Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2006, 09:45 AM   #21
Oxblood

2003 34' Classic
Austin , Texas
We just had 2 blowouts within 24 hours of each other on the 2 front trailer tires on our 3 axel 34' Classic. Yes it was hot - 100-107 in New Mexico and West Texas and yes I was traveling 70mph. Did I do something wrong or can we just not travel in the summer?
oxblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #22
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi oxblood--What was the brand, type, size, mileage, and age of the tires that blew out? I think we all know that triple axles are really tough on tires. The fact that only your front tires blew, would lead me to believe that they were more heavily loaded than the other four tires. If the road bed was a bit rolling, at the speed you were traveling, you may have experienced some rebounding of the trailer, which really loaded up the fronts.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:25 PM   #23
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxblood
We just had 2 blowouts within 24 hours of each other on the 2 front trailer tires on our 3 axel 34' Classic. Yes it was hot - 100-107 in New Mexico and West Texas and yes I was traveling 70mph. Did I do something wrong or can we just not travel in the summer?
Not unless the tires were not inflated to max.
Not unless the tires had cracks.
Not unless the trailer was overloaded.
Not unless the trailer was not pulling level.

With a 2003 unit I assuming you were running OE tires. This would make them 3 to 4 years old. Depending on usage and storage, I would be concerned that they failed prematurely. And that happened on my boat trailer. What I doscovered is my boat trailer tires brand new, did not have the load capacity for the job. When I added 80 gals of fuel to the boat I was actually overloaded. I had to tow with 1/2 tank untill I replaced the tires. They were junk.

I am not sure how Marthons (this is what I have heard) get away with only a 100 degree test. The air temp get well over 100 in the summer around these parts. And the asphalt is 20 to 30 degrees hotter. With triples may be it is a good idea to rotate tires every so often. I have never had a triple axle rig, and I understand the tire scuff on turns. My boat trailer gets a lot of tire scuff because of the way I park it. However it's only 2 axle.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-17-2006, 07:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Trailer Tires

Action
Do not believe in hearsay. Go to the NHTSA web site

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site...f3210dba046a0/

Scroll down the page to #119, which is the test now used by the tire industry.
The new tests due to take ffect soon are a bit farther down the page. Their Number is #139.

Be empowered through information. You remember, "the truth shall set you free".
Finally to all fellow streamers and rv owners who read this site for information, keep records on your tires, original receipts, these have the DOT number branded into your tires.
Go to the web site

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

in the center of the page you will find the phrase "Recalls Search From Office of Defects Investigation"

Select this and follow the directions and file complaints when you have a tire failure. It only takes a few for the office to take notice(10 to 20 a month) and the Govt will purchase these tires from unsuspecting merchaqnts and test in accordance with their requirements.

Email the engineer Mr Gellispe and ask him questions. He is the authority. He is responsible for these tests.

Remember, Speed Rating is a European concept driven by the Autobahn and the need for tires that would survive the speeds driven there.
American Tire Manufacturers adoped the testing criteria as an advertising ploy to show how gook their tires are.
The Speed Rating on the tire is the overall acid test of how much heat the tire will withstand. If a tire at 100 degrees F. at full load will withstand 99 MPH then is will withstand 65 MPH at what ever the temp happens to be with a wide safety margin.
A tire with no Speed Rating is tested at 65 MPH max, under full load as stated on the sidewall, after being allowed to being heated to 100 Degrees F.
This means simply this, if you are towing your unit and:
1. The pavement temperature exceeds 100 Degrees F, you have exceeded the proven limits of the tire and are damaging the tire and it will not recover from this, only be weakened.
2. If you ever exceed 65 MPH for any reason you have exceeded the proven limits of the tire and are damaging the tire and it will not recover from this, only be weakened.

Please, don't take what I have said here at face value.
Go to the web sites and read and understand for yourselves.
Email Mr. Gellispie, he will answer you.
Call Mr. Gellispie, he will return your calls and talk freely with as much as he is allowed to.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:20 AM   #25
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
1. The pavement temperature exceeds 100 Degrees F, you have exceeded the proven limits of the tire and are damaging the tire and it will not recover from this, only be weakened.

Beginner
I took my remote temperture gauge and placed it on my driveway this morning at 9:30. It was in the sun and my driveway is cement. At 10:00 it shutdown when it reached 125 F. I am sure the blacktop is much hotter. What do people who live in hot climates do?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:26 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I took my remote temperture gauge and placed it on my driveway this morning at 9:30. It was in the sun and my driveway is cement. At 10:00 it shutdown when it reached 125 F. I am sure the blacktop is much hotter. What do people who live in hot climates do?
They park the trailer, in a creek. LOL

Not really.

But parking it on grass helps, but if that is not available, then "tire shades" work wonders.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:07 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Trinity , Alabama
The Goodyear Marathons may be a good tire but Goodyear is apparently now outsourcing them. The newer Marathons (at least some of them) have a VO plant code that is registered to South Pacific Tyres, Upper Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand. The tires with the VO code are also branded made in New Zealand.
norsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:14 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Tires

It dosen't matter where they are made. They are still made to GoodYear specs at best, and those specs are 65 MPH and 100 Degrees F.

Still, keep your records and when you have a tire failure complain to the NHTSA at this site:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Its a beginning.

Beginner
Old 06-18-2006, 10:28 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I say that the hot temperature ,excess of 100 degrees and the tires on the asphault ,70 mph ,old marathons possibly ,noted for blow outs ,big heavy
trailer all contribute to tire failure .Even max inflation may not save the tire
as heat itself causes lots of tire failures ,being out in that kind of heat traveling has its share of risks .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:17 PM   #30
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
Action
Do not believe in hearsay. Go to the NHTSA web site

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site...f3210dba046a0/

Be empowered through information. You remember, "the truth shall set you free".

