Old 02-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
San Clemente , California
What is a good tire for an early 60ís vintage single axel AS?

I have a 1960 Tradewind with Yokohama 7.00R15 LT Load range D tires. They still look good macroscopically but I donít know their history and I believe they are 4 years old. I donít trust them for the long hauls upcoming. This is a mostly unmodified trailer with an updated axel and aluminum rims which means it weighs about 4k-5k lbs. I never weighed it so Iím guessing here.

These tires allow the trailer to pull well and handle reasonably so they must be about right so I could rebuy them with Yokohamaís latest but I also see discussion of a number of other brands so Iím interested in the groupís experience.

What are you single axel brethren running for 15Ē tires?

Thanks!
Richard

Bexar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Tracktown USA , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexar View Post
I have a 1960 Tradewind with Yokohama 7.00R15 LT Load range D tires. They still look good macroscopically but I don’t know their history and I believe they are 4 years old. I don’t trust them for the long hauls upcoming. This is a mostly unmodified trailer with an updated axel and aluminum rims which means it weighs about 4k-5k lbs. I never weighed it so I’m guessing here.

These tires allow the trailer to pull well and handle reasonably so they must be about right so I could rebuy them with Yokohama’s latest but I also see discussion of a number of other brands so I’m interested in the group’s experience.

What are you single axel brethren running for 15” tires?

Thanks!
Richard
Hey richard,i had my sights focused in the 15" nokian rotiiva AT. It is a 10 ply E rated LT tire LT235/75R 15 LRE 116 S (112mph). I finally chose the new GYE ST225/75 15 LRE 117 N (87mph????), also 10 ply E rated but slight!y higher load...2830 vs. 2760 more or less. Even tho the Nok's are now made in TN, i am going with the GYE's simply cuz you can find them everywhere. Let me say it was a very back and forth decision and would be extremely happy with either.

Also to come into play for me is fit. The Nok's are slightly larger... 1/2" profile & dia. More of an issue with the space for the spare and hanger. ..I have plenty of room in the WW's.

It should be noted that both offerings are new in maybe the last year...esp the gye's. The nok's have been in Europe both are new to USA.

When i'm on my laptop, i'll post a link that contains a lot of thread links.

Lastly my OEM tires.. GYM's simply had no margin. 5k axle/2500 per tire, and the gym rated at 2540. Loose and pound or two of air and i have possibly an over load issue and a blow out in the makings! Both the gye's and nok's give me a couple 2-3 hun lbs of magin.

If you search AF at the top for endurance & nokian you'll get plenty of hits.

Happy trails.

Bob

ps... The gye's while rated at 65mph, with addit psi, depending on your load can comfortably run at higher mph's.

CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
According to AS archives your weight is under 3500#. Of course that is not the real world with fluids, etc.
https://www.airstream.com/service/document-archive/

I agree with with CruizinDux, load range E LT tires. I would also check what the load rating is for your aluminum wheels.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
FYI,

My 68 TradeWind weights 4150 lbs. I weighed it on the way home from a camping trip so it was loaded up with "stuff". I had full propane takes, empty black tank and about 15 gallons of fresh water. I think yours will weight somewhat less.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Tracktown USA , Oregon
Here is the post I referenced above re nokians, GYE's and the 15.16 swap to mich def's.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ml#post2059971
Old 02-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Thanks for the great help all you fellow AirStreamers!

57Vintage & 68TWind I'm glad to not be WAGing the weight anymore. Now I have a range and the upper end looks like it exceeds the Yokohamas and is fringe LR D.

CruizinDux I've spent the day researching the two tires, as well as a few others, you have pointed me at and the Nokian Rotiva seems to be a good match for my needs. It's overkill, a bit less so than the GYE, but if I can avoid a blowout I'll spend money up front to do it. I'm going to go for the LT235/75R15 LRE. The LT225/75R15 LRE is abt .75" narrower but also an inch smaller in diameter and this machine does not need to get any closer to the ground.

Need a reliable TPMS now for additional CYA!
Old 02-13-2018, 09:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Tracktown USA , Oregon
IMO a great choice. That was my original choice. Carries the load and has a great meaty tread.

