Old 01-31-2010, 03:18 PM   #15
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Many, MANY tire "failures" are actually the result of valve stem failure. Does yours show any signs of rubber fatigue? There are as many as 30 million installed in rims today that are defective and made out of inferior materials.

Roger

Old 01-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
You have made no mention of the build date in the DOT code on the tire. A code of 2505, would indicate your tires were built the 25th week of the year 2005. Just guessing, Airstream could have had the tires on hand earlier than the build of your trailer.

visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Airstream probably uses Good Year Marathons as OEM because they get a good deal on them. They certainly are not the best product available.
Problems with D rated ST trailer tires (Good Year and others) in hot weather at freeway speeds is very well documented. Lots of posts on Airstream and other forums about this problem.
Yes, a road hazard could have caused the problem, as could under inflation, ect. The poster didn't mention a road hazard and states that air pressure was regularly checked. From observing four blowouts on my own trailer, the photographs are also consistent with a spontaneous blowout due to tread seperation.
The difficulty of proving causation is why Good Year and others squirm out of their warranties.
There are many threads on this forum about better choices. Basically, they boil down to using LT or even P rated tires (if the weight rating is adequate) or using E rated ST tires. I run E rated tires on my 25 Safari. I am going into my third year with no tire problems and no problems due to the harsh ride that the E tires allegedly provide.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
Airstream probably uses Good Year Marathons as OEM because they get a good deal on them.
During my 43 years with Airstream, even when working for their insurance division, I have never known Airstream to chose any part or parts, because of a "good deal".

Granted, they sometimes make a mistake in choosing a particular brand, but when they do, they drop them like a hot potatoe.

One of the more recent supplier problems, is with the windows made by Sege.

Sege adds a setup charge and a packaging charge for every window they supply as a replacement window, plus shipping.

Currently, those charges exceed $300.00, plus the cost of the window.

It's very sad and unfortunate, but even Airstream cannot stop that gouging.

We are about 6 miles from Sege, and they charged us $140.00 to ship a small window, instead of calling us to pick it up.

I am very sure, in this case, that Airstream or Thor, will never buy any more windows from them for production.

Basically, those windows were only used in the Land Yacht motor homes.

Andy
Old 01-31-2010, 10:49 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
Many, MANY tire "failures" are actually the result of valve stem failure. Does yours show any signs of rubber fatigue? There are as many as 30 million installed in rims today that are defective and made out of inferior materials.

Roger
I agree. I have used GoodYear trailer tires since 1977. I've never had a blowout or tire failure, but I have had some defective valve stems.

Ben
Old 02-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby View Post
You have made no mention of the build date in the DOT code on the tire. A code of 2505, would indicate your tires were built the 25th week of the year 2005. Just guessing, Airstream could have had the tires on hand earlier than the build of your trailer.
The build date on the side of the tire is 4605. As stated in my initial post, that equates to a Nov. 2005 build.

Also, (I forget to provide so much information) I spray the tires after every trip with a UV protectant from Camping World. Over the last 1-1/2 years I have used tire covers. The tire that blew is on the side that is in the shade most of the day when not covered.

Considering the hole on the inside of tire wall, I am partial to believing that was the initial penetration and the damage to the outside tire wall might have come after the initial blow-out while the tire was still in motion. The scuffs to the side wall are more than likely due to rolling on the tire to get off the interstate.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #21
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Considering the hole on the inside of tire wall, I am partial to believing that was the initial penetration and the damage to the outside tire wall might have come after the initial blow-out while the tire was still in motion. The scuffs to the side wall are more than likely due to rolling on the tire to get off the interstate.
Tom, I wouldn't assume to much from a sidewall hole. The dynamics of a tire disintegrating don't necessarily follow conventional thinking. I had brand new Michelins on my Born Free moho when the right front stem failed. I had it in the shop for that issue the day before as the tire was losing air. I felt it going flat at interstate speeds, and had it on the shoulder within a mile of the onset, but it still looked very similar to your tire, and had I not known exactly what was happening, I would have looked at the tire and assumed a blowout as well. I don't know what the dynamic of sidewall deterioration is on a rolling tire, but it's interesting.

Roger
Old 02-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #22
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
Tom, I wouldn't assume to much from a sidewall hole. The dynamics of a tire disintegrating don't necessarily follow conventional thinking.
Roger
At the next opportunity I will check on the stem.

Thanks.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #23
_

. , .
hi tom

over 4 years and 30k miles? brand that good performance in an overall sense and no flats in all that time is fortunate ...

not unlike many reports in this thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ons-27999.html

it's impossible to determine what happened to that tire HERE in cyberspace...

except that U stopped in time to prevent wheel well/skin damage from flying rubber...

the pics are cool foder for chatter, that's really all this is...

given the size/mass of the bunkhouse, u might consider E rated gyms or maxxis next go round...

they do offer greater flexibility when matching inflation pressures to axle/tire loads.

and might as well include METAL stems too...

in case u decide to add tpms at a later time.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote