Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2002, 09:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
What tires to replace with?

I need to replace the tires on my '67 Safari soon,but am at a loss as to what tire to use.I also only have one of the original(at least I think it's original)hubcaps...so would like to put new ones on as well.

Any suggestions as to what the best replacement tire would be?And where to look for some cool hubcaps that will fit?

Thanks!
Charcigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 01:08 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

I guessing you have 700X15 tires on there now. Thats what was on my 1977/31' A/S. I asked the same question you asked & got two options in most replies. You can go with radials or stay with bais ply tires. If your wheels are too old, you may not be able to mount radials on them. You would have to buy new wheels. I had already put new wheels on, so could put either on. Most people recommended Goodyear Merathon tires if you go with radials. I decided to stay with bais ply tires. One reason was the radial tires will let the TT set about a inch lower & my TT is already about a inch too low. I can't let the hitch down any further & don't want to buy another ball mount hitch. I had very good service from my last bais ply tires & have no reason to change to radial. I went to schwab tires when in Bend OR & got their bais ply( 8 ply )tires mounted, balanced & out the door for $300. I've traveled about 4/5 thousand miles & they seem fine. I think either way is fine. I have two friends that have had Goodyear Merathon tires blow out. That afected my decission also.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote