Old 08-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #15
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Gilmurr,

With that weight, I would go along with what Top is saying. Your weight is to close to the limit for the Michelin tires. JMHO

AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We had the Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires on our 2013 25FB International Serenity with a GVW of 7,300 pounds. Loaded for camping the axles were supporting 5,950 pounds. The tongue weight was 1,175 pounds camping ready.

These tires need to be derated 10% from 2,183 pounds load capacity (on side wall) at 50 psi to 1,985 pounds for trailer use per Federal regulation 49 CFR 571.110. Four tires would support 7,940 pounds.

They would probably carry the axle load with a 10% safety margin if the the loaded axle weight was under 7,150 pounds. The tire purchase decision requires a scale weigh ticket with the trailer fully loaded for camping to have an accurate axle load versus wishful thinking. Even better would be individual tire loads information to be sure no one tire is overloaded.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #17
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
My experience with a Canada shop is that they always carefully torque the nuts but do not ever balance trailer tires. No matter whether I wanted them to or not.

I now have Centramatics.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Switz; I am looking at the Firestone Destination LE 2. They appear to have the same specs as the Michelins. All 4 balanced and installed for under $600. Tires are 235 75R 15. Made in Canada.
I know one person using these tires and has several K miles on them and was concerned about the 50 PSI. He said the trailer runs softer and has not affected the MPG
Old 08-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
I have read that it is a DOT or FMVSS requirement to fit replacement tires with equal or higher load carrying capacity than the manufacturer's recommended tires on the tire placard. While I can't find that guidance on DOT or FMVSS web sites, every tire manufacturer I checked, including goodyear, Nitto, continental and maxxis has this in their selection recommendations. In my case that results in tires with nearly 10,000 lb. of load carrying capacity on a trailer with a GVWR of only 6300 lb. I'm reluctant to use tires with 10 or 20 percent margin over the GVWR.

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Hello Gilmurr. I put a set of Maxmiler ST 228/75/15 on my 34'. They have a weight rating of 2830 lb. per tire with a max inflation of 80 psi. I am running at 60 lb. now and seem to be good. Price was decent, and I am happy with them. Make sure you get them balanced! I don't think that you will find a LT tire that will give you this kind of rating.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
In doing the research on here that led to my 16" tire decision, I found several posts questioning whether it was legal or appropriate to use LT-rated tires on a trailer. While looking for tire placard information I found this, which should put the issue to rest, at least for trailers under 10,000 lb. I believe this only applies to LT-xxx tires, not P-xxx-LT tires.

49 CFR 571.110 - TIRE SELECTION AND RIMS AND MOTOR HOME/RECREATION VEHICLE TRAILER LOAD CARRYING CAPACITY INFORMATION FOR MOTOR VEHICLES WITH A GVWR OF 4,536 KILOGRAMS (10,000 POUNDS) OR LESS.
Under definitions:
Light truck (LT) tire means a tire designated by its manufacturer as primarily intended for use on lightweight trucks or multipurpose passenger vehicles.

And under
S4.2.2Tire load limits for multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses, and trailers.

This:
4.2.2.3(b) For vehicles, except trailers with no designated seating positions, equipped with LT tires, the vehicle normal load on the tire shall be no greater than 94 percent of the load rating at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressure for that tire.

This says to me that LT tires are legal on trailers and need not be derated.

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #22
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We balanced. And added Centramatics. The Centramatics stopped drawer creep...at least on the AS...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:25 AM   #23
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Gilmurr - and anyone else interested:

It appears that tire suffered a puncture of some sort.

The tread and top belt are more or less intact and only the sidewall appears to have damage - and the sidewall damage is from running the tire without inflation pressure (which Capt. Obvious will tell you is what happens after you have a blowout.)

If you still have the tire, look for a penetration.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
Thanks all for your advise and comments....will keep looking to see what I can find. Agree that the LTX tires will not do.
Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #25
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Gilmurr - and anyone else interested:

It appears that tire suffered a puncture of some sort.

The tread and top belt are more or less intact and only the sidewall appears to have damage - and the sidewall damage is from running the tire without inflation pressure (which Capt. Obvious will tell you is what happens after you have a blowout.)

If you still have the tire, look for a penetration.
I might get in trouble here ....... as I don't know the proper words to describe the condition and tire parts.

Is there a difference between a "blowout" and damage from debris on the road? Let me call it rapid deflation.

If the tire cords (or ply or??) broke internally and caused the tire to "Blow out" would that not be different than a tire penetration from road debris?

So yeah there was a major event. However if the event occured because of an external foreign object then the tire was basically good. It may have been aged and where a brand new tire may have been able to throw off or survive a foreign object and an older tire with less tread may not have been able to do this. And yet if the tire was damaged because of road debris technically the tire isn't at fault.

Is my thinking close to possible for the subject tire?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-07-2014, 05:15 AM   #26
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
I might get in trouble here ....... as I don't know the proper words to describe the condition and tire parts.........
I don't think such trivial things like not knowing the exact names should be an issue for the learning process. Those of us who have spent a lot of time in a particular field do indeed develop jargon, but the most important thing is that we have carefully decided the definition on the names we apply to things - but I think what comes along with that is an understanding that not only is the common vernacular different, but it might vary from person to person.

But that should not prevent you from asking questions - nor should that prevent me from giving you an understandable answer.

Quote:
.........Is there a difference between a "blowout" and damage from debris on the road? Let me call it rapid deflation.........
In my world the term "blowout" is rarely used because the term has been applied to so many things, it is unclear what it means. I tend to think the original usage of the word dealt with rapid deflation (sort of the way the word seems to imply), but the term also is used to describe what happens when a tire is "Run Flat" - that is operated without benefit of pressurized air or when the top belt comes off - commonly called a tread separation.

So the first usage of the term - rapid deflation - is almost always caused by road debris of some sort - either an object the cuts through the tire or one that causes enough damage to break enough cords so the pressurized air can no longer be contained. This is hardly ever caused by something internal to the tire.

Quote:
......If the tire cords (or ply or??) broke internally and caused the tire to "Blow out" would that not be different than a tire penetration from road debris? .........
That would be correct - except to say that ply cords hardly ever break unless there is an outside cause.

Quote:
.......So yeah there was a major event. However if the event occured because of an external foreign object then the tire was basically good. It may have been aged and where a brand new tire may have been able to throw off or survive a foreign object and an older tire with less tread may not have been able to do this. And yet if the tire was damaged because of road debris technically the tire isn't at fault..........
That would also be correct - except to say that it's the rubber that ages and not the ply cords or the steel belts. (OK, those age, too, but the rate those components age is much, much slower than rubber and aren't really a part of what we are referring to when we talk about old tires.

Quote:
............Is my thinking close to possible for the subject tire?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Sounds like you are pretty close to the mark.

Barry
Old 08-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
Anyone have experience with TowMax tires, either load range D or E?

MAX51 ST225/75R15* D/8 10 2200@65
MAX53 ST225/75R15* E/10 10 2490@80
Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
towmax

I have not used TowMax, but I think Tire Rack sells them. you could look at the reviews for that tire, and see what other people say their experience was with it. Its hard to find a trailer tire on their website.

Have a good one.