Here is a thread that I had saved on TMPS
http://outsideinterests.info/article...ide-interests/

I was going to add the Dill's down the road. Very popular with good reviews on AF.
CENTRAMATICS #300-356, 6 bolt (20íAS) 12" drums 6x5.5 bolt pattern 1/2 set @ $99

McGuard Lug Nuts ĹĒ 20 thread 1.4" Tall, Pk of 10 Lug nuts by: Amazon/direct distributing...arrived early on a few days. Poke around I just got a 20 pk for 23.50
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KN4DCMM3&psc=1

Chrome Metal valve stems $22088 (Dill VS-902-W or =)

TMPS: STS 507 RV pass thru $179 ( http://tsttruck.com/product/507-starter-system-kit/ ), Call them and they have a special price for a Bambi (2 sensors)
Old 02-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Hi Richard,

We've been running the Maxxxis Trailer tires on our 1960 Avion T20 which is the similar era, but still run the 8PR E-LR ST tires even if probably a bit lighter than yours (+/-3-4K lbs. wet & loaded), so you're probably in the E range 8PR. We've had no problems since 2012 & getting close to replacing them for age reasons only, as tread wear is minimal.

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-1...t-radial-m8008

They were recommended by Uwe Salwender at Area 63 Productions resto shop for Airstreams & Vintage Kin, & he puts them on all of his customers trailers. You can contact him yourself, & aks about trailer tires, Maxxis, ST vs. LT tires, any other AS resto issues, etc., as he's local for you up in Lytle Creek now (he was in Orange when we first met him), if you need any work done.

http://www.area63productions.com/

I see that you have LT Tires on yours - which is not my preference nor recco - but Maxxis also makes an excellent LT tire which we run on our `88 VW Westfalia camper van, which are better running & no blow out issues which the OEM original Michelin tires supposedly designed specifically for VW Vanagons & their other LT's Light Truck line.

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-2...eries-ue-168-n

The Maxxis tires were tested by Trailer Life & others, & they always come out very highly rated, & America's Tires can order them for you to mount on your AS. It gives you another option over the usual reccos folks give on here.

Hopefully we'll see you at Ocean Mesa Vintage Rally next month, or at Pismo in May, or Newport Dunes 9/30-10/1 (get in on that one if you're not in yet - loads of fun & close by, & not religious as the sponsoring group might imply - it's just another rally). Look us up at any or all!

Good Luck!
Tom (& Jana)
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:14 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lexington , Kentucky
Michelins

We got our best deal from Walmart....had to order them and got Michelins.
The Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Thanks Tom! Iím glad to know about the Maxxis as well as Uwe. Ordered the Nokianís thru Discount and install is Tuesday. I like their fit in the wheel well of this old Tradewind and the load ratings which exceeded needs without additional cost. The Maxxisís would be a good match too.

Hope to meet you at one of the rallies and Thanks again.
Richard
Old 03-09-2018, 11:01 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Palmyra , Virginia
With a '64 Overlander, I found that a 205R15 was the closest economical tire to the factory 7.00/15 tire I could find.
The width is just a touch fatter at about 1' thicker and you lose about 1/2" in ride height.
Now the skin of my trailer overhangs the wheel well and I had a bit of trouble mounting the slightly fatter tire in the gap between the hub and the trailer skin. I don't think I could have mounted a 235/70 without having to pull the skin way out to make the necessary clearance and the risk that would mean to potentially warping the skin.
Indeed next time I will probably release the tire pressure to make it a bit easier to install.
Now maybe my axles no longer have the range of travel they use to, but until I get around to revamping the entire undercarriage I have to work with what I have. I don't see where the slight decrease in ride height is significant, and once installed I've got adequate clearance. So if your skin covers the top part of the wheel well, you need to take a measurement of the edge of the skin to the hub to see what width tire you can actually get installed on the hub.
Scoutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexar View Post
I have a 1960 Tradewind with Yokohama 7.00R15 LT Load range D tires. They still look good macroscopically but I donít know their history and I believe they are 4 years old. I donít trust them for the long hauls upcoming. This is a mostly unmodified trailer with an updated axel and aluminum rims which means it weighs about 4k-5k lbs. I never weighed it so Iím guessing here.

These tires allow the trailer to pull well and handle reasonably so they must be about right so I could rebuy them with Yokohamaís latest but I also see discussion of a number of other brands so Iím interested in the groupís experience.

What are you single axel brethren running for 15Ē tires?

Thanks!
Richard
I would trust your tires now if they look good. If you research them you will find they can be retreaded up to 3 times. Its a quality truck tire not a throw away ST tire. I'm thinking 9yrs as I watch my 6yr old tires for signs of aging.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rtnum=700R5215