Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Everett , Washington
What tires to choose

Totally confused about tires: Has any one had any experience or information regarding the Maxxis brand of tire. I have checked locally and no one stocks this brand, but I'm hearing some good things about them, But they have to special order them if I want them. Makes me wonder why no one stocks them. Russell D
russelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Google Maxxis tires Airstream. You will find many Airforums posts/threads on the subject.
I've found Google is the best way to search this forum.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I would recommend you Google them and consider mail order. When researching, note that there are tires specifically made for trailers, and tires that are made for other vehicles. Some here prefer tires made for other vehicles. You will need to make a choice for yourself on whether that is a road you want to go down.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
X2 on mail order...I recently bought a set of tires from Tirebuyer.com. I had the tires the next day. Their price was cheaper than even Walmart. They ship for free. Most tires can be returned within 45 days even if you use them, plus they pay the shipping. To get this benefit, you must have the tires shipped to one of their registered installers. If you chose to have them shipped to your home, you can only return the tires unused within 30 days. You have to pay the return shipping.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelld View Post
Totally confused about tires: Has any one had any experience or information regarding the Maxxis brand of tire. I have checked locally and no one stocks this brand, but I'm hearing some good things about them, But they have to special order them if I want them. Makes me wonder why no one stocks them. Russell D
I have had EXCELLENT results with Maxxis. A local shop in my hometown suggested them and I had them installed. At one point I had a tire problem and the customer service from Maxxis was the very best. Super nice...very efficient.
sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
Quote:
I have used them and one of the best tires I ever had on my 2000 34' limited Trailer now has over 125,000 miles on it, not the tires.
rmatkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:03 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
Forgot to tell U I bought the tire in Whitehorse, AK.
rmatkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
After I bought my AS, I bought Maxxis tires via mail-order & replaced the Goodyears with them. I paid around $110/tire plus around $40 for shipping --- less than $500 --- and paid less than $100 to have them mounted, balanced, & installed with new metal stems. And then sold the new Goodyears for $300. So the change-over cost me a little over $250.

I now have approx 15K miles on them, totally without problems.

If you get Maxxis, be sure to get their E-rated, 10 ply tires, and not their D-rated, 8 ply tires for slightly less $$$.

Amazon has them at $127 with free shipping for Prime members:

https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-M8008-...s=maxxis+m8008
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:30 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:

I had 4 Maxxis 15" E rating 80 psi on my 29' Excella. Maxxis are speed rated Q and can be driven well over the more common 65mph limit of GYM and others.
I've had OK results. The first four went smoothly for 3 years then I had to tread separations near Sarasota FL. The TMS went off and warned of loss of pressure, I pulled over, saw it wasn't flat, and drove to the next exit slowly with flashers on, pulled off and changed the tire. That tire was street side rear, the next day the curb side front showed evidence of tread separation, so I bought four new Maxxis same size and E rating, and saved the two good ones from the first batch for spares. I've got 1.5 yrs on the new ones and no problem. The TMS saved me lots of headaches and damage and cost, and gives me great peace of mind.

My next tires however are going to be 16' Michelin LT tires, and they are only 1/2 inch taller in the wheel well than my Maxxis. Other than 16' Michelins I would say that the 15" Maxxis are probably best. DO CHECK THE MANUFACTURE DATE AND DON'T ACCEPT OLD TIRE DATES.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I too would like more feedback about, what is the best tire for our AS. I had GREAT satisfaction with my GYM on 2 AS over 10 years and over 100,000 miles, until a blowout earlier this month. Every tire that I researched had negative statements from some owners. As for the Michelin LT tires, Michelin Corporation sent me an email stating that the LTs are not made for trailers, and should not be used as such. An ST should be used according to Michelin. My AS is now put to bed for the winter (we live in northern VT) and I have the winter to do more tire research.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:50 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
Goodyear Marathons on all my trailers. Long lasting and never experienced a blow out with them. I do put a cover over them when parked as the Florida sun is brutal.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #12

1963 24' Tradewind
Canandaigua , New York
I'm bringing home a '63 Tradewind that's been sitting for 16 years. I'm jacking it up and getting new tires before the tow. I called 2 shops, one offered me 6 or 8 ply. Neither seemed to know which I should use. What rating should I be looking for?
smithzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:51 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Surprised you can not find the Maxxis in Washington.

If you cross the line and do some shopping in BC you will have no problems finding them. Many of the tire shops stock them as their go to trailer tires.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I moved to Maxxis E rated tires after my first belt separation on the Marathons. No dealers here in St. Louis according to Maxxis, but my neighbor whose job headquarters was about 150 miles southwest of St. Louis found a dealer in that area and bought my Maxxis tires there. Unfortunately they also suffered from belt separation and due to the distance from home, I wasn't willing to try to take the 2 tires that failed back for adjustments under warranty. In rethinking I'd rather stick with a tire that has decent distribution base in case you want warranty service.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Well I got my 15" Michelin mounted on the freshly sandblasted and painted original rim.
Tried in vane to put it on the trailer. A 67 Caravel.
It is so thick I had to let all the air out of it to fit in wheel well . Once I finally wedged it in and mounted to the lugs I could clearly see that it is to wide to fit in between the outriggers. I really think had I let the trailer back down with the new tire in there the out riggers would have sat on tire.
Now what the hell do I do? I'm very frustrated this evening.
Not sure how others have dealt with this.
Any suggestions would be great.
2 steps forward, 10 back. :-(
Old 12-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hey Dingo Girl - sorry, sounds frustrating.

Did your trailer have 14" tires originally or 15" tires? A '67 17' trailer was probably light enough for 14" tires so maybe you just don't have a 15" option. If it was 15" tires originally, maybe you could check out Coker Tire for assistance.

https://www.cokertire.com

Others may have suggestions on what you could do with the physical space you're concerned about on your trailer - sorry I can't help there....good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
It had 15 originally. I'm hoping tire place will let me take it back. Or exchange for something that will work.
What a pain.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:00 AM   #18
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Hello russelld,

You've probably already found a solution to your tire question but I thought I'd chime in on the Maxxis brand. We used Maxxis twice on our 29' Classic. We were pleased with the results - no problems and tread life lasted as long as we expected. Most recently we are using Carlisle tires and pleased with the results - once again, no problems and tread life is wearing fine.

In both cases, Maxxis and Carlisle, the tires had to be "ordered." For me that meant calling a day ahead of my planned visit to the tire dealer so the tires would be available when I showed up. The ordering consisted of getting the tires from the warehouse to the dealer. Is that the type of ordering you're referring to? Or are you saying that no tire dealer in Washington has easy access to the tires?

Tire dealers can't stock every tire. Getting them from the warehouse is not uncommon.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Might try a smaller 15" tire..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
When we bought our 75 Overlander it had 7.00x15 tires on it and both fender wells had contact damage on the lead edge. Thanks to my friend the internet, I looked up the diameter of the tires, found the size for a slightly smaller diameter tire of greater capacity, and made a purchase. When the tires arrived I had them mounted on the rims and balanced. No chance of contact now, fender wells repaired.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote