Old 08-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #15
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
I also want to second the praise Tireman9 gave to Airstream on their tire sizing.

And like Tireman9, I share his concern about those other Airstream units. I wonder if those are the older models. I also share his concern about overloading tires by existing the GVW of the vehicle.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
1990 Chevrolet G30 van with about 800 lbs of John Deere 140 garden tractor loaded in the back pulling a 1974 311 Excella.

Steer 3060
Drive 4940
Trailer 5360
Gross 13,360

Just Van
Steer 3260
Drive 4220
Trailer 0
Gross 7480

So it looks like the trailer weighed 13,360-7,480= 5,880

Old 08-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The closest CAT scales are 50 miles each way. All these threads on weights and front to back and left to right tire loads are enough to make me believe that since I can not determine all the specific information suggested using these closest CAT scales, I should come upwith a workable solution.

I have decided to order two sets of individual four wheel scales and will be able to accurately setup the trailer payload unhitched, determine the individual wheel weights on both vehicles and then fine tune the Hensley. They will show up when I get back in country and be there for the setup of the next trip at the end of September.

This could become a new side line business!

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The closest CAT scales are 50 miles each way. All these threads on weights and front to back and left to right tire loads are enough to make me believe that since I can not determine all the specific information suggested using these closest CAT scales, I should come upwith a workable solution.

I have decided to order two sets of individual four wheel scales and will be able to accurately setup the trailer payload unhitched, determine the individual wheel weights on both vehicles and then fine tune the Hensley. They will show up when I get back in country and be there for the setup of the next trip at the end of September.

This could become a new side line business!
That's quite an investment. But yes it could also be a new business.

For normal usage I suggest
1. Inflate the TT tires to the inflation on the tires which is also probably the inflation on the TT certification (placard) label
2.Get the individual axle loads next time you start on a trip. There are many locations to get weighed. Grain elevators, Concrete contractors, Sand & Gravel operations, as well as special services such as RV dreams
RVSEF and CAT or This list, or this web site for weigh stations. Some use this site to find a scale.
3. If you can't get individual scale loads there are calculation forms Here and Worksheet HERE.
4. Until you do the math you should be able to get individual axle loads from #2 above. Then simply assume 45/55 axle split and 45/55 side to side of heaviest axle. This will cover 95+% of RVs.

It really isn't that complicated. maybe just too many options.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Oddly enough, my trailer weight is the same as yours - 5880. See scale pic below. 2012 27FB Flying Cloud, 50% fresh water tank, probably a gallon or two (I.e., empty) black and gray, 2 full 30 lb propane tanks, all clothing, dishes, camping gear on board, connected to TV w/PP hitch and 6" up on the WD sleeves - TV had full (36 gal) diesel tank and all camping gear/tools in the bed.

This was before deciding on the 15" Michelins. I weighed after putting on the new tires - similar numbers - I didn't take a pic of that scale ticket however...

Attachment 193848
So that 5880 is on two tires? If so I would figure 3,234# for a tire load (55%)
If on 4 tires I would figure 1779# per tire (55% of 55% or 5880)
Old 08-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

So that 5880 is on two tires? If so I would figure 3,234# for a tire load (55%)
If on 4 tires I would figure 1779# per tire (55% of 55% or 5880)
4 tires. I started with the 2183 of the Michelin 15s, divided by 1.1 and further divided that by 1.15 and came up with 1726/tire or 6900 for the trailer. With 5880 fully loaded, I still have 1000 lbs to play with as I understand it.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
4 tires. I started with the 2183 of the Michelin 15s, divided by 1.1 and further divided that by 1.15 and came up with 1726/tire or 6900 for the trailer. With 5880 fully loaded, I still have 1000 lbs to play with as I understand it.

OK reasonable approach
Old 08-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
What is interesting is after I attended a RVSEF tire safety weigh in and seminar, I learned how misleading axle weight measurements were. In the motorhome world overweight on a specific wheel is common situation. In one example they weighed a brand new unloaded motorhome using individual wheel scales. Using axle weight specs the load was well within specs. What they found however was the driver side front tire was at maximum capacity. When weighed with a driver at the wheel, the tire was overloaded. The owner of the motor home contacted the manufacturer who promptly replaced the tires with higher rated tires. Apparently it was not a mistake at the factory. Someone in the manufacturing process spec'd the tires based on axle load and no one caught the load per tire issue.

In weighing my 27' Safari tandem with my normal camping load, we found the tires pretty evenly loaded. The biggest variance was the curb side rear wheel which was carrying 40 lbs more than any other wheel.

The RVSEF website has the schedule of events for the year where they will be doing weigh in's. You might find a location near you.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote