Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2005, 02:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

What tires do I need?

Recently purchased a 1958 26ft. Airstream Overlander and need four new tires, wheels and bearings. The orginal tires are 14.5 inch. Have read some postings that a 15 inch tire will work and may be alittle better. Any suggestions? Are the wheels hard to find? I understand the six slot wheel can be difficult to locate. Thanks!
Rat Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Rat

Welcome to the forum - you will probably get two schools of thoughts regarding - there are those that want the original vintage look and will go with bias ply tires - I used to be in that group, but have now been convinced that radials are the way to go. Most are using Goodyear Marithons - 225 75 15 - rims should not be hard to find - just 15 inch 6 hole.

Got any pictures of your 58 - whats the serial number - California or Ohio version - I have a 58 Overlander too.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
New tires

I just received my new tires in the above mentioned size from https://www.lowcosttrailersupplies.com for $84.02 each. I think maybe the company is Red Neck Trailer Supplies online retailer. The Tire Rack had a comparable price but LowCost had slightly cheaper shipping to my location.

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What tires do I need?

Greetings Rat Pack!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Overlander ownerhsip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Pack
Recently purchased a 1958 26ft. Airstream Overlander and need four new tires, wheels and bearings. The orginal tires are 14.5 inch. Have read some postings that a 15 inch tire will work and may be alittle better. Any suggestions? Are the wheels hard to find? I understand the six slot wheel can be difficult to locate. Thanks!
While my Overlander is a bit newer than yours, I have been very well satisfied with the Good Year Marathon radials 225 75 R 15 ST Load Range D that I have been running on my coach since 1996. At that time, I took the coach to my Good Year dealer and had him measure all clearances as well as one of the original rims for offset/bolt circle/width; from this information he ordered new wheels (trailer rated with 2,600 pound weight rating) and the Marathon tires. (Having the dealer measure for the wheels and tires placed the responsibility on his personnel should the special order merchandise not fit - - for the trailer wheels/tires fit on first order while it took the third order before he was able to get a proper fit wheel/tire combination for my tow vehicle - - Vintage Airstreams can have very tight wheel well clearances so there is some potential for sizing issues with new tires/wheels.) I have had absolutely no problems with the tires, and had similar tires (Load Range C) installed on my Minuet. While I tow my coaches a number of miles each season, I have never worn out a set of tires - - for safety, I replace the tires after the fifth season of use. Most of the tire dealers in my area will have a catalog with a number of trailer rated wheels from which the customer can choose - - I was very tempted to purchase a set of aluminum wheels to compliment those I purchased for my tow vehicle two years ago - - the catalog that my dealer had displayed aluminum trailer rated wheels with weight capacities up to 3,600 pounds.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
...Vintage Airstreams can have very tight wheel well clearances so there is some potential for sizing issues with new tires/wheels...
I know from personal experience, with Kevin as my witness on one of them, that a California built, '67 Overlander has tighter wheel well clearances than an Ohio built '67 Overlander.

It might behoove you to figure out where your Overlander was built as "back pocket" information.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Offset is important in choosing the correct wheels, there seem to be several variations in offset over the years. The 2600 pound rating seems standard. Also, if your coach came originally with load range C tires, you can inflate your new load range D tires to the C pressure (usually 50psi) to keep from beating up your coach as badly.

Terry
Old 01-09-2005, 06:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I am using 235 75 15 radials on my unit simply because I found a deal (Sam's $50 a piece) and they would carry more weight than the goodyears. I have friends that will only use 700 15 truck tires because they have stiffer sidewalls and add some height. This only important if you are worried about tail drag. For those of us in 34's this is always a concern.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:41 PM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Pack
I have 4 original Airstream wheels with 7:00x15 LRc tires that are available. The wheels have been inspected, and sand blasted, then powder coated. They look and work like brand new.
I have 4 original hubcaps for them, and also 4 brand new baby moon hubcaps in stainless steel, chromed.
PMme if you are interested.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:00 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Ken J
Thanks for the welcom! Our 58 is a California version #-07660. I am having problems uploading my photos due to file size. The interior is alittle scary. We are planning to gut the inside and thinking about changing the layout to include a set of bunks moving the bath and a bed in the back for mom and dad. Would love to hear about your "58".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1322.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	10040  
Old 01-09-2005, 08:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Rat

Mine is a California s/n 7076 - if yours is a 07660 - ( with an "o" in front of the s/n), I think you have a Ohio made trailer.

