Old 05-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
What a day and the jack broke!!!!!

We took the Peppy to our local tire and repair shop early this morning to have the brakes checked, bearings checked out and greased and just pretty much of a check up. I have worried about it all day, have gotten so picky about this trailer and other people working on it. Anyway we also still have the leak in the A/c from needing to replace the gasket and today's afternoon forcast was for rain. As I went to pick my son up at school a small hail storm came thru and I was about to panic so we flew over to the repair shop thank goodness the guy had backed Peppy into one of the bays safe sound and dry. The bad news and I felt so sorry for the guy as they were jacking the trailer up he broke his jack but they had found another one from some other place but couldnt use it until tomorrow. Fine with me Peppy is inside for the night with more bad weather tonight and tomorrow. He told me the jack was a heavy duty and asked me the wieght and I told him around 5000 lbs I couldnt remember. Has anyone else had this happen?
He also installed my new brake box I got for Christmas (prodigy)
Wish me luck on what comes tomorrow.

Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
We took the Peppy to our local tire and repair shop early this morning to have the brakes checked, bearings checked out and greased and just pretty much of a check up. I have worried about it all day, have gotten so picky about this trailer and other people working on it. Anyway we also still have the leak in the A/c from needing to replace the gasket and today's afternoon forcast was for rain. As I went to pick my son up at school a small hail storm came thru and I was about to panic so we flew over to the repair shop thank goodness the guy had backed Peppy into one of the bays safe sound and dry. The bad news and I felt so sorry for the guy as they were jacking the trailer up he broke his jack but they had found another one from some other place but couldnt use it until tomorrow. Fine with me Peppy is inside for the night with more bad weather tonight and tomorrow. He told me the jack was a heavy duty and asked me the wieght and I told him around 5000 lbs I couldnt remember. Has anyone else had this happen?
He also installed my new brake box I got for Christmas (prodigy)
Wish me luck on what comes tomorrow.
Wow, he did not use a "bottle jack"??? Good luck with the new sneakers!

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
The thing about it is he is the only place I could find that would do the work. I'm not worried he has done some other work for us and it was all done right.
In fact I think he is going to be a great person to have, when I went this afternoon to check on the trailer there were 2 really old convertible cars of some kind sitting in the other bay really old and cool looking he told me those were his babies and then he pointed to a motorcycle all shined up and told me that was his son's. So the Airstream looked right at home, I asked him if he would rent me the space to store Peppy and he kinda laughed, I was serious I'll ask him again tomorrow.
Air# 9552
Old 05-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I believe that 5000 #'s may be a bit on the low side.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-09-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Beck, 5000 #'s is in the ballpark for dry weight. Remember, tho, dry weight means no water on board, no gas in the tanks, no sheets on the bed, sneakers under the gaucho, etc.

Here's the link to the AIrstream website that show's all the weights by year & model: http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p.../weights-1.pdf

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:49 PM   #6
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Good luck, we really like the Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
He also installed my new brake box I got for Christmas (prodigy)Wish me luck on what comes tomorrow.
Hey Becky,
Sounds like it will be a great day tomorrow with your new brake controller. We chose one last year based on forum recs, and really are pleased with it.
It really did well in the mountains between here and NC and back again.
We noticed a very positive difference.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
The shop must be using a floor jack,as they will break hydraulically when its overloaded.balrgn has it right ,they should be using a bottle jack.No cheapo units either.My jack of choice is a 12 ton .Because you want one that is heavy duty and has a large stable base .Most smaller jacks are puny. Most however do not fit under the axle ,so the reason for the floor jack if thats what they were using.

Scott
Old 05-11-2006, 12:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
End of the story!!!

Well we ended up with a whole new brake job. It makes me feel safer on the roads now. Up to now I have not pulled the trailer my husband has, but today I have to go pick it up, the last trailer I pulled was a 30 ft gooseneck horse trailer and that was about 8 years ago sure hope it's like a bicycle.

Air# 9552