Old 06-18-2006, 11:28 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I say that the hot temperature ,excess of 100 degrees and the tires on the asphault ,70 mph ,old marathons possibly ,noted for blow outs ,big heavy
trailer all contribute to tire failure .Even max inflation may not save the tire
as heat itself causes lots of tire failures ,being out in that kind of heat traveling has its share of risks .

Scott

Old 06-19-2006, 02:17 PM   #30
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
Action
Do not believe in hearsay. Go to the NHTSA web site

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site...f3210dba046a0/

Be empowered through information. You remember, "the truth shall set you free".

Beginner
B,

I did not say it was hearsay or rumor. I believe it to be factual. Just not real world. Outside air temp hit 113 over the weekend at my home in the shade under my kitchen window. The weather service is predicting 111 today and highs of anywhere between 107 and 111 for the next 9 days. It's not likely that the rest of June or the 1st half of July will be much different then that in Phoenix. Not this year however 120 is possible. (at least we don't have to shovel it) So to test tires at 100 degrees doesn't seem to be addressing the enviroment of tires in this country. Cause the road surface will be much higher after a daily soak of 110. And may be the government has a valid test, I am not the scientist, just the consumer.

BTW thanks for the link.

AZflycaster, in answer to your question, we ARE the people that live in hot climates!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Old 06-20-2006, 12:40 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Im not so sure the government necessarally is or should be the final rule .I don't live my life around what they say or do .Its whats happening right here that is important .Action is correct ,if anyone knows heat its people in arizona.

Scott
Old 06-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Tires

scottanlilly
Bravo. I don't think so either. However, why reinvent the wheel.

We know the road and the air about any where in the lower 48 gets above the 100 Degree F mark in the summer time.

Be honest enought to admit that on occasion we approach or exceed 65 MPH.

Knowing this, and being reasonable thinking people, why buy tires that are not rated to handle the elements?

We know that owners across the board who have gone to LT tires of the same load range as the original tires on their units seem to have far fewer tire related problems. Read the other RV forums. We are not the only ones having tire problems. We are not the only ones who have cured the tire problem by going to the LT (Speed Rated) tire.

Do the research.
You will feel better is this accomplishment.

Any one happen to catch the ABC National News the other night about Dunlop(Goodyear), Goodyear, Firestone, Bridgstone, and Cooper have people piching up the shreaded tire residue from fatal accident sites?

HMMM

Remember, when you have a tire failure, report it to the NHTSA on their web site. They, like any other police organization are driven by numbers. Lets choke em.

Search on the net. Read what the US test criteria is.
Find and read what the test criteria for the European
Speed Rating is.

Beginner
Old 06-20-2006, 11:23 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
hello Beginner ,

I agree with you on the point your making ,and the firestone tire /explorer
debacle is a good example .The tire was the problem ,I personally looked at those firestone radials on a customers explorer and the tread was just peeling away as they all were doing ,not the vehicals fault .Testing done by manafacturers are worth paying attention to for sure.I am for making sure
products in general as well as tires are safe and reliable and unfortunately
that does mean that big brother must be involved .The tire speed of the marathon is as said 65MPH ,not 70 on up .Although Im sure most people
figure that you can exceed that .I really think that todays trailer tires have a tough time with speed and heat and too much weight on the tires .I must say that I do tow at 65MPH and run 700-15 bias ply LT tires ,Im always thinking
about the tires and the temperature etc. when towing even checking them when stopping with my Raytek laser temp gun ,a great tool to have .Knowing they are doing fine is peace of mind .The NHTSA is a good thing that we have
going for us ,the public .

Scott
Old 06-21-2006, 07:18 AM   #34
Site Team

, Minnesota
The NHTSA publishes a brochure on trailering. You might find it useful, or you may find it is a little too basic.

Here it is: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/E...wing/index.htm

. . . and here is the pretty .pdf version, with pictures:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/E...ing/Towing.pdf
Old 06-21-2006, 07:22 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Tires

scottanlily
The week after Memorial Day I went to Cumberland MD to see the beginning of the Tin Can Tourists Celebration Caravan of the National Road. I just wanted to see the incredable antique units. To get there I had to go east on I64, north on I81 to I70, then to I68 and into Cumberland.
Each time I stopped, I felt the tires having left my Mastercool temp gun at home (you gotta forget something). My tires were always cool to the touch. Never had a moments trouble. Excellent outing.
Vacation shouldn't be about worring about your rig, just enjoying it.

By the way, anyone find a good explaination of the Speed Rating and the testing criteria in english?
Beginner
Old 06-22-2006, 12:38 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Yeah I agree ,seems i tend to have a little stress making sure all is right .
I usually am concerned in the summer time with the heat ,mainly thats it.
having a blow out kinda gets you thinking as i experienced only once .But
yes enjoying the outing is why your going in the first place.

By the way I see you have a temp gun too!

Scott
Old 06-22-2006, 11:34 AM   #37
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi--Regarding scottanlily's 6-20-06 post about the Ford/Firestone tire problem a few years back, reminded me that GM tests tires, and approves them for each of its vehicles. Look on the side wall of any GM vehicle and you will see: T P C SPEC. 1155 MS, (the spec on my 2001 Suburban) or a similiar T P C specification. This indicates that GM has tested, and approved the tire for the vehicle. I also use 7:00-15 LT bias ply on my A/S, and never had a problem--wet weight 6200 lbs. Even on the hottest days I can always touch the side walls after 65mph highway running, which are only slightly warm, about 105F, I would approximate.--Frank S
Old 06-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
VanNuys , California
i was wondering if there is a difference between "marathon" and "workhorse" tires. I ordered marathon and i just noticed that they say workhorse. any help would be appreciated
Old 06-27-2006, 05:34 PM   #39
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi mrmotom--"Workhorse Rib" is the desigination Goodyear uses for their bias construction tires such as 7.00-15 LT D rated, which I would use on my 1973 27' Overlander.--Frank S
Old 06-27-2006, 07:29 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Tires

Remember, when radials first came out there were in the popular sizes. The original tire on my unit was a Michelin 700/15 XCA, and it was a radial according to Michelin and the old pair of Michelin XCAs I came by.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:49 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
tires

We just got back from a 5500 mile trip. Arkansas to the grand canyon and Zion , Brice and Arches.Still no tire trouble. Someone wanted to know if the lemans tires were LT tires. They are 235/75/lt all terrain. I went with the all terrain because they are softer than the highway tread.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:35 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Tires

joel
Do you have a tire pressure monitor system? Compared to the cost and hassel of repairs their cheap.
The Lemans Web site no longer lists a Load Range D in your size.
Maybe they shifted production to Bridgestone.
Also the only Lemans to carry Speed Rating are the P245/75R16 and the P265/70R16.
Keep us posted.
Maybe these tires are built properly.
This whole deal about tires seems to be turning into a statistical project as we go along.
Beginner