Anyway check out my thread http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=12320 - it shows alot of what I'm doing - I will update it soon.

As far as pictures go - it you have some sort of photo software, you should be able to reduce the size -

Let me know if you need any interior thoughts/ideas - I just finished building all new cabinets - have not installed them yet because its the middle of winter and I got some other things to fix first.

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 01-09-2005, 09:53 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

KenJ
Thanks for the photo tip. I was able to setup a members album. Take a look.
Rat
Old 01-10-2005, 10:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Rat

Looks good - should not be too bad of a restore - I think your interior is better than what I started out with - just get some good paint stripper - in my case as I started removing cabinets, they just fell apart on me, so I built new ones.

Duel axle is a good thing - most were single of that vintage.

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 03-13-2005, 11:00 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1984 34' International
Ogden , Utah
Hello,

I've been reading a lot of posts about the correct tires to use this morning. I'm still a little confused as to the differences between trailer tires and truck tires. We bought a 1973 Safari that came with truck tires mounted, Mastercraft MS 225/75/15, that appear to be in good condition. We want to replace them with the safest, and best tires possible. We travel on dirt roads quite a bit and want something that will hold up with stronger side walls. Plus we're planning our first long distance road trip this July.

Any suggestions about tires would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Marie
DesertRats52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:00 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRats52
Hello,

I've been reading a lot of posts about the correct tires to use this morning. I'm still a little confused as to the differences between trailer tires and truck tires. We bought a 1973 Safari that came with truck tires mounted, Mastercraft MS 225/75/15, that appear to be in good condition. We want to replace them with the safest, and best tires possible. We travel on dirt roads quite a bit and want something that will hold up with stronger side walls. Plus we're planning our first long distance road trip this July.

Thank you,
Marie
Any suggestions about tires would be greatly appreciated.Marie, Goodyear Mrathons, size ST225/75R15, are preferred replacement tires for your trailer. If you have a single-axle Safari (they came single or dual), load range D is preferred. If you have a dual axle, you can get load range C, if you can find them.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
From everything that I have read the truck tires do not have the same level of UV protection that trailer tires do. Trailer tires are made to stay out in the sunlight for years were as truck tires are meant to be worn out is several. You will not go wrong with goodyear marathon 225 in the d range.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:10 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1984 34' International
Ogden , Utah
Talking Marathons

Hi,

Thank you for your help. We have marathons on our boat trailer, which seem to be pretty good tires. Although we'd like to have deeper tread to take the trailer out on dirt roads. I guess we just need an all around good safe tire that will be appropriate for freeway driving and off road.

Now that we're checking out tires, my hubby wants to get some fancy wheels. Any suggestions where we can find the proper size made by Alcoa?

Thanks again,

Marie
Old 03-14-2005, 08:44 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What tires do I need?

Greetings Marie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRats52
Hi,

Thank you for your help. We have marathons on our boat trailer, which seem to be pretty good tires. Although we'd like to have deeper tread to take the trailer out on dirt roads. I guess we just need an all around good safe tire that will be appropriate for freeway driving and off road.

Now that we're checking out tires, my hubby wants to get some fancy wheels. Any suggestions where we can find the proper size made by Alcoa?

Thanks again,

Marie
When I checked my bookmarks, I found the link below that was posted by 59Toaster as a good source for wheels that are nearly identical to what Airstream is currently using on its new coaches:

http://www.trailer-parts-forless.com...l_assembly.htm

You can also obtain the new aluminum wheels as used on the current Airstreams from an Airstream Dealer or Authorized Service Center. I also found that my local Good Year dealer had a catalog of wheels (including numerous aluminum models with applications for trailers) that could be special ordered - - when he ordered mine, the shop personnel took one of the wheel/tire combinations from my coach and measured all of the critical dimensions and place the order for new tires and wheels (the advantage of folllowing this method is that if there are any errors in the ordering process it will be the mistake of the dealership personnel).

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:22 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1984 34' International
Ogden , Utah
Exclamation Wheels & Tires

Thanks Kevin,

Those are really nice looking wheels. We'll call a dealer and see what they have here locally too. They would certainly jazz up our painted trailer. he he

Marie

1973 23' Safari - 1997 F-150