Old 03-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
You may have talked me into this. HF has a 3 gallon pancake compressor that uses 2.6 amps (35 watts?). After the 20% discount that's only $39. I have a 600 watt inverter in the AS, a 400 watt Cobra waterproof inverter that's portable and the TV has one built in, but only 100 watt, I think. I have a spare air hose from the compressor in the garage and I always carry extension cords.

I have an SUV but I think I can fit it in the back. I'll put it on my HF list and wait for a 25% coupon. No hurry, no trips planned at the moment.

2.6A X 120V = 312 Watts

(You may have multiplied times 12 volts?)

HF sells both pancake and "hotdog" tank types. I've owned both...and find the hotdog to be my preference. (It's difficult to believe...seeing them side-by-side ... that the pancake is really a 3 gal. tank.)

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Concord , California
It's an over kill but I carry my Dewalt 6 gal air compressor and power it with my generator.

Happy Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwg View Post
Viar, wired to 20' of cord that plugs into the trucks 7 pin plug

Plus a tire plug kit

Ohhhh! I like that cord idea!
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
I use a Vair 90P with an extension hose. I use truck or coach batteries .
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:39 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
VIAIR 450P-RV and I am really happy with it.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
I use a bicycle pump for routine adjustments to the tires. Two pounds takes about 20 strokes. It both provides me with exercise and the rest of the campground with amusement.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
Ohhhh! I like that cord idea!

No issues with fuses? These pumps pull up to 20A.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:30 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
In the MH I carried a Porter Cable pancake A/C powered air compressor.
But I ran 95 pounds in the tires and tried several small units that overheated or quit before suppling that much pressure. I also had lots of storage space.
I thought about keeping the compressor in the truck, but if I downsize, it seems the Viair 88P gets rave reviews.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Portable Air

I carry a container of compressed air in a 5 gal cylinder called "Mobile Air". I fill it up with my compressor at home before I leave on a trip. It will to fill up a tire in an emergency and can hold up to 125 psi. I also use it to blow out my lines at my storage spot at the end of my traveling season since I have no electricity there.

Hank
HankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:04 AM   #52
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Air compressors are like generators, pressure-washers, etc.... It's not the maximum voltage the generator puts out... it's not the maximum water pressure the washer puts out.... it's not the max PSI the compressor puts out ...that does the work. It's the WATTS, the Gallons/Minute, the Cubic Feet @ 90 PSI that does the work.
Small air compressors (especially most 12 volt models) cannot do much work. For example, they cannot seat the bead on a freshly-mounted tire because they don't have the volume necessary to fill the tire quickly. So if you wake up in the morning and your tire is flat on the ground and separated from the wheel/rim... good luck getting it inflated sufficiently to raise the vehicle enough to get a jack beneath the axle to change the tire... or to roll the vehicle to a nearby service station or reposition the vehicle to a safe work area.
A 3 or 4 gal. tank with an integral high-output compressor is capable of real work. That will likely only be found on a 120 volt model. (Good excuse to install an inverter, Heh?)
My TV is a P/U so I have room for a 3-gal Harbor Fright unit that does a good job for $39. My on-board inverter powers it. (small 400 watt unit from Pep-Boys, on-sale for $19.). An extension cord, a 25' hose, and air fittings and the compressor ALL fit inside the RamBox on one side of my truck, but will also fit in the bed of P/U's or in the storage area of most RVs.
Great minds think alike. Or, maybe it's just because I already had my 110v air tank before I started camping.

All these posts using the very nice but, very fancy schmancy portables require an 'engine to be running' to use are hooking up straight to their batteries which may or may not be plugged in to a 110v power source.

With the advent of 110v outlets in TV's and that most campsites have 110v feeds, I just use my Bostich single tank, 110v, oil-less tanker. A bit heavier, a bit bulkier, but a heck of a lot more powerful and like I said, it was paid for before I started this camping thing.

It comes in handy as well when it's time to blow the fresh waterlines before hitting the trail.

Those little guys are really nice but, what a price to pay for a bicycle pump.

Love those RamBox's eh?

2015 RAM Laramie Eco-Diesel 4x4 crew cab w/RAM box
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
2.6A X 120V = 312 Watts

(You may have multiplied times 12 volts?)

HF sells both pancake and "hotdog" tank types. I've owned both...and find the hotdog to be my preference. (It's difficult to believe...seeing them side-by-side ... that the pancake is really a 3 gal. tank.)
Yes, a "D'oh" moment My bad.
I looked at the pancake and hot dog compressors, both don't get great reviews. Space is a huge consideration for me with the SUV. I found a 2 gallon at Home Depot, Husky brand, that got some decent reviews but it's $79.

Several years ago I got tired of shoving quarters into the pay compressors. (Remember when the air hose was next to the water spigot on the island with the gas pumps? That's when they were called 'service' stations and not gas stations.) Last one had a tear in the hose and I lost air while the pump was going. I got a 3 gallon Craftsman pump for the garage and it works well for me, small footprint too. I have 4 cars, the AS and a boat trailer; lots of tires.

I'm still on the fence about whether to take one along or not. I can think of only one time in my life that I had a spare that was flat and a compressor or hand pump would have helped. Most of these small ones get good reviews for just topping off tires, which is all I need. On the other hand (OTOH), the bicycle pump has worked for two long trips and it takes up next to nothing in space or cost.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankO View Post
I carry a container of compressed air in a 5 gal cylinder called "Mobile Air". I fill it up with my compressor at home before I leave on a trip. It will to fill up a tire in an emergency and can hold up to 125 psi. I also use it to blow out my lines at my storage spot at the end of my traveling season since I have no electricity there.

Hank

Hank, I've got one of those too and considered it as well as a possible solution.

Based on what I've seen here I purchased a Viar 88. It fits behind the rear seat in my Ram next to my bottle jack, tow straps, ratchet straps, spare hitches, etc.

joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote