Old 04-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #29
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
So, in the inflation tables at on the line for the ST225/75R15 (the proper tire for my TT), the entry "2150(C)" is in the 50psi column, which I take to mean that that the Load Range C tires can only handle 2,150 lbs load, and that's the correct pressure.

Then in the same line, at 65psi I see "2540(D)" which I take to mean that the Load Range D tires can handle 2,540 lbs load.

Dry weight for my TT is 5,100 lbs. The specs say I can use load range C OR D. Now, I am also making the assumption that the load is "per axle". Surely it's not "per tire", is it?

I'm also factoring in that Inland Andy always says that the AS TTs yearn for a soft touch, a gentle tow, and it strikes me that Load Range C tires would be a softer ride than the D ones would be.

What do you recommend I buy!?

Cornfused in Rubber.

If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #30
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Anybody? Maybe these are dumb questions.

If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #31
Rivet Master
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Trailer weight

First go weight your trailer.
Next: if your trailer does weigh 5100 the breakdown goes like this:
Tongue: 700 lbs (for this example)
That leaves 4400 lbs for the axles to carry.
Axles: Two axles: If the tongue is proper (as determined atthe scales) the weight on each axle will be 2200 lbs.
Tires: Two tires on each axle: 1100 lbs,
ST tires are rated at 65 mph. The Speed Rating is an overall acid test indication of how much heat the rubber compounds the tire is made of can withstand without releasing (loosing integrity/melting) and allowing a catastrohpic failure.
You do not need higher load rated tires as people tend to overinflate higher load rated tires in reguard to the actual load but higher speed rated tires. ST tires should be safe at 55 MPH (with a good Tire Pressure Monitering System installed) or go to a tire with a higher Speed Rating. The Cooper Custom Trailer Plus is the only ST tire that I am aware of that has a Speed Rating of 99 MPH. I went to 16 LT tires and all problems went away. I can't speed for the Coopers. The only reason that I didn't buy Coopers was their marketing structure. They can be hard to get and even harder on the road (sometimes you just hit things pickup things).
My two cents worth.

Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote