Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I did the same thing with a label maker and in the same location, but not for check list items. I have systematically located not often used items in the MANY nooks and crannies in the AS. Behind counter drawers, under bed drawers, under dinette and under the under-fridge drawers, the empty space behind the credenza....etc. Then after months (or years) of not needing them....I do, and have no clue where I stuck them. The list tells me where they are.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Sorry, Rich, but I just had a vision of one of your labels affixed to the toilet, saying something like "crap goes in here"...
Old 11-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Sorry, Rich, but I just had a vision of one of your labels affixed to the toilet, saying something like "crap goes in here"...
No, the label is on the interior of the propane lid, so I have to go outside, garments around my ankles, so I can determine where the crap goes.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #24
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
My ESTJ (Myers Briggs Type Indicator) resonates with some of these highly precise checklists....but there is a fine line between being scheduled, planned, and orderly and OCD!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
My ESTJ (Myers Briggs Type Indicator) resonates with some of these highly precise checklists....but there is a fine line between being scheduled, planned, and orderly and OCD!
Well, not really. I have a good friend disabled with OCD. It's a nasty brain disorder. He can't do much because his is never sure it was done, like close a door. But there is a fine line between a precise and detailed checklist and being a dweeb! Like the PO of my trailer and his keeping track of flushes to fill the tank.

I sometimes see the red flags on military aircraft at the airport. I think these help humans remember to check this before flight. I leave my deadbolt key with a big yellow key fob in the door as we load up to move out. I lock the door as I finish up with my chores. It is a visual reminder for me. I left it unlocked once with a sprung door as punishment for my mistake.

How many of us have forgotten to pull the chocks, lift the tongue jack, or the steps? There is a sign at the exit of some campgrounds reminding us if the spouse is on board. Maybe I should add that to my checklist. Heaven help me if I ever drove off without her. A sprung door would be mild in comparison to the punishment for that mistake!

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:15 AM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Well, not really. I have a good friend disabled with OCD. It's a nasty brain disorder. He can't do much because his is never sure it was done, like close a door. But there is a fine line between a precise and detailed checklist and being a dweeb! Like the PO of my trailer and his keeping track of flushes to fill the tank.

I sometimes see the red flags on military aircraft at the airport. I think these help humans remember to check this before flight. I leave my deadbolt key with a big yellow key fob in the door as we load up to move out. I lock the door as I finish up with my chores. It is a visual reminder for me. I left it unlocked once with a sprung door as punishment for my mistake.

How many of us have forgotten to pull the chocks, lift the tongue jack, or the steps? There is a sign at the exit of some campgrounds reminding us if the spouse is on board. Maybe I should add that to my checklist. Heaven help me if I ever drove off without her. A sprung door would be mild in comparison to the punishment for that mistake!

David
We get several trailers during the course of the year with mangled stabilizers, tongue jacks, even some plumbing (yes, black as well as fresh) destroyed from people forgetting to check before leaving. When I do a new-owner orientation, I emphasize "checklists are your friends".
I remember a friend pulling away from his campsite with the trailer still connected to the shore power pedestal. Nearly half the campground got blacked out from that little misadventure...
Old 01-01-2015, 07:40 AM   #27
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
My wife takes care of all OCD requirements. She has "lists" galore on her cell phone. So, I leave notes for her there..

"Remember that I love you!" And other similar useless items she can ignore...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:03 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
A friend told me that before I move I need to "Look up Look down and all Around"! Works for me! Most times it's the TV antenna that needs to be stowed.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
At the risk of being identified as the MOST anal of all of us, I now confess that I have a compartment by compartment, shelf by shelf, LOADING LIST OF EVERYTHING IN THE TRAILER AND THE TOW VEHICLE. After a year on the road, everything had its place so we just did an inventory. This time of year when we are packing a nearly empty trailer we get a chance to evaluate each item, eliminate those we never use and be pretty confident that we have not left anything essential behind. Combined with another exhaustive list of the food items and utensils we customarily carry, we can assemble the whole "Load Out" at home before retrieving the trailer from storage. They say Napoleon learned how to move an army by studying the circus ....

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
First off... I love the idea of labeling each shelf.... I will do this and it will make packing easier. In the meantime, some of my various labels or laminated cards.... and as i do not like all the "legal" labels on the trailer, i have removed these and repasted them inside the propane tank lid. First i photographed them and printed so i can show them to any authority figure who may have an interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alana_Labels_01.01.15-2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	229621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alana_Labels_01.01.15-3.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	229622  

Name:	Alana_Labels_01.01.15-4.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	229623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alana_Labels_01.01.15.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	229624  

Name:	Alana_Labels_01.01.15-5.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	229625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alana_Labels_01.01.15-6.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	229626  

AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
First off... I love the idea of labeling each shelf.... I will do this and it will make packing easier. In the meantime, some of my various labels or laminated cards.... and as i do not like all the "legal" labels on the trailer, i have removed these and repasted them inside the propane tank lid. First i photographed them and printed so i can show them to any authority figure who may have an interest.

Hi, I don't have, or make, lists and I finally removed all of my inside warning labels. But I do have something similar and it's more for the tire shop than me.

Note: you will need to click the first picture to enlarge it to see my label.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5279crop.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	229650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5279.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	229651  

Name:	IMG_5281.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	229652  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:38 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
One of the consequences of growing chronologically more mature is, some parts of us do not function as well as we might like. Some call it benign senile forgetfulness, some call it CRS. Anyway, in pulling a trailer, mistakes can be dangerous and expensive. It is not like leaving out an ingredient of a cake, no big deal.

So, lists, and anything which makes technical data easily accessed, are very helpful for the geriatric crowd, especially.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote