Old 07-10-2015, 12:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
What Size/Type?

My 1975 Overlander currently has 7.00X15 (27.88" diameter) tires on it. Looking at the wheel wells, maybe the tires have made contact where the wheel well and belly skin meet because there is an enormous amount of unspecified caulk attempting to glue them together.

What size replacement tires?
225/75X15 are 28.1" diameter
205/75X15 are 27.1" diameter
etc.

Then the ever controversial trailer tire vs truck tire vs radial - and why?

Last, how do the surfaces of the wheel well and belly skin really connect? A glob of caulk seems unlikely.

Thanks beforehand!

Old 07-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
A 7.00R15LT is 29.6" in diameter, 8.0" wide on a 5.50" rim, has a load carrying capacity of 1710# at 50 psi (Load Range C)

An ST205/75R15 is 27.1 in diameter, 8.0" wide on a 5.5" rim, and has a load carrying capacity of 1820# at 50 psi (Load Range C).

There look like only 2 issues: The diameter, and the fact that the ST is speed restricted to 65 mph.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Thanks!

65 mph isn't an issue ... I'm in no hurry, many people have no idea what happens to fuel mileage as speed increases, and the 1999 TV is more geared for that speed.

Maybe rephrase the question after reading several comments about the difficulty of cramming tires back under the rig.

Where the wheel well and belly skin meet on my 75 Overlander, it looks like the PO has attempted to hold these two together with a ridiculous amount of caulk and they really aren't together, it is not weather tight.

Is this normal? If not, how is it supposed to be? Because it looks like both the skin and the well have been worn from tire rub.

I'm thinking smaller diameter tires are in order in spite of any differences in ground clearance.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Long Beach , California
Hello nrgtrakr:

I doubt a PO was successful in attempting to hold the wheel well and skin together with caulk.

My guess is he was attempting to keep dust and dirt kicked up by the tires from entering the trailer. That was my reason for using a little Tempro caulk in that location. -- Don
Old 07-10-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
...... how do the surfaces of the wheel well and belly skin really connect? A glob of caulk seems unlikely.
Hereís a diagram from my í72 manual. Should be the same for your trailer. Fig. 4 is original, 3 is showing repairing damaged well.

From the outside in itís;
Trim strip, skin, outer wheel well and reinforcing strip all secured with pop rivets. The outer well is sandwiched between the frame and floor.
As fig. 3 indicates the recommended repair was to cut the damaged wheel well out and install the new one with screws and caulk.

Hope this helps,
Tom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel well.png
Views:	52
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	242604  

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Thanks Tom! Perfect!

The front and rear edges of my wells, to include the belly skin at the same location, are just flopping - no rivets holding anything and again a gob of silicon in what looks like an attempt to glue things in place.

Trying to understand how it became damaged is when I noticed that perhaps the tires are too big for the space as the wells show signs of tire contact.

Working maintenance in hospitals, there were a lot of nice guys with tools, but very few actually trained in maintenance, so some unusual repairs at times.

You said manual ... as in service manual? I have the owners manual, a pretty document but not very useful.

Thanks again!
Old 07-10-2015, 11:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Don, I'll keep that in mind when I pull the wheels to repack bearings, service brakes, replace the who knows how old tires, and perform surgery on the wheel well belly pan connection. The wheel wells inside have been duct taped at the wall joint likely for the same reason.