is not an option with this kind of balancing. I do carry a 12 volt compressor and have plugged tires on the road with the "string type" repair kit and suspect that would not capture enough material to cause a problem
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I had EQUAL tire powder installed in 2 trailer tires in 2003. I assume this is a product similiar to Dyna beads. 3 oz. per tire, no other balancing was used. Both tires wore well. When dismounted a few weeks ago everything was dry and as it should be inside. No strange wear and still 7/32 tread after 30 k miles. (11/32 new)
I have moved these tires to utility trailer duty based on age, but the product worked well.
Obviously the use of fix a flat and similiar is not an option with this kind of balancing. I do carry a 12 volt compressor and have plugged tires on the road with the "string type" repair kit and suspect that would not capture enough material to cause a problem
Thats the way to do it Rick,, I do not use fix a flat anymore because many tire places will not touch a tire that has that in it. I carry the same thing you do as far as a patch plug and an air pump which is really the best way to do it.

Sarge