Beginner
B,

I did not say it was hearsay or rumor. I believe it to be factual. Just not real world. Outside air temp hit 113 over the weekend at my home in the shade under my kitchen window. The weather service is predicting 111 today and highs of anywhere between 107 and 111 for the next 9 days. It's not likely that the rest of June or the 1st half of July will be much different then that in Phoenix. Not this year however 120 is possible. (at least we don't have to shovel it) So to test tires at 100 degrees doesn't seem to be addressing the enviroment of tires in this country. Cause the road surface will be much higher after a daily soak of 110. And may be the government has a valid test, I am not the scientist, just the consumer.

BTW thanks for the link.

AZflycaster, in answer to your question, we ARE the people that live in hot climates!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-19-2006, 11:40 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Im not so sure the government necessarally is or should be the final rule .I don't live my life around what they say or do .Its whats happening right here that is important .Action is correct ,if anyone knows heat its people in arizona.

Scott
Old 06-20-2006, 04:43 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Tires

scottanlilly
Bravo. I don't think so either. However, why reinvent the wheel.

We know the road and the air about any where in the lower 48 gets above the 100 Degree F mark in the summer time.

Be honest enought to admit that on occasion we approach or exceed 65 MPH.

Knowing this, and being reasonable thinking people, why buy tires that are not rated to handle the elements?

We know that owners across the board who have gone to LT tires of the same load range as the original tires on their units seem to have far fewer tire related problems. Read the other RV forums. We are not the only ones having tire problems. We are not the only ones who have cured the tire problem by going to the LT (Speed Rated) tire.

Do the research.
You will feel better is this accomplishment.

Any one happen to catch the ABC National News the other night about Dunlop(Goodyear), Goodyear, Firestone, Bridgstone, and Cooper have people piching up the shreaded tire residue from fatal accident sites?

HMMM

Remember, when you have a tire failure, report it to the NHTSA on their web site. They, like any other police organization are driven by numbers. Lets choke em.

Search on the net. Read what the US test criteria is.
Find and read what the test criteria for the European
Speed Rating is.

Beginner
Old 06-20-2006, 10:23 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
hello Beginner ,

I agree with you on the point your making ,and the firestone tire /explorer
debacle is a good example .The tire was the problem ,I personally looked at those firestone radials on a customers explorer and the tread was just peeling away as they all were doing ,not the vehicals fault .Testing done by manafacturers are worth paying attention to for sure.I am for making sure
products in general as well as tires are safe and reliable and unfortunately
that does mean that big brother must be involved .The tire speed of the marathon is as said 65MPH ,not 70 on up .Although Im sure most people
figure that you can exceed that .I really think that todays trailer tires have a tough time with speed and heat and too much weight on the tires .I must say that I do tow at 65MPH and run 700-15 bias ply LT tires ,Im always thinking
about the tires and the temperature etc. when towing even checking them when stopping with my Raytek laser temp gun ,a great tool to have .Knowing they are doing fine is peace of mind .The NHTSA is a good thing that we have
going for us ,the public .

Scott
Old 06-21-2006, 06:18 AM   #34
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
The NHTSA publishes a brochure on trailering. You might find it useful, or you may find it is a little too basic.

Here it is: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/E...wing/index.htm

. . . and here is the pretty .pdf version, with pictures:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/E...ing/Towing.pdf
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:22 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Tires

scottanlily
The week after Memorial Day I went to Cumberland MD to see the beginning of the Tin Can Tourists Celebration Caravan of the National Road. I just wanted to see the incredable antique units. To get there I had to go east on I64, north on I81 to I70, then to I68 and into Cumberland.
Each time I stopped, I felt the tires having left my Mastercool temp gun at home (you gotta forget something). My tires were always cool to the touch. Never had a moments trouble. Excellent outing.
Vacation shouldn't be about worring about your rig, just enjoying it.

By the way, anyone find a good explaination of the Speed Rating and the testing criteria in english?
Beginner
Old 06-21-2006, 11:38 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Yeah I agree ,seems i tend to have a little stress making sure all is right .
I usually am concerned in the summer time with the heat ,mainly thats it.
having a blow out kinda gets you thinking as i experienced only once .But
yes enjoying the outing is why your going in the first place.

By the way I see you have a temp gun too!

Scott
Old 06-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #37
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi--Regarding scottanlily's 6-20-06 post about the Ford/Firestone tire problem a few years back, reminded me that GM tests tires, and approves them for each of its vehicles. Look on the side wall of any GM vehicle and you will see: T P C SPEC. 1155 MS, (the spec on my 2001 Suburban) or a similiar T P C specification. This indicates that GM has tested, and approved the tire for the vehicle. I also use 7:00-15 LT bias ply on my A/S, and never had a problem--wet weight 6200 lbs. Even on the hottest days I can always touch the side walls after 65mph highway running, which are only slightly warm, about 105F, I would approximate.--Frank S
Old 06-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
VanNuys , California
i was wondering if there is a difference between "marathon" and "workhorse" tires. I ordered marathon and i just noticed that they say workhorse. any help would be appreciated
mrmotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:34 PM   #39
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi mrmotom--"Workhorse Rib" is the desigination Goodyear uses for their bias construction tires such as 7.00-15 LT D rated, which I would use on my 1973 27' Overlander.--Frank S
Old 06-27-2006, 06:29 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Tires

Remember, when radials first came out there were in the popular sizes. The original tire on my unit was a Michelin 700/15 XCA, and it was a radial according to Michelin and the old pair of Michelin XCAs I came by.