Old 09-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Ravenna , Ohio
What tire should I buy for my 20xx model abcd?

I am getting a number of PM asking that question. I don't mind but constantly covering the same questions over and over is just not efficient use of my time.

Sorry but I don't know all the different Airstream models and tire options.

Lets start with getting the basic info needed to make an informed suggestion.

Please tell me the size shown on your placard
Be sure you give me the complete size and not something like "225-15". This includes the P or ST or LT before the numbers.

What is the Load Range? (This replaces the old "Ply Rating")

What are the axle ratings on the placard. Not some sticker on the axle.
GAWR= xxxx lbs

What is the recommended tire inflation on the placard?

Next about you and the RV

Do you drive faster than 60 mph? Faster than 65?, 70? 75? 103?

What does your RV actually weigh. This means the number on the weigh slip not what your friend has on his RV.
Even better you need to follow the instructions on the worksheet HERE or HERE if you can't get individual weights from RVSEF or RV-Dreams.

Do you have a TPMS for your RV? If not why not?

Finally, please do not ask what the "Best Tire Is" I have covered this question and the quality questions in my blog. You can read all the posts related to those issues there if you are really interested.

Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
I'm in the , US
I want to second what Tireman9 said. While I haven't gotten many inquires, he is right about the information needed.

He and I both are of the opinion that the first step in determining what tire is needed is to weigh the trailer - tire by tire, if possible.

Why? Because we know that these things don't always weigh less than what the stickers say. This completely clouds the tire failure issue.

What about tire brand? Both of us worked for major (but different) tire manufacturers. In essence, we each should have our own prejudices about brands.

- BUT -

We are both engineers and while we know how tires work, we don't (and can't) keep up with the ever changing offerings of the literally hundreds of tire manufacturers and all the products they offer for sale. That's where a web site like Tire Rack becomes valuable.

And a side though on the term "Quality" - and I'm sure Tireman9 will confirm this:

There are 3 ways the term "Quality" is used.

1) Consistency from individual product to individual product. Balance is a good example. Each tire requires a different amount of weight.

2) Manufacturing issues. The term "defect" fits here, but also, "missing component" would also fit.

3) Design: How well does the design to its intended task. This is where I think most of the tire failure issues come from.

Please note that these are 3 separate things - but I believe that a tire manufacturer who is good in one area will also be good in the others - and here's the kicker - I think there is some variation in this.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote